Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Finally did a deal yesterday at our local Land Rover dealer on a used Discovery 4, and was chatting to the salesman about how to politely qualify a customer before allowing them lose in a £100k Range Rover on a test drive.

Nice chap who said he looks at clothes, car they turned up in but mainly the wrist watch.

He said I'd been tricky as I obviously worked with my hands for a living and wore no watch!

Glad to be classless!

I would book the test drive online and make my appearance in a £500 car watchless.

I knew that £10 fake Rolex I got off the flea market in Tenerife would come in handy one day... :)

I'm short sighted now so I don't bother with a watch. I just look at by iPhone. My dream of getting a test drive in an S500 convertible have now been shattered :(

I'm short sighted now so I don't bother with a watch. I just look at by iPhone. My dream of getting a test drive in an S500 convertible have now been shattered :(

If your eyesight is so poor you can't see a watch I'd be reluctant to let you loose on a bicycle never mind a car:rolleyes:

If your eyesight is so poor you can't see a watch I'd be reluctant to let you loose on a bicycle never mind a car:rolleyes:

Ah... I meant long sighted.... You see, I don't even know the difference! :fail

As a Swiss watch wearer, I do notice some salespeople (not just car peeps) keep casting furtive glances at the wrist. I clock it's the watch they're interested in. Never know if it's the person trying to weigh up a customers "social standing" or a genuine interest in horology.

Doesn't bother me but I do assume that this is what well endowed women have to deal with when talking with men. It's is so obvious. Has helped me modify my glancing technique to a much more sophisticated one :)

My son came up against this type of scenario a few years back, he wanted to buy one of those Chrysler PT Cruisers, had 90% of the cash price available, the Salesperson completely ignored him as he was wearing jeans and a tee shirt and then was basically a snob to his face.

When he told him what he was there for, all attitudes changed, until he told him where he could put his car stock (no sun shines there). Walked out and bought a Landrover Defender!

My son came up against this type of scenario a few years back, he wanted to buy one of those Chrysler PT Cruisers, had 90% of the cash price available, the Salesperson completely ignored him as he was wearing jeans and a tee shirt and then was basically a snob to his face.

When he told him what he was there for, all attitudes changed, until he told him where he could put his car stock (no sun shines there). Walked out and bought a Landrover Defender!

Lucky escape!

I watched a TV documentary about this behaviour. They sent people into various "top drawer" shops, dressed in various outfits, jewelry and hairstyles etc.

It was indeed very sad to see the exact same person be treated so differently in the same shops, simply because of their attire. In some shops the assistants were actually openly hostile when confronted with jeans and t-shirts.

FYI: I think that everybody should at some point in their life try and own a really nice watch (nice is subjective). It does change how you feel about yourself and how others feel about you. Wrong on so many levels but hey? We know this with nice cars. It is superficial and can be insulting, but looks are 99% what we gain our first impressions from.

Similar story happened to a young asian friend of mine. Years ago he went into the local jag showroom dressed in (smart) jeans and t shirt. He looked around and none of the salesmen would ask him what he was after or if they could help. He got ignored and eventually had to go to the salesman who asked what he was after. He said a new [model] and the salesman smirked saying and how would you be paying for that? The friend pulled out a gold card and said put it on there.

Needless to say the attitude changed and he was offered drinks etc and given the VIP service

Recently my son-in-law was looking to change his car (a Kia Cee'd) for something with a bit more leg room (he and my daughter are quite tall) and with more room for baby seat and pushchair etc. Plus they wanted something a bit more 'up market'. So my daughter, who is a science professional currently on maternity leave, visited a number of dealerships during the daytime on her own, with our new grand-daughter and associated parafinalia, in the Kia.

Mazda (her car is an MX5), Ford, BMW, Audi basically ignored her or showed little interest to her enquiries. Mercedes on the other hand, made her feel welcome, showed her around the new C-class estate and suggested she come back with pushchair and husband to make sure everything fitted and so they could both go for a test drive and hopefully agree on a spec etc.

They ended up with a brand new C220d Sport Premium Estate in Selenite Grey with Night Pack, 360 camera. Very pleased with the car (got a heck of a discount too).

BMW et al properly lost out on the chance to make a sale.

They ended up with a brand new C220d Sport Premium Estate in Selenite Grey with Night Pack, 360 camera. Very pleased with the car (got a heck of a discount too).

BMW et al properly lost out on the chance to make a sale.

Simply a salesman and not an order taker. :thumb:

I've a couple of high end watches in my modest collection but I simply cannot imagine a situation where I would dress to try and impress a car salesman.

FWIW, the watch I wear most often is a Blue TAG Heuer Aquaracer with an automatic movement that I got about five-years ago. Always wanted a decent watch and this one came along as a gift. I would like an Omega Seamaster one day, but will probably not commit to shelling out the few grand it would cost to purchase one.

I have a couple of other watches, both of which are Accurist quartz movement models. Had these for years and are plenty good enough for my needs.

I take the Honda and my £200 Casio when buying cars. I leave the nice watch and car at home. Not had a problem getting test drives and got some OK discounts - I like to haggle.

Can't say I've really found this when going to look at cars, but then I've never forked out £00000s on a new car.

I've always bought secondhand. Generally though I always speak to the salesperson on the phone before turning up so they know I'm serious. When I bought the CLK, it was 100 miles away in Bristol. I grilled the sales guy on the phone with 101 questions and arranged to view it Saturday morning.

It was only £12k so not mega pricey, but he just chucked me the keys and told me to go enjoy the car for an hour. I did, came back, and bought it on the spot. Pretty nice transaction.

I was wearing my £500 Tissot but that is not an impressive watch! I think if you call ahead and act interested you usually get treated OK. In my experience anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom