What did you learn today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
As the adage goes, you learn something new every day.

Well, today I learned never to select pick'n'mix sweets from any container that's low down enough to be within a child's reach, after witnessing a two unsupervised children using their fingers to sample the wares, and putting back anything they didn't quite like the taste of.

There was a time when I'd have berated them, but it's just too much of a risk these days to get involved. After a few moments their mother called them and went running off to her. I did at least inform a shop assistant that the goods had been tampered with, although I got the impression it was pretty much an everyday occurrence. So, you have been warned...

Sprinkle some icing sugar on them then tell the shop assistant someone has put anthrax on the lollies, then ask her why she is not complying with the health and safety regulations for sale of food? Really, this type of thing is a shocker, she knows this is going on all day and does nothing......???

Not me, but the manageress of our local charity shop has finally learned that if you staff the shop with prisoners (albeit Cat D) and Community Service people, including the soon to be assistant manager, donated things of value, stored upstairs, will go missing, usually on her day off :doh:.

It took her a while to learn it though....

This afternoon I took my parents out to Bradgate Park in Leicestershire , just a couple of miles from where they live.

They had not been for some time and despite both being a little infirm they very much enjoyed both the warm autumnal sunshine and the scenery with the park deer roaming around unperturbed by the number of people there. We sat and watched children play, said "hello" to a number of curious and friendly dogs and then took tea in a little restaurant nearby. So what did I learn?

Life can be good and often the simple things are also some of the most important.

This afternoon I took my parents out to Bradgate Park in Leicestershire , just a couple of miles from where they live.

They had not been for some time and despite both being a little infirm they very much enjoyed both the warm autumnal sunshine and the scenery with the park deer roaming around unperturbed by the number of people there. We sat and watched children play, said "hello" to a number of curious and friendly dogs and then took tea in a little restaurant nearby. So what did I learn?

Life can be good and often the simple things are also some of the most important.

You also learned that W203 seats are sh*t, and that you are not alone in your pain.

Sprinkle some icing sugar on them then tell the shop assistant someone has put anthrax on the lollies, then ask her why she is not complying with the health and safety regulations for sale of food? Really, this type of thing is a shocker, she knows this is going on all day and does nothing......???

Well, I presume she did something when I mentioned it to her, but it was discernable from her response that it did not come as a shock to her that it could have happened.

However, having seen it today, I can quite imagine the same scene being repeated in shops up and down the country. Short of putting child-proof lids on the containers or having someone stand guard in the area, I don't suppose there's much they can do about it. This may be why many shops only sell wrapped sweets these days.

As the adage goes, you learn something new every day.

Well, today I learned never to select pick'n'mix sweets from any container that's low down enough to be within a child's reach, after witnessing a two unsupervised children using their fingers to sample the wares, and putting back anything they didn't quite like the taste of.

There was a time when I'd have berated them, but it's just too much of a risk these days to get involved. After a few moments their mother called them and went running off to her. I did at least inform a shop assistant that the goods had been tampered with, although I got the impression it was pretty much an everyday occurrence. So, you have been warned...

Not today, but not that long ago.

At a local, very popular eatery (good customer of mine) I walked into the kitchens and saw the (usually p*ssed) former owner take the large serving spoons out of several sandwich fillings containers, eat what he desired and then return the spoons to the containers. When he sensed I was present, he turned around (lips and nose decorated with egg-mayo etc,) and asked if I'd like a free coffee. :crazy:

He had only recently handed down or sold the business to his stepson and I know if I'd had reported the incident, his stepson would at the very least, have thumped him. I so wanted to report it, but..

The previous day I'd eaten a tasty chicken, bacon and mayonnaise baguette from this establishment. :mad:

Last edited:
I learnt today that if you are my age and decide that you must climb a ladder in your back garden, do it when there is someone else in the house. As you can imagine I managed to fall off the thing, while SWMBO and kids were away for the afternoon. Luckily no one was seriously hurt in the incident, but the lesson has been learnt.

I learnt today that if you are my age and decide that you must climb a ladder in your back garden, do it when there is someone else in the house. As you can imagine I managed to fall off the thing, while SWMBO and kids were away for the afternoon. Luckily no one was seriously hurt in the incident, but the lesson has been learnt.

Being stranded alone isn't a good thing.

Aged 35, I contracted Chicken pox - quite a serious condition in adulthood.

Covered from head-to-toe in green puss-filled spots I had no option but to remain completely naked. I'd also managed to hurt my back, so walking looked like some new-fangled zulu disco dance - I could hardly stand up.

I needed the lavatory and holding on to door frames etc, I just about made it to the bathroom. As I stood at the loo, my back gave way and I crashed to the floor.
Stranded on the bathroom floor I cried out to Mrs Ringway for help, at which point, I heard our petrol lawn mower start, meaning I'd be marooned for a long time.

What I learned from that episode was that, no matter how bad your back pain is, you can get up and go when your wife has enlisted the help of her parents to lift you from the floor. "They'll be here in a couple of minutes, dear". :D

Glad to hear you're OK.

I learned i have a day less to live than i did yesterday & need to spend more time driving my mb 1:D

I learned many new things about my SM, that a poodle can be a great gun dog and doesn't have to look silly (photo posting from IPad not learned), and that I should leave low birds alone.

"Prudence" is a mug's game

That being prudent and saving your money is a mug's game. :( Witness the ludicrous situation for those of us who have actually lived within our means and have saved rather than spent on credit. We now have to pay for the past excesses of others.:eek: This applies at an individual as much as at a state level with laughable rates of interest on any savings while any capital value disappears down the drain as the government devalues the currency by printing money.:doh:
So the politicians glib exhortation:-
"Until we ALL (individuals, banks, nations, governments) learn to live within our means and not beyond them, all solutions are doomed to failure." rings pretty hollow as things stand at the moment . :wallbash:

a poodle can be a great gun dog
The standard poodle was bred a retriever (originally a German breed of course), and the modern show clip is a heavily stylised version of the way they were clipped for working. I used to compete in agility with a standard poodle, we did a tracking day once with a local working trials club and she was a complete natural at that. She adored wet weather too.

c9c6fd85.jpg

DiN.jpg

Spillers.jpg

I learned, that a poodle can be a great gun dog and doesn't have to look silly, and that I should leave low birds alone.

A friend takes his Jack Russel on shoots, a rather amusing sight when all you can see at first is a dead pheasant coming toward you at ground level until you spot the dog behind it.

I also find the low birds a problem. Actually I find the high birds difficult as well!

I have decided that I shoot for conservation!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom