WatchDog RAC Scam....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSB SL AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
BBC1 WatchDog now....RAC battery Scam....

They did this before probably 20 years ago? Or the AA did - I forget which.

Overcharging, excuse the pun, for batteries I think it was.

Replacing perfectly good battery's roadside...even there own test shows good:doh:

Study of 10 cars with good verified battery's, RAC rejected 8 stating new one required:wallbash:, which they just happened to have on the van:rolleyes:

RAC reply...they were following national stealer testing methods and practices:p

They did this before probably 20 years ago? Or the AA did - I forget which.

Overcharging, excuse the pun, for batteries I think it was.

Last edited:
Didn't see the program, but rang Porsche today for a price on an 80Ah battery today - they quoted £185+VAT :eek: :fail

It's just a regular lead acid 096 fitment battery for a 10+ year old car. What the hell is that about? If it had been half sensible (£100/120 inc VAT maybe?) I might have gone with it to keep stuff original but no chance at that price/age of the car.

I think the last MB 096 battery I bought earlier this year was £62+VAT - a bit of a difference, and that was for a 100Ah..:doh:

I'll stick with a Varta/Bosch etc for this one I think.

To balance this thread - A few years ago my Honda failed to start. I called out the RAC and they diagnosed a dying/dead battery. They could supply a replacement from their van for £x.xx. But he advised me to walk abut 200 yards to Halfords where a replacement would cost me less. The RAC man waited by my car while I went to get the battery, he then fitted it and made sure that everything was OK.

And when you pull the Porsche label back it will generally show Bosch / Varta anyway:doh: so definitely always best to shop around...

Didn't see the program, but rang Porsche today for a price on an 80Ah battery today - they quoted £185+VAT :eek: :fail

It's just a regular lead acid 096 fitment battery for a 10+ year old car. What the hell is that about? If it had been half sensible (£100/120 inc VAT maybe?) I might have gone with it to keep stuff original but no chance at that price/age of the car.

I think the last MB 096 battery I bought earlier this year was £62+VAT - a bit of a difference, and that was for a 100Ah..:doh:

I'll stick with a Varta/Bosch etc for this one I think.

Over the years, (having been a member since the 1980's) I have had a number of batteries replaced by the RAC. Generally the battery failure has been after a 2-3 week holiday, and while a jump start has got the engine going, I've been happy to accept that a 5-6 year old battery is past it's best.

On most of these occasions, I have had to persuade the patrol to sell me a new battery - never have I had any "hard sell". On one occasion a RAC battery failed after about 18 months - it was replaced very promptly without quibble.

On the occasion that I needed a battery for my W204 and the Mercedes battery was a better price, the patrol jump started me and then followed me (about 10 miles) to the MB dealership.

I'm quite happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom