What do ya reckon chaps - Repairable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulXC

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Hymer Camper Van
Never had one go like this before! Only 4000 miles old. Pressure was checked before I left France and 450 miles in this happened.

23961134698_1b61a6ae29_z.jpg

23961135108_e73fcceff3_z.jpg

1.30 am this morning on the M40. Rear nearside - didn't hear it go pop but the car felt a bit skittish.

Weirdly the tyre sensor warning didn't come on until I'd pulled on the hard shoulder.

Way to dark and dangerous to change the wheel so called recovery and he did it for me by the side of the road. On our way within the hour.

I do like having spare wheel in my cars!

Any ideas what causes such a total failure of the tyre?

Also - wheel recently aligned, just mot'd and serviced so no known issues with the car.

Last edited:
Classic under inflation damage- you possibly picked up a sharp object en route or maybe a faulty valve. Once destroyed a rear tyre by hitting what I think was a bit of broken pallet a glancing blow in the dark which split the sidewall---- a couple of miles down the road one shredded tyre

Gorilla tape and sikkaflex / tigerseal should be good to go o_Oo_Oo_O

Straddling speed humps can eventually damage the inside sidewall of low profile tyres, so I gather.

My first thought was don’t put the wheel face down on gravel :eek:

Ahh yes .... the wheels on the E320 are long overdue a refurb.

Classic under inflation damage- you possibly picked up a sharp object en route or maybe a faulty valve. Once destroyed a rear tyre by hitting what I think was a bit of broken pallet a glancing blow in the dark which split the sidewall---- a couple of miles down the road one shredded tyre

Sounds about right,

Off to get a new tyre today.

I've had such a run of bad luck with tyres - in the last 24 months this car has had two new winters as both got unrepairable punctures on newish tyres (cost £450) and this is the second tyre this year so far (cost £380). I punctured 3 newish tyres beyond repair on the CLS last year and I also got a puncture in the Polo but that was repairable and only cost £20!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom