What to buy instead of a 320clk cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexinessex

Car
200 CLK
Realising after seeing a few 320cdi clk's Im going to have a wait a good while to get one at the price I want as my budget can only stretch up to £8k. I wanted the 320diesel as the V6 has great performance along with the very reasonable economy. And miles wise Id be happy with one up to around 110,000 on the clock.

I think I will be disappointed with the 220cdi and maybe the 270cdi is my only option as I could get a reasonable one for my budget on a 2006 model?

Wondering if I went the petrol route on a clk which would give me the best mpg on shortish runs. Im assuming I could pick up a 2005/6 model for my maximum budget of £8k?

Many thanks again for advice and comments

I remember seeing some CLK500's for aroun 6k or 7K

Much lower miles also :)

My dad has a SL500 (think its the same engine) and he gets 28mpg from that.

Use the extra to pay for the fuel :)

also how much are the CLK350's now? petrol ones. Nice v6 :)

They did a revised 200 kompressor in the 209 CLK's with 184bhp that is said to average 35mpg which id deem as good for a petrol. My 208 230K (modified to over 200bhp) only sees low to mid 20's on the mpg. I think you would be disappointed in the 220CDI personally, the 270 is quite a nice engine but not as brisk as the 200K. If you wanted more poke and stay with petrol but not the V6 the 280 is naturally aspirated 3.0L unit and is said to get high 20's on average for mpg. The 320cdi engine is stunning in my opinion but like you say prices retain well.

They did a revised 200 kompressor in the 209 CLK's with 184bhp that is said to average 35mpg which id deem as good for a petrol. My 208 230K (modified to over 200bhp) only sees low to mid 20's on the mpg. I think you would be disappointed in the 220CDI personally, the 270 is quite a nice engine but not as brisk as the 200K. If you wanted more poke and stay with petrol but not the V6 the 280 is naturally aspirated 3.0L unit and is said to get high 20's on average for mpg. The 320cdi engine is stunning in my opinion but like you say prices retain well.

A 320 v6 petrol will average mid 20's9same as the 230 k but much more refined & smoother).

Ours is a late 2003 200k. Very smooth and relaxing to drive but not quick. Its adequate. Averages around 33mpg overall with up to 42mpg on long motorway runs.

Are you set on the clk? I have a smart looking C320 cdi (W203) for sale at £6,500k with full MBSH and the sports pack?

Yes I really want a clk and have saved long and hard for it. Really wanted the 320cdi V6 but looking so far I guess a 200 kompressor in the 209 with an average of 35mpg would be ok as the 320cdi in not much better than that at around 38mpg.

Looking at Parkers there are seven 200k clks lol is it the 181 bhp auto. Also which would be better the auto Seq Auto or Tip Auto or neither? The insurance group on the 200 is lower too. Maybe even the tax band.

Im guessing there is a big difference in performance so if I got the better 200 it wouldnt seem so big a gap?

I would think so. The V6 diesel has oudles of talk and a real push in the back. Also has the 7G, which I'm not sure the others would have (ignore *** - the 7G does work with the V6 engine!)

Every Petrol I have driven (short of the massive V8's) just do not compare. If you can wait your time I'd be tempted to carry on saving while keeping an eye out for that car which has your name on it.

The proper tiptronic auto is the one to go for. Forget the manual. The sequential is very rare - dont think I have ever seen one. Even on a 200k you should find heated leather seats and a few other toys. Most were specced up. Avantgarde or sport spec look better in my opinion and sit a little lower. From the 2004 facelift the radio/satnav and electrics were much more up to date. Your budget should get a very nice 200k.

Im all for the driving pleasure of a manual but as we know Merc auto's are far superior and are the only choice. I love using the tiptronic on mine when you do want to control what your doing, other than that just cruising around in comfort in normal auto mode is great. If it was the 200k you went for id def look at the 184bhp one that does 60 in 8.5, not mega quick but enough im sure for normal driving. The 320cdi will be a little better on fuel but not mauch as you say and you insurance like you rightly mention will be lower on the 200 im sure. Mid range and torque the 320 will obviously be better but ive not seen how much theyre going for recently i must admit.

I agree with GP too, avoid elegance's really. Your money will buy a nice example of a 200 or like David says, save a little longer for a 320cdi :)

On shorter journeys of say 5miles Id guess the 200k would also be better on mpg than the 320 as the diesels need to warm up?

These are the 200k models. So which do you think I should look for please? If I can afford it with my £7/8k budget Id prefer an 05/06 model

200K Avantgarde 2d (05) 160 bhp
200K Avantgarde 2d (02) 163 bhp
200K Avantgarde 2d Tip Auto 160 bhp
200K Avantgarde 2d Seq Auto 163 bhp
200K Avantgarde 2d Auto 163 bhp
200K Avantgarde (184bhp) 2d
200K Avantgarde (184bhp) 2d Tip Auto

They do Sport versions too but guessing that is just a firmer ride set up as the bhp are the same as above?

Last edited:
The 320cdi clk really hold their money. All be it none seem to be selling for the 10weeks I have looked on a daily basis. But times are hard so can see why.

I have seen a few at around £9k with 70 on the clock.
one at £7.5k with 142 on the clock
but mostly they are upwards of £9k for an 06/07 with around 50/60 on the clock.

The bottom one mate. 184bhp Tiptronic.

interesting about the 320's they are holding well arent they. Must admit though for the extra grand the 70k miler at 9k looks like a great buy; or was that older than what you wanted?

The 184 bhp tiptronic would be best. Ours is the 163bhp tiptronic version. In the real world I dont think there would be much in it performance wise - about half a second 0-60. The later ones are however a bit more economical. Buy on condition, history, spec and mileage rather than a specific version of the engine.

The 320cdi clk prices are interesting. Many around the £10/11k price get reduced after 4/6 weeks but none really ever then get reduced below 9k. Even if they are the first 2005 models. £8k is my very top budget so Im really on the first rung on the ladder 320cdi price wise. I might get lucky as I would be happy with one with high miles all be it not over 110,000.

There seem to be many more 220cdi's and at 42mpg average has made me think twice but I test drove a non clk 220cdi and it was really noisy!!

Wonder what the comparisons between the 220cdi and 200k petrol would be.

I will only buy on condition, history, spec too as I have saved long and hard! And its a car i will keep for 5/6 years.
Also why I wanted a diesel really as all be it I dont do heaps of miles over 5/6years they would add up.

Last edited:
Id personally say the 200k was a lot better than the 220CDi. Theres not much go in the 220's ive driven, but that's solely dependant on how you like to drive i suppose! id get the 200k over it though, more poke and i presume more equipment if you get the 184 or 163 versions too.

On very short journeys would the 200 petrol engine endure better than the 320cdi do you think? My traveling is the school run and shopping trips in the week and then 50/80mile round trips at weekends.

A quick look at prices I could get a nice 200 for between £7/8k instead of a 320cdi bottom basement starting at £8k then going upwards.

Ah sorry yeah. You're right about the diesel on shorter trips so a 'small' petrol engine is best for short trips. Common rails do warm up a lot faster than traditional directs but the petrol will still be better for the short runs you do. Not probably as applicable to Mercs but of course petrols are better in the cold too ;)... sorry that growing up with landrovers all my life talking there haha!

With your sort of use a 200k would be better than a 220 diesel. The petrol is more refined, smoother and quieter. The fuel consumption difference would be marginal on short journeys. The 200k suits a relaxed driving style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom