washer fluid light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
my washer fluid level(low) light keeps coming on on my 03 SL350, i topped it up and haven't used it and it comes back on again?
I cant see any obvious signs of a leak. could it be a sensor?
Thanks

If the light goes out when you top up then it must be a leak, might be a slow leak.
If the light stays on when you top up then its likely a sensor.

Dec

Ok, so I've sussed out its leaking.
Anyone any ideas on how to repair this?
Thanks

Depends on the nature of the leak, if it’s a rubber washer at the washer pump then perhaps the MB dealer can supply a replacement.

If its a leak through the plastic tank wall then you could try painting some kind of sealer/mastic on the inside of the part of the tank wall that’s leaking.

Had this problem on a W202 tank and solved it with a sealant spread on the inside of the tank where the leak was located.
To find a leak in the tank wall, remove the tank and put a lighted light bulb inside the tank, this will show up areas of the tank wall that might be too thin, those tanks are blow moulded and can some times be paper thin in places resulting in very slow, weeping leaks.

Dec

Last edited:
I don't know how to get it all to bits! That's my problem.
Once I've got it stripped I'll be able to fix it.

Any ideas on that?
Thanks

Didn't some models share the washer level circuit with the coolant expansion tank sensor ?

Behind the drivers front wheel arch liner. It could be the the pipe that goes to the headlamp washers I've heard

I can't see where the leak is from.
The water tank is all hidden away underneath a load of other stuff. Ive not had time to Have a good look yet.
I just don't want to start it, then it turn into a massive job!
At the moment it's not to bad, as the light only comes on after a while, not straight away.
I'm sure if it's easy enough to get to and remove I'll be able to repair it.
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice so far. My work schedule is hectic so I'm not getting a lot of chance to look at it.

Behind the drivers front wheel arch liner. It could be the the pipe that goes to the headlamp washers I've heard

Thats where I see the water leaking from, behind the front wheel. But that is also where the washer bottle is!

If you can put up a pictures or two then someone may be able to advise on how it comes out.

Dec

I changed the sensor on my washer bottle as it was duff, but if you are ordering a new one from MB or the o ring/ washer as it is a separate item it is simply an interference fit.

Right, so I've had the wheel arch liner out, and It looks like the pipe/feed into the bottle wasn't a very snug fit. The car is parked forwards on the drive with the nose down and when I filled it, it leaked from the joints.
I'm guessing it's just bumped and bounced it's water out to below the warning level?
Anyway, ive cleaned it and sealed it.
So I'll see how it goes!
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom