What happened to the car magazine article that stripped cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Does anyone else remember the car magazine, that would have an article where they took a second hand car and stripped it down to nearly every nut and bolt?

They'd have a nice photo of all the parts neatly laid out on the floor. The article would then describe how they thought the car had worn over the years.

1. Which magazine was this?
2. Are the archives available online?

Cheers.

Hmmmm. I remember that, was it Practical Car - nah thats not right but I'm warm. Probably got bought out by the big car manufacturers to hide their sins.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/e-class/36943/mercedes-e-class

car_photo_245901.jpg

AUTO EXPRESS correct. I liked those too. :thumb: I have a feeling some if not all of these were done in collaboration with AUTOBILD and were sometimes translations of Autobild articles.
Here's one they did on an Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM sportwagon which blew its first engine! :eek:
Alfa-Romeo-159-Sportwagon-2-4-JTDM-20V-Distinctive-560x373-aa67f0f58d661f3a.jpg
Google Translate
MY guess is that either Autobild stopped doing them or MORE LIKELY AUTOEXPRESS were too stingy to get them translated since they seem to be ongoing.:dk:

you can also buy them in German of course FOR 1 EURO PAYPAL -- E.G. Fiat 500 -- Das Getriebe ist kaputt. ;) Fiat 500 im Dauertest: Motor- und Getriebschaden - autobild.de

Last edited:
Not all Merc ones made it to our shores - they did one on the W203 C class c220cdi

Mercedes C 220 CDI T-Modell: Dauertest - autobild.de

Dauertest Mercedes-Benz C 220 CDI T-Modell - Bilder - autobild.de

As an afterthought its perhaps interesting that Autobild produces all these in depth articles about car technology where we get " Top Gear" with 3 "loons" doing their own particular version of a demolition derby with old caravans. Is this an indication as to why the Germans build all the cars now?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom