Water injection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt1e

Car
2012 E63s AMG + performance Pack
I have recently been looking into the benefits of adding a water vapour into the induction flow.

Has anyone added a water or water/meth system into an M175 (V8 Bi-Turbo) ?

It's something I've mulled over though need to do a lot more research before committing to it. There are a good few benefits to it, but also a few pitfalls from what I've seen so far, hence my hesitance.

Have you any reason for wanting this mod? Just that there are a lot more ways, mostly easier, to get power out of this engine. What have you done so far with it, or is the idea to put it on a stock engine?

I don't know if you're aware, but Weistec are currently offering a system HERE, though a bit overpriced in my opinion...

Oh, and it's an MI57 engine by the way. ;)

The main problem is that it's not the all-singing-all-dancing affect that it's claimed to be.

To get real benefit you need to map the car for using the water/methanol mix, but that means you then have to use it unless you want to switch maps all the time.

Ideally you also want to be able to maintain a stoichiometric relationship of water/methanol to air charge, but that really means you need the system reading from the MAF or MAP sensors.

I decided it was all too much effort once I'd looked at it in a little more detail, but not until after I'd already bought the pump etc.

I don't know if you're aware, but Weistec are currently offering a system HERE, though a bit overpriced in my opinion...

Wow, that looks rather expensive alright. Looking at it the controller looks like is a basic AEM unit. The unique parts seem just to be a one piece silicone hose to the inlet manifolds and an expensive reserve tank.

No I hadn't come across the Weistec install and typo on the engine model !

More interested in the fuel savings !!! :p

I had a vaporiser fitted onto an old XR2 Mk1 intake in the 80's and it made quite a difference even with just water. Not so sure with all the sensors now, how effective it is without full mapping etc.

Just a wandering thought really !

It's something I've mulled over though need to do a lot more research before committing to it. There are a good few benefits to it, but also a few pitfalls from what I've seen so far, hence my hesitance.

Have you any reason for wanting this mod? Just that there are a lot more ways, mostly easier, to get power out of this engine. What have you done so far with it, or is the idea to put it on a stock engine?

Oh, and it's an MI57 engine by the way. ;)

Is the fuel saving achieved by running more lean and using the water to prevent detonation? - It's not an aspect I looked at; I was just concerned with maximum boost pressure for minimum increase in charge temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom