What is it about 330/335d Drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I understand the SEAT FR brigade of proper headcase nutters, to the point where I just ignore them.

But what is it about BMW 330/335d owners when they see an AMG? - they just want to race me :dk:.

I've lost count of the times I've had to apply almost half throttle to create that spec in the rear view mirror scenario, but they don't seem to learn :fail.

Can someone here who's a member of a BMW forum get on there tell them that are two more divisions between 330/335d and the Premier League.

Last edited:
Personally never experienced this myself but I did read an old thread on here re a member who had a mapped C63 and got smoked by a 335d :-/

Personally never experienced this myself but I did read an old thread on here re a member who had a mapped C63 and got smoked by a 335d :-/

Only in a Red Dwarf reverse parallel universe...

330/335d's are quick, in fact very quick with lots of torque. They are probably used to keeping up with a lot of 'quick' cars. However, they are no AMG and they obviously don't realise how quick an E63(s) is

Just dont go up against an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadifoglio.

Just dont go up against an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadifoglio.

There was an interesting road test with the Alfa and a non S C63 in Auto Express this week - pretty even performance, and the C63 is well down on power to a tweaked 5.5 biturbo.

Last edited:
One of the guys who works for me has a tuned 335d E91 coupe - just stage 1. 363HP and 520 lb/ft of torque.

My bog standard e63 makes 533 lb/ft of torque. They are not "leagues" apart in the real world.... and that's why they like to try to giant kill.

Or a Tesla in insane mode.

The Tesla Ludicrous things have incredible instant torque/power delivery that create astonishing 0-whatever times but the acceleration curve simply flattens out at around 70mph or so.

There really isn't much that can hang on to them for 1/8th mile but halfway down the 1/4 mile they get reeled in quickly.

One of the guys who works for me has a tuned 335d E91 coupe - just stage 1. 363HP and 520 lb/ft of torque.

My bog standard e63 makes 533 lb/ft of torque. They are not "leagues" apart in the real world.... and that's why they like to try to giant kill.

There was a guy ahead of me on the inside lane of a 30mph dual carriageway last week, in a 330d. He waited as I approached him, quite literally doing 30mph, got level with him, and boom, off he went at full pelt, still in the inside lane.

Very impressive, but very funny too as he had to jump on the brakes about a 100 yds down the road when someone pulled out on him.

Hence my post.

I blame Phill for pointing me in the direction of that AMG grille badge :D.

I've had various traffic light runs with aforementioned BMW's - easy pickings.

Last edited:
There really isn't much that can hang on to them for 1/8th mile but halfway down the 1/4 mile they get reeled in quickly.

Various diesels turn up at TV and VMax - always the slowest off the line and down the strip.

That quote was reference to the Tesla Ludricous, not diesels.

Understood - I was cross referencing to my OP, with the diesel's "short term" power - ala Tesla.

I'm always kind of sceptical with dyno runs and power claims both high and low. There are so many variables and different parameters that can be changed they really are only accurate for before and after modification runs. In so much as you'll get an accurate idea of a percentage gain for a particular modification.

Some read hi some read low, some manufacturers understate the HP of their cars (Mercedes and Audi are particularly guilty of this), so as an accurate measure of absolute power they are somewhat vague and open to interpretation. As measure of difference on before or after they are ideal.

I ran a 335d back in 2007/8. It was remapped to 365bhp and 570lb/ft (normal remap is around 350bhp and 520lb/ft) and produced the following figures;

1/4 mile - 13.2 sec @ 108mph (Santa Pod - mine was quickest, most did 13.5 up)
VMax at Brunters - 167mph (on a par with E90 M3's / RS4's of the day)
0-60 - 5.3secs (tested by BMW Performance Car Mag)
0-100 - 11.9secs (tested by BMW Performance Car Mag)

Not a match for most modern AMG's and certainly not the biturbos, but still cracking mid range punch from over 500lb/ft and can certainly catch higher powered cars napping....

I enjoyed mine and it ran a very strong Evolve remap.

Jules

The Tesla Ludicrous things have incredible instant torque/power delivery that create astonishing 0-whatever times but the acceleration curve simply flattens out at around 70mph or so.

Hmmm. They have a Ludicrous + mode now, which can crack 0-100 mph in 6.2 seconds. Is that a good figure?
(Tested at 6.694 at 100.34 mph)

Tesla Model S P100D Ludicrous+ - New Tesla 0-60 Acceleration

10.72 secs - for a quarter mile
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...ts-quarter-mile-record-with-ludicrous-update/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom