Wax Polishing products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Hi

I know this question has been posted many times, but can anyone recommend a good polish for a metallic obsidian black CLK? for protection and shine for the winter as my car is left outside.

You could end up with so many replies as everybody has their favourite...!

I'd suggest looking into one of the following:-

Black Magic Detailing Taurus
Soft 99 Fusso Coat (dark)
Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid
Finish Kare 1000p

Think I'm right in saying first two have PTFE added or similar for protection qualities.

Fusso potentially lasts 12 months (I'm not convinced would get 12 months out of any wax but should still get good longevity... I've got the light version).

The Dodo Juice has qualities of sealant and wax hence the hybrid name and couple if coats of that would give a good finish and protection.

FK is a high temp sealant so you can seal your wheels with that and it can go on the paintwork no problem.

Sorry if you are familiar with the products not intending to teach you to suck eggs.

They say tha best wax is called Swissvax used by professional detailers but it is very expensive
I use auto glym products
The best shine though is after you have clay barred the paint work I think

Sorry misread OP and have concentrated on waxes/LSPs...

Polish wise if applying by hand hard to fault AG SRP as suggested by others and followed up by AG HD Wax etc.

Alternatively I've recently used Poorboys SSR, big draw for that is can use safely in sunlight as I've no garage to work out of. Other good thing about the SSR is you can pick from 1, 2, 2.5 and 3 in terms of how abrasive it is so have some control over how aggressive you want to be albeit by hand you would have to be going some to do any meaningful damage to the paint.

Post pics when you've had a go :)

johns E350 said:
They say tha best wax is called Swissvax used by professional detailers but it is very expensive I use auto glym products The best shine though is after you have clay barred the paint work I think

Best is very subjective but Swisvax is indeed a high end product.

But if you really want to break the bank Mitchell & King apparently make a product which has a price tag of £65,000.00!

johns E350 said:
The best shine though is after you have clay barred the paint work I think

Very true, good prep is key to finish.

OP for that you would have to:-

1. Pay a pro to detail the car;
2. Look to do a DIY jobby...decontamination (tar and fallout), clay followed by multi stage machine polish etc etc, lots and lots of stages!

Or you go real world wash (possibly clay mitt from Halfords), AG SRP then a wax/last stage product of your choice.

flango said:
Clay Poor boys SSR1 Poor boys black hole glaze Poor boys EXP sealant P222s wax

That Sir would be an excellent combo, good call.

Hi

I know this question has been posted many times, but can anyone recommend a good polish for a metallic obsidian black CLK? for protection and shine for the winter as my car is left outside.

Polish corrects (takes out scratches etc), wax protects paint.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is good because it can be applied with the car wet (i.e. rinsed after washing) and the amount of cut or correction depends on how hard you push down. It is not overly abrasive either.

Follow up with wax……..AG Ultimate deep shine or PB Blackhole or Chemical Guys Black Light……..plenty of waxes out there specifically designed for black paint. These two have fillers which even out swirl marks and light scratches giving an optically good finish.

The final result is reflected on the preparation (clay bar/mitt, metal decontamination etc etc) but without going OTT (or OCD) a hand polish followed by hand wax will give a good if not concourse result.

Last edited:
MDC250 said:
That Sir would be an excellent combo, good call.

Just did this on my clk last weekend been touring the North York moors and East coast all week covered 1100 miles quick wash today on our return home and it still looks mint and this is on a car that will be 18 years old soon

For the first cut on an MB though I would use menzerna as MB paint is notoriously hard

flango said:
For the first cut on an MB though I would use menzerna as MB paint is notoriously hard

Think I've read somewhere MB paint is ceramic based...I'm guessing that's why it's hard?

Ha, I'm still to let loose with my DA on the paintwork with anything other than a finishing pad and a glaze...silver is very forgiving though so it's good at hiding what's already inflicted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom