Water/Meth Injection Kit purchased.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Following on from this thread http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/performance-lounge/195875-water-meth-injection.html

I purchased a Snow Performance kit, this one: Stage 2 MAF/MAP Water-Methanol Injection System
Another eBay special offer @ $399 and free shipping within the U.S. (which happens to suit me), against the usual $499 in the U.S. or €569 from the German supplier.

I know that the very best practice is to employ the fuel injector pulse to operate the W/M injection and my kit uses the more common MAF voltage.

So, I'm wondering am I really going to be at major disadvantage using the Snow kit that I purchased over the more expensive kits? After all if this kit only does 50% of what it says on the tin, I reckon I could be laughing.

Again, as per the previous thread on the subject any comments or advice would be much appreciated/welcomed.

Speak to Richard of Aquamist. They make the very best WMI kits on the planet. My own Aquamist injects on any of 3 conditions - fuel duty cycle (Aquamist's most recommended way), IAT or boost. When I wired it first, I just hooked it up to an injector, adjusted the percentage of power used to trigger the action and that was that. This time around, I'm not going to use a WMI as I've changed the air intake and want to try and do away with just that so it may become available for sale. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Another advantage of using Aquamist is spare parts are readily available and you can make your own loom, split and plumb it any way you want and nothing needs to come from the US.

Sorry, not much help but since you've already bought the kit, try it and see if you get anything out of it?

Thanks Alx. I did speak to Richard and like his products but cost became a slight issue as I'm fitting the kit to a banger. Also, opting for the cheaper Snow gives me a better chance of selling it if I'm not too happy with W/M Inj on the old bus.

Parts supply is not an issue as they is a European agent in Germany.

Alx, I meant to ask. What's the main reason for you deleting the W/M kit?

Alx, I meant to ask. What's the main reason for you deleting the W/M kit?

WMI is not a cure to the high IAT problem so relying on one is pointless - one needs to eradicate the very problem of high IATs.

If I manage that, then I may not even need the WMI.

WMI is not a cure to the high IAT problem so relying on one is pointless - one needs to eradicate the very problem of high IATs.

If I manage that, then I may not even need the WMI.

Oh, I see that was/is your issue. I don't really have that problem or certainly not to the extent I'd suspect your S/C generates. I want W/M Inj to cool the inlet charge enough so the engine/ECU can optimise the timing and running 95 Ron with the W/M will they say have identical results as with 116 octane race fuel.

So, in a nutshell, less timing pulled should give (I hope) about another 30bhp and some more torque.

So are you mapping for WMI as well or just using it as a cooling agent?

What ratio is the methanol to water that you are injecting?

So are you mapping for WMI as well or just using it as a cooling agent?

No mapping will carried out. The ECU (IAT sensor) will take into account the cooler charge and timing will be optimised, so WMi is just acting like a cooling agent and the Methanol will give a boost to 95 Ron fuel.

That's it I think Alx. My only problem currently is trying to find a suitable standalone IAT sensor as I won't using the one in the MAF and I'm having no luck at present.

No mapping will carried out. The ECU (IAT sensor) will take into account the cooler charge and timing will be optimised, so WMi is just acting like a cooling agent and the Methanol will give a boost to 95 Ron fuel.

That's it I think Alx. My only problem currently is trying to find a suitable standalone IAT sensor as I won't using the one in the MAF and I'm having no luck at present.

I take it Snow doesn't have an input for the sensor? Do you want to trigger the spray based on the standalone air temp sensor or just monitor the IATs?

If it's the latter, have a look at Zeitronix. It's not going to be cheap(er) than one Aqua Mist kit but will allow you to monitor and data log the car.

I take it Snow doesn't have an input for the sensor? Do you want to trigger the spray based on the standalone air temp sensor or just monitor the IATs?

If it's the latter, have a look at Zeitronix. It's not going to be cheap(er) than one Aqua Mist kit but will allow you to monitor and data log the car.

Alx. because the MAF has an integral IAT to feed the ECU and it's unadvisable to spray W/M pre MAF, my 'plan' is to disconnect the IAT sensor in the MAF and fit a standalone one after the W/M injector so the ECU get's the true inlet air temp reading. But that raises a few minor issues, one there's not suitable standalone IAT sensor to match the integral MAF and two Snow advise the injector should be 100-150mm away from the IAT sensor. Now, I can solve both of these issues provided IAT thermistor that could use will last with W/M mist. I hope that waffling makes sense? :D

As for monitoring the IAT's, Snow offer a plug-in and play unit that can be added at anytime if I feel the need. But I can get that info currently anyway when I have my OBD plugged in, well the IAT's not the W/M flow rate. The way I see less gauges make a better environment for driving. I'm even considering mounting my boost gauge in the glovebox along with an AFR gauge.

You can easily go 60M/40W as methanol is less dense than water.

Yes, so I understand and depending on the application the mix can be varied a lot. It seems most W/M kit suppliers advise 50/50 for road applications so I'll stick with that initially I think. Also too, I don't want the engine to run too rich which would happen if I stray too far with a Meth biased mix. Plenty of learning, practical learning as well to be done by me I reckon. :eek:

P.s. As it happens I did a deal this week on a spare engine, who's got loads of confidence, not! :D

Alx. because the MAF has an integral IAT to feed the ECU and it's unadvisable to spray W/M pre MAF, my 'plan' is to disconnect the IAT sensor in the MAF and fit a standalone one after the W/M injector so the ECU get's the true inlet air temp reading. But that raises a few minor issues, one there's not suitable standalone IAT sensor to match the integral MAF and two Snow advise the injector should be 100-150mm away from the IAT sensor. Now, I can solve both of these issues provided IAT thermistor that could use will last with W/M mist. I hope that waffling makes sense? :D

As for monitoring the IAT's, Snow offer a plug-in and play unit that can be added at anytime if I feel the need. But I can get that info currently anyway when I have my OBD plugged in, well the IAT's not the W/M flow rate. The way I see less gauges make a better environment for driving. I'm even considering mounting my boost gauge in the glovebox along with an AFR gauge.

I see what you're trying to achieve. Why is it not advised to spray pre-MAF? All the water should atomise before reaching the sensor so not really an issue MAF or not, unless your nozzle is too close to the sensor? Not clued in on MAF though so may be wrong.

Well two things.

First, the W/M will damage the MAF, actually to be more accurate it will damage the air flow/density sensor in the MAF.

Second and a moot point , my MAF is located directly after the I.C. being specific it's actually mounted on the I.C. outlet. So, without relocating the MAF (which I have done and could do again) I'd need to inject between the S/C and the I.C. and again that's advised against due the possibility of the W/M collecting in the I.C. and from what I've been told now is that the I.C. cooling capabilities will not be maximized if it's cooling air that has already been injected with W/M.

Bear in mind Alx, what I'm posting on this subject is based on what I already knew and understood (limited), reading articles on the subject and asking a few well informed people. I also contacted Snow's European agent and they were very helpful and refreshingly candid plus I received an invite to visit them in Hamburg, which I'll be doing in August while I'm there

Still, there's every chance I'll make a fcuk up when installing or setting it up! Did I mention I did a deal on a spare engine this week...:D

That's called plan B Jhon! :devil:

That will be plan C Simon. Plan B will be the pub and have session like I was twenty five again. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom