What to do in Bristol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
SWMBO works for an accountancy practise and they are all frazzled by the end of January. We normally go away for a long weekend at the end of the month, just until she stops hyperventilating..

In 2014 it's the turn of Bristol, we have a hotel booked for a couple of nights (Sat/Sun), we are rocking up on the train so no need to worry about parking.

As per title, what's good to do in Brizzle? I haven't been there in 30+ years so no idea, I guess there are the normal shops etc but any recommendations for a good place to eat? We'll go for most cuisines..

Cheers,

Gaz

Bristol is a fantastic city. I miss it, we were nearly there this weekend also...

If it's a nice day - a walk up Park Street, and Whiteladies Road to the Downs.

Food wise we are a little out of date, but have been recently to Hole in the Wall on Welshback, which produced very nice food at a reasonable price. http://www.theholeinthewallbristol.co.uk/

For breakfast I recommend Princes Pantry on Princes Street - no inside seats so a nice day only venue. http://www.theholeinthewallbristol.co.uk/

A pub we always used to retire to was The Volley (the Naval Volunteer) on King Street. Always used to be able to get a table in a nice atmosphere on a Saturday night The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer

Walk by the Harbourside - Have a look at SS Great Britain. If your fed up of walking take the ferry.

I'm told that the shopping is not bad in the new town centre shopping centre Cabot Circus, which includes Harvey Nicholls. I've only been there once!

The Harbourside includes a few bars. Bit too busy for me, but if busy floats your boat....

The new Cabot circus shops and Piccolinos resturant (just around the corner from Harvey Nicks). Maybe M shed and lunch in Mud Dock the next day. There are some nice things around waterfront area, you could also venture up park st to museum and even clifton village and suspension bridge. Theres a few nice eateries in clifton village.
All of this is walkable.
Hope you have a fab time
Andy

• If you google "things to do in Bristol" or "whats on in Bristol" you will find a great selection of venues , shows etc. Bristol Hippodrome , Colston Hall , Old Vic Theatre. As with most places these days dont wander too far from the city centre late at night , there are plenty of places you dont want to visit!
  • Not sure if they operate this time of year , but there are riverboats that do a 1.1/2 hour tour from the city docks up to Hanham. Also the museum is at the top of Park street ( the city docks are at the bottom
  • of park street ).
  • If you go to Cabot circus there are numerous eateries, indoor crazy-golf , and a multiplex cinema .
  • Have a great weekend.

The Hippodrome has the largest stage outside of the West End so it always gets great shows, this weekend they've the Russian State Ballet, then you've got the Old Vic, Colston Hall, Arnolfini loads of great restaurants one especially fine Italian in Corn Street best to book as they're always chocka.
Bath is only 12 miles and probably even better, if you're a football fan give it a miss, but the rugby club quite spectacular.

hotel du vin is a good venue, I think the city has an imax cinema, a goodly number of cider pubs where they serve a range of apple based concoctions that come in 1/3rd pint glasses. The Cider Shop is a good visit. Cabot Circus shopping is ok as well (if that's your bag so to speak)

Here's my 2p's worth based on living in/around Bristol for the last 10 years.

During the day jump on the bus opposite the Hippodrome and head up to Clifton where you've got loads of nice coffee shops, pubs, zoo, suspension bridge. The Avon Gorge Hotel has a lovely patio area with fantastic views plus good food, weather depending I guess. Back in the centre maybe jump on the harbour ferry and do the round trip, I'm sure you'll see a few changes in the last 30 years. As already mentioned there's the new Cabot Circus development, shops a plenty and lots of food choice such as Piccolino, Carluccio, Blanc plus the usual Sushi, Pasta, F&B's etc.

Park Street is always busy day and night, I like to pop into Browns at the top of Park St for cocktails & food. If you feel like pushing the boat out Gold Brick House which is half way up Park St on the left is always a good bet for nice food & champagne.

Some of the restaurants I've had good food at

Zen Harbourside Chinese
Zero Degrees, Italian style plus they brew their own beers/lager - well recommended
Severnshed, fantastic food and extensive cocktail menu (opposite Hole in Wall previously mentioned)
Old India, just off Corn St for a curry
Fishers in Clifton for fish!
Opposite Colston Hall their is a Mongolian restaurant, again a lovely curry but can't remember the name of it
Browns on Park St

Aqua always seems to get good reviews but to be honest I've never left feeling amazed in 3/4 visits.

One other thing to consider is jumping on the train to Bath, doesn't take long and Bath is a beautiful city.

If you want any more info just ask. :)

Here's my 2p's worth based on living in/around Bristol for the last 10 years.

During the day jump on the bus opposite the Hippodrome and head up to Clifton where you've got loads of nice coffee shops, pubs, zoo, suspension bridge. The Avon Gorge Hotel has a lovely patio area with fantastic views plus good food, weather depending I guess. Back in the centre maybe jump on the harbour ferry and do the round trip, I'm sure you'll see a few changes in the last 30 years. As already mentioned there's the new Cabot Circus development, shops a plenty and lots of food choice such as Piccolino, Carluccio, Blanc plus the usual Sushi, Pasta, F&B's etc.

Park Street is always busy day and night, I like to pop into Browns at the top of Park St for cocktails & food. If you feel like pushing the boat out Gold Brick House which is half way up Park St on the left is always a good bet for nice food & champagne.

Some of the restaurants I've had good food at

Zen Harbourside Chinese
Zero Degrees, Italian style plus they brew their own beers/lager - well recommended
Severnshed, fantastic food and extensive cocktail menu (opposite Hole in Wall previously mentioned)
Old India, just off Corn St for a curry
Fishers in Clifton for fish!
Opposite Colston Hall their is a Mongolian restaurant, again a lovely curry but can't remember the name of it
Browns on Park St

Aqua always seems to get good reviews but to be honest I've never left feeling amazed in 3/4 visits.

One other thing to consider is jumping on the train to Bath, doesn't take long and Bath is a beautiful city.

If you want any more info just ask. :)

Almost makes me want to move back!

Thanks for all the tips, looks like there will be plenty to keep us amused and fed!

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom