Wet Handling day - 3rd October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chad5k1

Car
Maserati Ghibli, BWM 130i
Hi All
Earlier this year I joined the wet handling event run by the Alpina Register at Rockingham.
Pics here:
http://www.thealpinaregister.com/rockingham2009.php
Fantastic fun was had by all as well as some real improvements to driving skills - certainly helped a lot at a wet maserati forum Llandow Track day a few weeks later.

It is now on again - 3rd October and I will be in attendance. Please let me know if you wish to join in, the cost is £125
Should be good fun
Details here:
http://www.thealpinaregister.com/rockinghamwethandlingday-2009-2.php
But in summary:
There is nothing to hit at all, it is in the centre of Rockingham Race Circuit and I think is the only facility of it's kind open to the public.

Think of it as a big open area with no obstructions. Within that area there are three different surfaces
- very low grip (Basalt Tiles are extremely slippy (MU rating of 0.1) and it's effectively like driving on ice)
- low grip (performance surface effectively reduces the grip levels (down to a MU rating of 0.6), speeds at which traction is lost are much lower)
- high grip.

The very low grip part simulates what it is like to drive on ice, the low grip simulates what its like to drive on wet leaves and the high grip surface ensures you can safely stop should you leave either of the low grip surfaced areas.

Add a kick plate - a large metal sheet covered in high grip tarmac, which is computer controlled such that it can flick the rear of your car out just as you drive over it. This simulates a real-world skid situation and now its up to you to correct the skid. Then add some obstacles - in this case walls made of water that are also computer controlled. The result is you have a realistic but safe environment to test your and your cars reactions.

Finally add a low grip crescent area to practice cornering, sprinkle some oversteer and you're into drift practice....

It is most likely easiest if you book your slot via me.

bally-waterwall-small.gif

I can highly recommend this sort of day. Haven't been on this particular one, but they are very good fun and you'll take some extra skills away with you.

I may be up for this it sounds like fun,especially a bit of drifting.Rockinghams only 40mins away from me but ive got to find out if im working that weekend.

Will people throw stones at me since im in a mercedes :rolleyes: are you doing it in the C55?

I'll be in the C55 :) Think I chap is going in a C36 as well. Lots of others cars there, we had a real mix of cars and drivers last time, from maserati's and bmw's to a full family of 6 with small town cars and a disabled driver in a sprinter van! Everyone had great fun and improved their driving.
Let me know asap, as there are not many places left and lots of people are trying to fill them.

Can you put my name down for the afternoon session Chad5k1 :)

Marty

Really great day had by all.
Some pics below, love the one with the hads over the face Marty!

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 37
  • k99 GS.jpg
    k99 GS.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 35
Glad you had a good day. Can't bit a bit a nice opposite lock power drift ;)

2456395072_13f3e6b2d5.jpg

yeah, thought i did quite well to pull this one back and still miss the water walls :)

Attachments

• 1-4.jpg
    1-4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5-7.jpg
    5-7.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom