wax a panoramic roof??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dillz

Car
C63 coupe PPP
As the title suggests....over the weekend i prepared the car for a wax and polish but the British weather intervened and I didn't get very far! But then it occurred to me...what do I do about the roof as its all glass? is it ok to apply wax to it or do you seal it with something else? i ask as you wouldn't apply wax to your windscreen!

Wax or sealant on the glass is fine, just like for the side windows and rear screen.

Just avoid the windscreen if using a wax.

You could use G5 Water Repellent Coating for Glass and Perspex or something similar.

I'd go with Sam and opt for a water repellent of some kind.

I've actually used Rain-X on the other halfs glass roof and rear window on her SL to good effect.

Yeah, I wouldn't wax glass!
I cleaned mine throughly with Angelwax Vision then applied two coats of Angelwax H2go to all glass surfaces including the pano roof.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Think I'll stay clear of wax and buy something else for all the glass

I always treated the panoramic roof on my R172 SLK 55AMG the same as the rest of the body, clay, then Vanilla Moose, Poorboys EXP Sealant, then 3 coats of R222 wax.

Always came up a treat against the white paintwork......

Cool, thanks for the advice. Think I'll stay clear of wax and buy something else for all the glass

If you don't want to spend the money at the moment, wax will do the same job in practical terms....

I waxed our CLC Pano roof and no issues, beads beautifully.

I'm not saying don't wax your Pano roof but I would add a word of caution: If you live in a hard water area and apply wax or a hydrophobic coating that creates tight beads of water on the glass, you may find that when washing the car in the summer, they dry to leave hard water marks, which will be a PITA to remove!

This issue tends not to apply so much to the other windows, where the water can fall off more easily but with a Pano roof the combination of a relatively flat surface (I know it's not completely flat) and the heat of the sun could cause you more problems.

Of course, if you dry the roof immediately after washing OR use pure water from a 30ppm or better 0ppm filter, that would negate the problem but for those who don't it's worth thinking about...

Just my tuppence :)

For information, we have a CLC with full pano roof and I've investigated ceramic coatings - they are a no no.

I use Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on all the windows except the front windscreen.

I did try it on the windscreen but when it rains, the wipers smear and judder, - though the beads automatically clear water and flow upwards when travelling at motorway speeds rather like Rain X.

The beading makes it easier to see out of the side and rear windows rather than a smeary watery sheet covered window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom