What products do you guys recommend to keep the soft top looking like new ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackhammer

SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450H
Evening all

I need some product recommendations for soft top maintainence

The roof doesn't leak and is in good condition but the water doesn't bead off the roof when it rains, it kind of soaks in. The car is parked on the street so I need something that will prevent moss, mould etc

I was looking at a product called 'Hendlex nano waterproof coating' but can't find any reviews on it good or bad. What do you guys use ?

Thanks in advance

Nanocoatings are all the rage nowadays but when it comes to the mohair covered roof panels on my TVR, I still go old-school. Grangers Fabsil Gold can be had from Amazon or eBay for less than £15 for a one litre tin and will last for ages. Here's a video of its water-beading properties after being applied to the soft top on a Mazda MX5:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had soft tops for 12 years until I bought the Mercedes.
What I read about and used was Johnson's baby shampoo to clean it although that is based on the fact that it was a mild shampoo without any additives. Things may be different now.
Then the Fabsil Gold, as Toobad said above, applied with a wide paint brush.
I used this on an MX5, TT Roadster and a Boxster.
All 3 cars were daily drivers used all year round.

As above

Vacuum it first....

Diluted Milton's on a damp roof to remove any greening, rinse (never jet wash), then blue diluted Johnson's, rinse until all suds disappear.
All using soft nail brushes or the like.

Allow to dry and then with a 2 inch paintbrush, paint on Fabsil (keeping a wet edge) allow to dry
Or you can spend a fortune......

Once a year should be enough....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom