What instrument clusters support APS30 display?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stats007

MB Enthusiast
Car
575M
Does anyone know what models you can have the instrument cluster display the BE4716 APS30 sat nav information? I read this thread but it doesn't detail any specific cars. Will it work on my R129?

stats007 said:
Does anyone know what models you can have the instrument cluster display the BE4716 APS30 sat nav information? I read this thread but it doesn't detail any specific cars. Will it work on my R129?
2001+ instrument clusters with multifunction steering wheels. W210/208 were (probably) first, then W203/R230/G-class/W220 and all new models from this point onwards.

stats007 said:
So even though mine is a 2001 that's a no then?
The R129 is a disgrace TBH.

No multifunction display/steering wheel and unless I'm mistaken it has the pre-1997 flip-style key (therefore OLD security system) throughout the range. Other cars that share this shame are the SLK (shocking IMHO) and the M-class, maybe more. Why didn't these cars get cool toys like the W210/W208/W220 etc when they were facelifted around the 2000 period?

It might be possible to retrofit a multifunction display to an R129, it is only possible with the W202 because it already has lots of the 1997+ canbus modules in it and the CLK (which did get the toys) was based on the facelift W202.

Does the R129 share it's instrument cluster with any other models? If it only shares it with the 124/126/140 then it's unlikely that a multifunction display could be fitted. It'd be an amazing mod though :)

I'm not too fussed to be honest - and like to keep the car as original as possible. AFAIK it is similar to the models you mention. The SL got the CAN bus in 1999, but yes it does still use the flip key though mine also has an MBSS3 alarm. It's a great shame the final models didn't get the newer toys and 5.5 V8 option (in any great numbers) that the W210 had.

stats007 said:
The SL got the CAN bus in 1999
You need to borrow an instrument cluster to see if it's possible to fit one and if all the features would work. See if you can find someone brave with a facelift W208 or W210, if they are a remotely similar shape!

As I said I'm not that bothered - my cluster is all brushed aluminium being a Silver Arrow so there's no way I'd swap it - there's also the hassle of getting the mileage programmed in etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom