Whats the quickest way to learn spanish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HughJarse

MB Enthusiast
Car
c250
As topic says... any suggestions from people that has worked?
Ive tried various tapes and methods such as Michel Thomas and Rosetta Stone, but can't seem to find a one that works for me!

Any suggestions?

Don't they speak english! :eek: :D

Best way to learn is live in the country. OK not always practical perhaps :eek:

My Dad (now retired) went to night school courses recently and loves it. I think he's doing GCSE standard. I had a friend who did a similar thing for Italian.

I think tapes and the like may help you order a sandwich, but there is no substitute for talking to Spanish speaking people.

I learned bad German by going to German night school for about 4 months in Dresden - the fact no one spoke English helped.

Ade

As above and go to some remote village when you are hungry, that will give you 30 days as long as you have water

Last edited:
What is your aim of learning? Being able to order a beer and some tapas on holiday or (near) fluency?

The latter - If not practical to actually live there for 6 months, try having one-one lessons with a Spaniard here. The former - a course of evening classes may work :)

Go on holiday to Spain and commit a heinous crime, after 10 years or so in the clink you'll be speaking it like a native!

I should have known better with you bunch of jokers :D

Thankyou Ade for a sensible contribution to my plight.

I go to a very remote village for a month or more every year and just cant seem to progress past my very pigeon vocab.

I can ask questions and generally make myself understood however the problem arises when they answer back!

I guess I just wondered if anyone had had experience. Im not one of these people who soak languages; I think Ades idea of night classes is one I may persue as I haven't gone this route yet.

Get a Spanish girlfriend who can't speak English... ;)

On a serious note:D:D:D:D:D:D when I first went to Sweden, it took 6 months at shool 3 hours a day to learn it.

In a lift later I understood the first Swedish conversation as one old lady said to the other "is it going to rain dear" all that leaning for that

We dealt with a train manufacturer in Spain and was called over to a meeting with their buyer, who was Irish, his assistant came from Cheltenham area and there were msny other English speaking people there. I asked how they all got their jobs and where they learned the language. The company puts them up is a hotel for three months where they only speak Spanish and they learn real quick. I wanted to learn Spanish and bought one of those tape and video packages. After approx. one month of serious evening work I could understand the gist of most conversations untill they got technical or specific, but that is the same with you parent language. Unfortunately that was many years ago and I have now forgetten most of what I learned:(

Some people seem to be able to learn languages quickly and others fail miserably.
I am firmly in the fail catagory. I struggled with schoolboy french and will readily admit that its not one of my strong points.
You must take solace in the fact that your strengths obvoiusly lie in other areas, as I do.

I would recomend two ways:

-There are (private) companies that will find you a host family in Spain. You go and live with them for 1/2 weeks. From experience, 2/3 weeks is more than enough to give anyone a pretty practical working knowledge of the language (speaking)

-Most governments try to promote their country, language and traditions. Call the Spanish embassy/consulate. They will have Spanish courses (or will know details of a government funded/controlled organisation that does)

Quite often, if you start with the government one, they will then help you find or recomend to you someone that does the short-term exchanges...

Michele

Last edited:
As topic says... any suggestions from people that has worked?
Ive tried various tapes and methods such as Michel Thomas and Rosetta Stone, but can't seem to find a one that works for me!

Any suggestions?

Get a Spanish girlfriend;)

Get a Spanish girlfriend;)

And Mattc speaks fluent german, so he should know!!! ;) :rolleyes: :D

Rápidamente!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom