What models used this 5-speed shift pattern?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atikovi

standard.jpg

I got this on Ebay from a guy in Germany that listed it as from a W140 model, and in fact the part number on it is 140 267 04 10 but the shift pattern is wrong for my 1995 S280. On my car, 1st is up to the left like on U.S. 300E models. I never imagined there would be more than one shift pattern so I never asked but were there different ones like this one?

Its for a dog leg gearbox given that arrangement because in racing you hardly ever needed to go into first so it meant second and third were easier to change between.

The only merc i've seen it on before is 190, but if its for a 140 then you'd expect it to be a big engine one as you've got enough torque available for pulling away at low speeds.

In summary: I don't know!

My 1975 W114 280E had a Getrag dog leg box ( same box used in Porsche 928 ) .

I believe the car was a 'homologation special' as they were used in rallying and only about 400 made .

Strange how the OP has a 140.028

Interesting centre console..... nice woodgrain..... but it seems there is a very wide gap between the seats.....

I dont think thats from a car is it?

Im not sure reverse was in that position on the dog leg cars.

well that part number (140 267 04 10) doesnt bring up what you have above.
On EPC, the above number related to the correct shift pattern on the knob.

My 1975 W114 280E had a Getrag dog leg box ( same box used in Porsche 928 ) .

I believe the car was a 'homologation special' as they were used in rallying and only about 400 made .

Had that same dog leg config on my old Porsche 924 Turbo many years ago. The theory being you won't use first gear, (other than to get the wheels rolling), so therefore its slicker through the gears that matter :)

standard.jpg

This is what it looks like now. It has a W124 shift knob and a universal shift boot. The shift pattern is correct but looks very cheesy overall. I want the integrated 1 piece knob and boot like my first picture but with the correct pattern showing. Do any other models use a similar design and pattern? W210 or W129 maybe?

Can you not just fit what you have in your original post and put the shift pattern 'inner' on it?
I know on the auto knobs the sport classic elegance etc 'inner' clips out.

Can you not just fit what you have in your original post and put the shift pattern 'inner' on it?
I know on the auto knobs the sport classic elegance etc 'inner' clips out.

No, the one in the car now is one piece molded plastic, can't just pry out the shift pattern.

Your first pic (the one with the one-piece gaiter & knob), looks to be the correct item for the W201 190E 2.3-16, 2.5-16 Cosworth models...

The shifter pattern is indeed the correct dog-leg 5 speed pattern found in the 16v'ers, with reverse in the correct place.

Also the shape of the gearknob seems to be the same aswell & if its one-piece like you say, the 16v'ers also have a one-piece knob & gaiter...

It could also be off a W124 300E,CE,TE with dogleg box, they also look exactly the same as this.

No clues as to what is up with the W140 partnumber...dont think iv ever seen w140 with dog-leg box.....

By the way the partnumber on my worn out old 2.5-16 one piece shifter like the one in your first pic is 201 267 04 10.

I have the same shifting pattern on my ’91 W124 300CE 24V
Can’t tell write now the part number of the gearbox. It’s in the car from new along with sportline suspension and smaller steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom