Washing wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr-Goose

Car
E350 Coupé
I wash my car every week or two and it generally doesn't take very long except for the wheels. I have AMG 6 twin spoke wheels. After I have washed and dried the rest of the car I wash the wheels by hand using a car shampoo and a sponge. I don't care about washing the entire depth of the wheel, just the outer face, spokes and up to the main ridge (the most visible part). But it takes ages poking in and out of the spokes, especially the narrow openings. I have a jet wash but it would take equally long to get it out, connect it and put it away afterwards. I also don't trust the high pressure and don't want dirty wheel water spraying back onto the house render.

Is there a better (quicker) way?

Get some one else to do for you?

I use these on my ceramic coated alloys

image.jpg

Wheel Woolies - Wheel Brush Kit - Clean Your Car

That looks like a plan. I was always hesitant to get the brushes as they seemed a little too "scratchy" but these look perfect. Thanks.

Another vote for Wheel Woolies. By far the best purchase I've ever made for car cleaning. Still takes a while to do the wheels, but far quicker and much more effective than anything else. I just use normal car shampoo and my wheels still look like New after five years.

I use Bilberry wheel cleaner + the Extra long wheel brush, which does the inside as well :thumb:

I use bilt hamber Auto-Wheel and just hose it off after a few mins.

If done once a week or so you won't need to mess about with a brush, just spray and rinse.

I use Bilberry wheel cleaner + the Extra long wheel brush, which does the inside as well :thumb:
+ 1

Bilberry wheel cleaner makes the job much easier plus you can dilute to your liking.

If you are just after something that gives your wheels a decent wash that doesn't take ages, get yourself to a cheap shop and buy a dustpan and brush. I use the brush on the wheels and around the bottom of the sills where I don't want a sponge/mitt to go. I also use it on my bikes wheels and underside and it is very good. As a bonus you also get a dustpan to put on a shelf in the garage..

I tried the Bilberry spray and while it did take off a lot of the dirt it still left enough behind that they still needed washing (from only 10 days of dirt). I was surprised to read the warning on the bottle, "do not spray on plastic, including the wheel cap". It's designed to be sprayed on wheels and yet not on the wheel cap. Who thought of that? Of those that use it, have you had it affect any plastics on your car? I think I will still use it just to lighten the washing load.

However, the Wheel Woolies were superb. Made it so much easier. Especially getting into the corners. Probably cut the time down in half.

If you buy the good quality PH neutral products they should not harm the plastics as they are designed to attack the metal dust that comes off the brakes. I've been using the Carpro product which seems to me pretty good. It is now running low and i will try the Bilt Hamber next - it had a good review on "forensic Detailing's" Youtube channel.

After I have washed and dried the rest of the car I wash the wheels by hand using a car shampoo and a sponge. Is there a better (quicker) way?

Have you considered applying a wheel sealant to limit how dirty they get? Have a look at this ultra hydrophobic spray from those inscrutable Japanese, a 200ml aerosol of the stuff costs £17: Brake Dust Blocker

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've never seen these before in the Netherlands.

I'll see if I can get them soon. Thanks for the tip.

I have just tried Dragons Breath from the people who make Billbery wheel cleaner (Auto Valet) on my VW and Her indoors Yaris that are both really dirty I was amazed at how well it cleaned them

I have just tried Dragons Breath from the people who make Billbery wheel cleaner (Auto Valet) on my VW and Her indoors Yaris that are both really dirty I was amazed at how well it cleaned them

Did you still need to wash the wheels or was rinsing it off enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom