Water ingress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm, have to agree, looks like some sort of drain away, keeping fingers crossed i will find out tomorrow, its just if the wiper arms come off with out fighting back alot.
I will let you know in due course.

Update>>>> Today I performed the strip down, here are a few pointers for anyone else doing this.
1) the video clip is spot on, but I could only get the wiper blade puller on with arms in the up position, hence stop wipers with ignition when facing directly up, and mark blade on screen with masking tape, this so you know where to put them back.
2) one came off ok, other fought back, but I won !!!, remember to use a smear of copper ease when you put them back on.
3) the plastics are a bit fiddly, but can be done without putting bonnet on high bit, I found if you release passenger side first, the other side comes out ok.
I suspect this car has had a new screen in the past, one of the plastic retaining tabs on the top plastic was already broken, and I found a 10mm socket and spanner in the tray (now added to all the others I have). To say it was mucky in there would be an understatement, you could have grown plants in the muck, in fact there was something growing !. The "drain" that Dec pointed out is on both sides, however, all it does is drain to the tray underneath, the actual scuttle drain is about 30mm by 20 mm and drains into the inner wing both sides, no blockage (dam), so I cleaned it all out, after removing wiper linkage, and made it all clean.
I then took off the right hand wheel arch liner, where the cars with a sun roof have their drain, is a hole, filled with a rubber bung, you cannot see this unless the wing is taken off, however, I could feel it, its right under where water drains from the scuttle, so I used some sealant and smeared it as best I could round the bung, just in case that is the source of my leak, only time will tell now.
Due to suspecting a screen has been fitted, my next task is to check and seal the top, just in case some water is finding its way down and into the car.
For now, that's it, thanks for all the help and suggestions, the wiper blade removal tool was a godsend.

OK, still getting water into drivers footwell, not a lot, but enough to make a small bit of carpet damp. Just by side panel near front of drivers door.
I have been thinking, I suspected vehicle has had a new screen, as someone has been under wipers before. But, vehicle has a non functioning alarm, which does not bother me, however, I wonder if someone has been at the alarm and it's not had a new screen fitted, if so, could it be the small cover plate over where alarm unit is below is leaking. I should have checked but did not.
Anyone know if this cover over the alarm, if leaking would water find its way into the drivers footwell. I know that water can run a long way.
It looks like I will have to take the whole lot out again.
Comments any person with infinite knowledge

I tried that, but could see nothing. I think !
Leak is very small and water just mounts up after a while. It seems to only soak the sponge under carpet. I do not get a puddle .
I cannot think where else it's getting in. I hate water leaks !!!!

Sorry, I’m late into this and you may have checked this already.

Check the integrity of the seal behind the door card. It’s not unheard of (certainly on other makes) for water to leak in there, creep along the door seal by way of capillary action and finally exit into the footwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of this before, but i did not put it in the post because i did not know know if that model had the plastic shield. This was my problem last year, but it was the rear foot well The seal or plastic clear membrane was missing from the door . Cut a sheet of clear builders polythene to fit over the holes inside the door .The problem is no more .

It's a good call. The water is either running down behind where fuses are, but I cannot see any evidence of that, or it could just be dripping off the door. I have a couple of days off next week and will start looking at it again.
Thanks for pointers

Ok, this afternoon I have had a look. No water in door, or under door panel, so my main suspect is the cover over the alarm unit, I know it has malfunctioned, no three flashes when locking and alarm does not sound.
I may well track down another unit and fit it if I am going to take it all apart again.
The water leak is the last fault to fix, then car 100%.

Of course, if and when I find the little devil. Which I will, a landrovers never defeated me, but there's always a first.

As they say, watch this space

Update.
Today I had another look. Laying on my back looking up behind where fuses are on drivers side I could see a thin line that appeared to be a rust line, got my hand up there and it wipes off. Looking further up the only thing I can see that could be leaking here are two rubber bungs, that are removed if you need to take bolts out that hold the dash in. They are directly above where carpet getting damp.
I have taken them out, there was a very small rusty mark on lower one, so have sealed them back in. Again, I have to wait for rain to see if solved.
Whilst there, greased accelerator pedal and cable as have a stiff spot about half way down, seems better now.
Will update again in due course

Update.
I am not holding my breath, but last few days have been really wet, heavy rain and wet snow. The ML has sat on the drive. Checked today and NO FURTHER water, the underfelt is still damp, do not expect that to dry out for a while, but I am encouraged that I might have got it sorted.

We will see

Well, checked again today, does not seem to be any new water, the kitchen roll i put under the mat is still dry, as before it was getting wet.
I have had a look at this again, and the only place i can see water getting to these bungs is down a drain rubber on the door, but i have never seen water in there, but have to admit not looked whilst its been raining. It chucked it down last night, so even more encouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom