What's important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
I had one of those days yesterday when you're reminded all too vividly what's important in life and what's just a minor irritation. I woke to the news of the earthquakes in Christchurch and naturally my mind went immediately to relatives I have there.

I tried to call them but although it was ringing my end, who knew what could be happening that end? Maybe they were out, maybe it was only ringing in the exchange, maybe they were dead burried under the rubble of their once beautiful house... So far away and no way to know or even get there in any reasonable time to help. Talk about feeling helpless. Cell phones were no good either as I imagine their networks were overloaded.

Looking into as much detail as possible I started to find out more about the earth quake and the 50 or so after shocks up to that time. I was horrified to find the main earth quake was just 3 miles from their house and one of the major after shocks had its epicenter less than 1/2 mile away.

I was hopefully understandably, deeply concerned, as were the rest of my family here and I felt totally and utterly helpless.

As a long shot, a very long shot, I managed to find their two daughters on Facebook and sent them both messages. Late last night, early in their morning, by pure luck one of their daughters who'd traveled to a friends house with power and phone lines, posted that while everything was a mess they were all alive.

Thank God!

This morning I walked out of my standing, undamaged house and went into my garage where I house my motorcycles and car and I stood there and thought how lucky am I.

Then I log onto the forum as I do many times each day and I see the threads about people leaving over some misunderstanding or another. As far as I can see over really silly reasons brought about by little comprehension of internet based communities and the wide cross section of society, understanding and knowledge they encompass.

I hope some will read this and be reminded as I have been what's really important in life.

Regards,

As you say, life is to short !!

Hi Dave

Glad to hear that your relatives are ok and it really does make you appreciate what we have.

We also have friends and relatives in New Zealand and thanks to facebook once again, we heard that they too are all ok.

Likewise, friends and relatives are OK albeit a little shaken. Good to hear that of others too.

Life's too short to fight on internet fora - or moan about being dinged in car parks :devil:. We could be in Christchurch, or Tripoli for that matter. At least I have a car, access to the 'net, and a healthy family :)

Likewise, friends and relatives are OK albeit a little shaken. Good to hear that of others too.

Life's too short to fight on internet fora - or moan about being dinged in car parks :devil:. We could be in Christchurch, or Tripoli for that matter. At least I have a car, access to the 'net, and a healthy family :)

+1 - couldn't agree more

Agree sompletely.

Some people just don't know how lucky they are. We all need to thank our lucky stars.

Stuff is just that...stuff

Its family / friends which are important.

As aside the power of the internet and social networking sites at least on this occasion show how good it can be to be connected.

Glad all is ok

I had a bit of a wake up call over the last few days as well :(

Thursday we buried my best friends dad.

Friday , my old neighbour keeled over and died .

Monday morning , my other old neighbour ( who was like my adopted grandma ) died suddenly. We had only been with her on Saturday , as she wanted to give us the tops she had been knitting for our upcoming baby. They are beautiful , so much work in them , and all the more poignant now. I will really miss her.

Very sad in Toad Hall at the moment . :(

Truly sorry to read all that Howard. I hope that's your lot for now at least.

Indeed,

What is so heart breaking is that Christchurch has been through all this only a few months back, and now they have to do it all over again.

The restoration work done since September has largely been a waste.

Emotionally they must be absolutely shattered. Understandably many people are leaving for good; how can they feel secure with a fault immediately to the West and now a fault just East of the city; surrounded..........

Forgot to mention Chch has had over 4000 aftershocks since Sept.........

Looks like NZ is due for another problem. Incoming tropical cyclone by the looks........

Clearnet Weather

God help us - what next???

I read that NZ has some 15,000 earth quakes a year but only around 20 are above a magnitude of 4. I guess people who live there are aware of this when making their choice to live there? That doesn't change of course the devastation or the anguish it must bring, but it's a fascinating fact.

GeoNet – Earthquake

Being a small island surrounded by ocean I imagine also lends it to other extreme weather conditions. Again, this isn't meant to lessen anything.

I hope NZ has had it's run of back luck for now for the sake of everyone there.

Regards,

a very good thread here, like you i have been made aware of how precious life is. life is for living, but we do sometimes take things for granted. very glad to hear your family are safe.

and my thoughts are with all those out there at this tough time

I read that NZ has some 15,000 earth quakes a year but only around 20 are above a magnitude of 4. I guess people who live there are aware of this when making their choice to live there?

Well that's the thing, Christchurch was not known to have an Earthquake problem. Wellington certainly, but not Christchurch!

Having been in Christchurch only a year or so ago, seeing all those scenes of devastation on the TV certainly brought a lump to the throat. I'm sure that other members of this forum will join me in sending our thoughts and prayers for all those affected by this tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom