What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Drove it 300 miles

Finally had enough of my creaking drivers seat, took it out greased everthing up with seriosly expensive £120 for a little pot grease put it back in turned ignition on and had airbag error codes, deleted all the codes and drove it home without a creaking seat :)

Replaced tail light clusters with Led ones and 2 new xenon headlight bulbs

Decided on a spot of rust removal as the subframe's currently off the car. Nothing too painful and certainly no welding required, which is always a bonus. :)

Got loads of pics but it's gone from this, which was basically everywhere: -

001 Crossmember rust.jpg

To this, which was roughly what I wanted: -

006 Completed.jpg

It's never going to be a show winner/beauty queen, though I've hopefully now preserved it for a good few more years with all the wax it now has on the underside.

One of the several things which I have found frustrating is that there are so many little clips and things which should have been replaced over the years, yet have just been put back on in an untreated condition. I'm slowly getting through them all but, in reality, I shouldn't have to as the people who replaced all the lines (SLS + Brake) should have done is. At least to my way of thinking...

An example of what I mean: -

008 Partial.jpg

Not the bracket clipping the lines together. This is the same bracket after a quick clean and coat of paint. It took longer for the paint to dry than anything else: -

008 Completed.jpg

I have some more bits to replace next week then, hopefully, get the subframe back on and get it running and on the road for April...

I used the Easy-Pak system for the first time.

I was transporting my much loved Monitor Audio speakers down to Richer Sounds in Chiswick so I can have the bass driver in one of them replaced.

The system was great - really easy to use.

I also ordered a new sound bar while I was in there......I'll update the a/v thread when I get it home and plug it in.

Cleaned the wheels and the interior. The rest will have to wait.

40039798214_f2b50e5de1_o.jpg

Today mine broke again! Just got on the A38 and the power steering fluid level light came on. Pulled in at the next lay by to find fluid pouring out from below the reservoir. Return home and take the other half's Hyundai instead. Getting it recovered to the garage in the morning. I will give up with it soon.[emoji51]

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Washed the motor, touched up a couple of stone chips. Removed the drivers side rear light cluster and replaced the main gasket, and the oval gasket for the side bolt.

Water appeared to be ingressing from side bolt. Fingers crossed no more leaking. (Extra gasket used for the side bolt to ensure a better seal)

Didn’t do anything to my Mercedes, which I left in my garage. Instead I decided to give my large brick block driveway a much needed clean. Not too difficult with my Karcher pressure washer but still took a couple of hours.

I took it in to PCS at Horndean, who made the Parking Brake work!

Woo Hoo! Yay! I've now got a Parking Brake!

Excellent service from PCS as always, Cheers Guys!!!

Waterproofed roof.

Passed MOT, no advisories :) Not a given, for a car that rolled of the production line in October 2005 (06-reg).

I'm always slightly suspicious, when the test is offered at a bargain price (£24), by a garage that also offers "free retest, if repairs done by us" sort of deal ...

Well - I was wrong, and can highly recommend InTown Automotive in Northampton - honest, unbiased testing and a fantastic value for money.

One thing is for sure, I won't be going to Mercedes for the MOT next year either (three previous ones were done by MB Northampton).

Driven over 400 miles on the new Avon ZX7 tyres now. They may officially be too big (275 vs 265) but they continue to impress. 43 mpg in motorway mode and the straight line stability is awesome. Virtually no corrections required to maintain lane and a noise level of below 60db on the special quiet tarmac on places on the M1 and still at below 62db at 70mph on normal surfaces. Makes the car a really relaxed cruiser, but it still hangs on like a limpet when pushed in the twisty bits.
I thought I was perhaps going deaf, but my sound meter confirms this is the quietest car I have driven.
Doesn't everybody travel with a sound meter in the glove box?....oh...ok it's just me then:rolleyes:

Finished the underside of the 190 off, rubbed down, treated, painted and waxed with Dynax UC. After that, removed all the grommets from the chassis sections which had them (most of them on one of these) and absolutely soaked everything internally in Bilt Hamber S50 with the wand they kindly provide. I basically just kept spraying it till it was dripping out from everywhere so, hopefully, it's now good for another few years along with my garage floor which also got a good coating.

Subframe back on tomorrow hopefully, with a set of OEM bushes I had to acquire as MB parts are still unable to get me the correct ones.

Oh, and two new brake flexis to the rear callipers and possibly a new metal pipe if I still can't undo it tomorrow. Given up today. :)

160 mile round trip through the A and B roads of Staffordshire and the Peak District. My lovely clean car is now dirty again :(

The SL passed the MOT today and no advisories. The car has only done a little under 1300 miles since last years MOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom