Waste of money or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Moving them to Birmingham for five years would be good.

Anyway, it's ripe for redevelopment into a tea shoppe.

Is the pope catholic? As a big parliamentary fan Charles the First once said ---allegedly.;)

I think it's easy to justify having it in a good state of repair, no question. It's the 3bn figure that should be scrutinised, that's some hill of money.

As a worldwide icon, the money must be spent. Tourism etc will easily recoup the money over a short period anyway. It is a no brainer for me!

Knock it down, make an underground car park - it will generate less hot air than the current building.

Ground floor - KFC, Pret, Costa, Eat and Burger King to help subsidise costs. Upper floor(s) for MP's. Use the same pre-fab building technology like Travelodge use.

Job done. :D

It's a Unesco World Heritage site of the most considerable importance.

It is going to cost a lot because it requires an almost total rebuilding, using crafts and techniques that are no longer commonplace and very labour intensive. As the money spent is most likely to be recycled within the UK economy, where we have excellent craftsmen to do this work, it is probably the best money that the government could spend.

It is going to cost a lot because it requires an almost total rebuilding, using crafts and techniques that are no longer commonplace and very labour intensive. As the money spent is most likely to be recycled within the UK economy, where we have excellent craftsmen to do this work, it is probably the best money that the government could spend.

I would be inclined to take a very brutal approach if they go ahead and spend what is needed to modernise it - keep / restore the external facades and the major areas but take it as an opportunity to rebuild a lot of the less apparent parts.

If it takes 10 years and parliament has to be moved then just do it and do it properly.

I was impressed by the vacuum system when I visited. The skirting boards have apertures to fit flexible cleaner wotsits and there is a big sucky thing in the cellar. Bonkers.

Having thought about this a bit more I have concluded this is heaven sent opportunity to build a new parliamentary building on a green field site ---- It should be on a centrally located purpose built government campus away from any existing major conurbation to reflect that its a UK parliament not a London/Manchester/Birmingham one. Take a look at the new Parliamentary building in Canberra Australia to see what's possible. This would symbolise a country grasping the future not living in the past. :dk:

1920px-Australian_House_of_Representatives_-_Parliament_of_Australia.jpg

1280px-Parliament_House_Canberra_2.jpg

Category:Australian House of Representatives chamber, Parliament House - Wikimedia Commons
1280px-Australian_parliament_house04.jpg

This would symbolise a country grasping the future not living in the past. :dk:

I don't have an issue with keeping traditions going.

I also look at the Scottish parliament building travesty and the way costs escalated and think ..... oh no not again.

However *moving* the UK parliament to Canberra does sound like a rather nice idea.

I was impressed by the vacuum system when I visited. The skirting boards have apertures to fit flexible cleaner wotsits and there is a big sucky thing in the cellar. Bonkers.

Quite a few housed have these abroad, great idea.

However *moving* the UK parliament to Canberra does sound like a rather nice idea.

Maybe they should take a tip from their tax avoidance advisor friends and move them all off-shore :D

I think the exterior should be kept and maintained as it is but there is scope for redevelopment internally. Perhaps a Travelodge style accommodation for the MP's thus saving £000's on expenses, many people use this type every day when they are working away so there can be no cause for complaint. Bars & restaurants are already on site so they'll be well catered for.

I think the exterior should be kept and maintained as it is but there is scope for redevelopment internally. Perhaps a Travelodge style accommodation for the MP's thus saving £000's on expenses, many people use this type every day when they are working away so there can be no cause for complaint. :mad:SUBSIDISED :mad: Bars & restaurants are already on site so they'll be well catered for.

Fixed that for you...;)

Perhaps a Travelodge style accommodation for the MP's thus saving £000's on expenses, many people use this type every day when they are working away so there can be no cause for complaint.

Maybe we should be thinking of regional branches of parliament where MS should attend for normal parliamentary business - with Wesminster as the HQ for the large votes. Look at using advanced tele-debating chambers to combine the regional branches as well as telemeeting rooms. MPs would stick closer to their consttuencies and the house flipping nonsense would eliminated.

And yes - setup a members 'lodge' in Westminster for those attending down south away from their constituencies.

Many newer homes have that.

Quite a few housed have these abroad, great idea.

And here...and in the kitchen you just sweep the floor and open an aperture and everything gets sucked away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom