What is the best diagnostic tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miggit

Car
2000 ML270CDI Manual
Hi, new to the Mercedes thing, and I'm wondering what is the best affordable bit of kit to read, reset and program a 2000 ML270 CDI ?

I have a Range Rover L322 and I have after a bit of trial and error got a fantastic bit of kit called a Gap IID tool, I can virtually do everything with it that Land Rover can do with their test book including reprogram the CCF, so I can change height setting, key functions ( 1 click open, lazy lock, etc). It will do more than all of it's competitors, for about the same money.....

So what is there for the Merc, and what is the best value for money ?

Star C4/C3 not sure .. but those are expensive, but will give you the best service.
Carsoft next best bet.

This is to the best of my knowledge.

It's depends how much you want to spend.

At the lower end of the market I would say Autel MaxiDiag MD802 which has some MB-specific capabilities.

Above that it's probably some variation of STAR (original or clone), or CarSoft etc.

IF you next car would be also MB, I would take a risk and buy a clone C4 (can I say that in public?). Risk is that most of C4 clones nowadays are crap quality, even price cannot guarantee you get what you pay for. Plus there is more blacklist problems, licence keys are troublesome to get, sometime old cars are not working at all (K-line problems) etc...

:eek: How Much :eek: Those MB Star C3/C4 interfaces look the part, and I assume that they are dealer standard.... But I really didn't want to spend that much at the moment.

Now which iCarsoft gizmo are we talking about here as they do a few... and are they any good? Only I have one for the Range Rover and it is next to useless as far as function goes, just reads the codes and doesn't translate many of them, and does basic fault clearing on the ECU's that it can access... Which I believe is about 8, where as the Gap IID tool accesses 16+ and allows you to program them..... Looks like that 980i for the MB.

The iCarsoft MB IIa bit more comprehensive, but is that just in the case? Sorry to be sceptical but I've wasted best part of £100 on the iCarsoft and been very disappointed with the result :mad:

Do any of you use the Delphi unit and is that any good?

Here you go. Save a fortune with this beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
Can I have? :)

Of course!

What about payment?

I'm a little short on cash at the moment but I could let you have my Range Rover as payment?

I don't have full service history for either but both are made in the UK, are heavy, go like the clappers on a good day, overheat on a bad day and are expensive to run.

Let me know. :thumb:

:eek: How Much :eek: Those MB Star C3/C4 interfaces look the part, and I assume that they are dealer standard.... But I really didn't want to spend that much at the moment.

you can but SDconnect c4 interface clone, much cheaper than the original one. and recently they released SD C4 + 2016.03 software + Dell D630 SSD for about $700. this kit serves better for Mercdes diagnostics and programming. software in SSD runs faster and more stable than any version update in HDD. it's worth every penny

but if $700 is still too dear for you, you could try SDconnect c4 or cheapest star c3 for your own laptops. this require you to install and setup all by yourself. but it will save a lot, about $200-300 saved.

diagnostic tools i mentioned above are the best clones for Mercedes, supporting as many functions as the original

Last edited:
Lots of people seem to say the icarsoft980 is very good.
Not got any personal experience yet, but was pondering getting it.

you can but SDconnect c4 interface clone, much cheaper than the original one. and recently they released SD C4 + 2016.03 software + Dell D630 SSD for about $700. this kit serves better for Mercdes diagnostics and programming. software in SSD runs faster and more stable than any version update in HDD. it's worth every penny

but if $700 is still too dear for you, you could try SDconnect c4 or cheapest star c3 for your own laptops. this require you to install and setup all by yourself. but it will save a lot, about $200-300 saved.

diagnostic tools i mentioned above are the best clones for Mercedes, supporting as many functions as the original

I purchased the SD Connect C4 unit and Dell laptop package in Nov of 2015. So far it's been used on the following vehicles.
2005 SLK350; Troubleshot the Vario Roof to a Roof Closed switch that was stuck in the closed position.
Used it on my wife's 08 ML320 CDI after an in-tank fuel pump failure and also to verify injector performance.
Used it on my Daughters 05 E320 CDI; basically got a baseline after purchasing the vehicle used.
1996 S320. Somewhat limited and not nearly as comprehensive as the later vehicles. Uses the 16 pin under hood adapter instead of the OBDII port. Vehicle belongs to a friend. Tester isolated a stalling and rough idle condition to a faulty MAF sensor.

Recently purchased an 04 W211 Wagon. Used the system to perform a pre-purhase inspection and system baseline.

All works like a champ. Setup of the SD Connect was relatively easy; took a couple of days as you will have to email the required info to MB Star and wait for morning to get the info and then email them additional info. Folks were quite friendly and helpful during the process. The only thing I might do different is I would consider ordering with the SSD (Solid State Drive). I ordered the normal drive and installed in a Dell D630 laptop.

I've recently bought a Kiwi3 obd plug. Tried about all the apps available.... nothing seems to work.
Help please. I really want it to work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom