Water leak in American style fridge freezer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
We have a Samsung fridge/freezer with a chilled water dispenser & ice maker.
SWMBO rather cleverly lost a valuable envelope behind the fridge, resulting in me having to pull it out to recover the envelope.
Whilst it was out, cleaning seemed a good idea to get rid of 3 years of dust. To do this thoroughly, I removed a back panel to clean the dust & fluff from around the compressor and found a small leak on the drinking water supply pipe, where it joins the solenoid valve. It appears from the limescale crust that the leak has been going on for some years.

To fix the leak I need a new pipe insert & nut, like in the picture below.

I have those fittings for a 1/4" tube, but the ones I need are for 8mm OD tubing.
Knowledgeable members:- anyone know where I can buy these fittings?

Piff

Have you tried Google? I managed to fix my Fridge Freezer from site(s) on there. Apologies if yes.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

A new inline filter might just come with a pair of those.

Piff

Have you tried Google? I managed to fix my Fridge Freezer from site(s) on there. Apologies if yes.

Tried google but can't find anything yet

A new inline filter might just come with a pair of those.

The ones I pictured are from an in-line filter.
Bizzare thing is that the supply tube from the mains to the filter, from the filter to the fridge solenoid valve and from the solenoid valve to the ice maker is all 1/4" od tube.
But from the solenoid valve to the water dispenser they have changed to 8mm od :dk::doh::wallbash:

Try R O Man , you'll have to google it.

When I kept marine fish , they did all the RO filters , they had untold stocks of all sorts of pipe work and fittings :)

A long shot. Try PIRTEK.

Pirtek is a good shout they've made pipes up for me in the past for domestic use our local branch is very friendly and helpful

Last edited:
Yep, there is a branch in Ipswich & they publish an e-mail address. So I'll send them an enquiry tomorrow

8mm is Pajero fuel pipe size and PIRTEK so that. So they can probably make you a pipe up using different unions. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Well, more searching done. Haven't contacted PIRTEK yet as I've thought of a possible easy fix - PTFE tape - a wrap or two round the pipe before sliding the compression nut over may be the fix.
No tools at home this evening so maybe tomorrow night.
In my searching I found a couple of bits of info:-
  • Current replacement solenoid valves have push-fit fittings - may explain why I'm strugling to find replacement compression fittings:dk:
  • Searching Samsung's website I find that there is a safety recall on this model in 2013. There was a recall in 2010 which we were notified of (by Comet) and had carried out. Since then we have moved house but phone numbers & e-mail addresses are the same - seems like Samsung haven't made too much effort to contact their customers on a safety recall:eek:

I have 8 mm stainless tube in stock if that helps. I am not completely sure what it has to connect to but am happy to cut a bit off and put it in the post . If you need something welding to it to make a fix send me a pm and I will try and help in some way. I can always make a 1/4" to 8 mm adaptor if that's what's needed.
Cheers
Tim

Thanks everyone for the input.
When looking at the Samsung website I tried to find spares but was redirected to the likes of Partsmaster. Trawling through their site it seems that a replacement solenoid valve has "push-fit" fittings instead of these plastic compression nuts.
That got me thinking and I have been in touch with JG Speedfit. People there have have helped me identify the thread diameter & pitch. I have now ordered a Female Adaptor 1/2" BSP thread with a 5/16" (8mm) pushfit connection. So, hopefully problem solved in a few days time:thumb:
On re-assembly after measuring the thread, I tried PTFE tape and it made no difference at all:fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom