Website Design and Construction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toolman1954

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2006 320 CDI Avantgarde . 1997 312d Sprinter
Hi, I have decided that my business needs some propping up by way of a Website, from which I hope to generate some sales.
I want the website to encompass a catalogue of goods for sale and some sort of ordering system etc. I dont know anyone that will do it for me --- so looks like I have to learn some webpage design. So may I ask for suggestions, that is very easy to learn, and easy to maintain once installed, bearing in mind that " I know nothing".
I was looking at trying an evening course -- but there is nothing available at the moment that is suitable.
I am thinking of using a hosting company, the likes of which advertise in some of the comics for getting my site published -- some seem cheap enough.
I already have a program called Front page and huge big book about it --- this appears to be rather daunting for a first timer, and somewhere I have a program called Dreamweaver, but no info with that.
For your consideration gentlemen (and ladies of course). Thanks :confused:

Hi Toolman ,

I use 123 (www.123-reg.co.uk) , its basically a template site , you fill in the text and add photos.

They have lots of options for different packages that can encompass what you need , including an online shop.

It's quite easy to create a professional looking site with no knowledge at all (just like me) ...

Have a look at my website, that is created on their template system. The link is underneath my signature.

Good luck

erm... its a little different with a shop though Howard, you need a payment gateway and a shopping cart etc. Forget front Page, it wont be of much help to you. PHP is what you'll probably want to get to grips with.

Have a look at OSCommerce it'll do all the above and its free.

Your biggest headache wont be shop design and setup as there's plenty about who'll do this for you for reasonable money. The biggest trick of all is Search Engine Optimisation. If you are in a market thats saturated, its a full time job on its own keeping ahead of the game. Be very careful with pay per click campaigns too as you can run up large bills.

I think one of the 123 packages has a shop facility ....

Yep , the Pro version has an E-shop .... don't know if this is the same thing ...

This is what it says :-

' The e-shop allows you to create your own professional looking web store and start making money online.

With no programming or website design skills required, you can sell your products, handle payments, take orders and manage customer accounts.
'

Last edited:
OS Commerce gets our vote as well.

Annie has been using it for her online shop for the last 6 months or so with no issues.

As Sp!ke says there are plenty of people around happy top do it all for you but it can be fun setting yourself up.

I'd also recommend Avahost as a very decent cost effective hosting service

Andy

OSCommerce is definately the way to go, freesource is awesome! You can integrate paypal and other payment gateways like worldpay etc into the package, the user panel and functionality of the software is outstanding in my opinion. Highly customisable too if you know what you're doing!

If you go onto the forum i'm sure you'll find people willing to help you design a site or even offering their services for a lot less than most design companies if you find it a little too much to handle on your own.

Thank you all for your suggestions, this has been most helpful and enlightening.I looked at some of the on line shops on os Commerce and there is one there (a leisure trader) that seems to be exactly the format that I need. The forum there also looked very helpful. Also I looked at the Ava Host site which seems cheap and I had a play with the demo on line site builder and failed that at the splash screen, but this also seems to have the format that I need.
So what do I do next----do I buy some books off of Ebay about PHP, downlaod the software from the site and try my hand at constructing a site ??? or is the on line site better option for numpty??
Thanks to all ------- Regards Steve :) :confused: :)

get yourself signed up for some hosting, download oscommerce and folow the installation instructions

there are loads of "readme" files to get you going including how to set up the database which is the only bit you have to do manually.

Then your "shop" is up and running and you can customise it until it is perfect for you.

There are loads of addon modules at the OS Commerce site which means that if you want a particular feature somebody else has probably done it before you.

Ignore the fancy sitebuilder software, all you need in the short term is a homepage (index) which you can make using any software you like which carries a link to your shop

HTH

Andy

Yes ignore the fancy sitebuilder software .... it's for idiots

Os commerce gets the vote then---- and it is now downloading-- will keep you posted --- Thank you all again -Steve---:) :)

Website Update.

Just a small update for those who are ineterested. I have now signed up for a year with Easyspace and yesterday sat down with some books and constructed my very own holding page for the website using HTML.
For those in the know it is hardly anything to write home about, but for me who only a week ago had never looked at HTML before I felt quite jubilant in creating this. So www.stevestools.co.uk is now just more than pie in the sky. Next job is to get the "os commerce " software loaded and get the website working properly.. :) :D :)

Steve

I have a domain registered and I really should pull my finger out and get it up and running.. well done Steve.

When you guys are finished, we should do a "show me yours"! I've just started re-doing mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom