Wheel Alignment Current Prices in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I paid £45 @ Goldenwheel @ Park Royal, West London. Will be more if castor bolts needed. Goldenwheel Tyres

Have previously been to other places with Hunter but they charge to check alignmnt. Goldenwheel check free and you pay if it needs doing and according to what needs doing.

Last edited:
I have been using WIM for over 10 years now - I first went to see Tony Bones when he was at the old place in Watford... I have nothing but praise for him and his team.

I can't dispute other people's accounts, however based on my own experience I would not go anywhere else.

They always got the suspension and steering spot-on, on all my cars including the Merc, and their charges are more than reasonable.

It's definitely a thumbs-up for WIM from me.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

I have been using WIM for over 10 years now - I first went to see Tony Bones when he was at the old place in Watford... I have nothing but praise for him and his team.

I can't dispute other people's accounts, however based on my own experience I would not go anywhere else.

They always got the suspension and steering spot-on, on all my cars including the Merc, and their charges are more than reasonable.

It's definitely a thumbs-up for WIM from me.

UK Tyres Online Cheap Car Tyres Shop | Blackboots Wheels in Motion

£222 , got some saving to do but thanks

Incidentally, most of my visits ended-up costing around £90-£100.

My last visit in February was £45 for full geometry testing and one adjustment.

I guess the final cost depends on the amount of work they have to do on the car.

I took my 211 to WIM after the front ball joint were replaced and they reported the rear camber was out of spec - they said noting could be done. They did set everything else up however for about £40 + VAT, so the price was more than reasonable and they definitively talk knowledgeably.

I then was recommended by an Autologic contact to visit Wheels VT Limited in High Wycombe who have the full Mercedes Beissbarth alignment system including a Rhomas gauge that is essential to measure the suspension component angles to ensure the correct ride heights. They reset the rear which brought the camber back within spec as well as carried out a full alignment for £140 + VAT and the transformation has been remarkable.

Without the correct kit (and I understand Mercedes are fairly unique in using the Rhomas Gauge), I'm not convinced anyone can properly set up our cars.

Here's a link to a (graphically terrible) Hoffman presentation that shows a picture of said device on slide 18 IIRC.

Wheels VT are indies (all ex-MB techs like so many we all use and love). I believe MB outlets charge more than double for this service. It does take a couple of hours however.

I don't use them for servicing, just wheel alignment.

... I'd also do shocks all-round and front springs before having the full alignment treatment if your car has a few miles on it (mine's now at 140k).

Plus new tyres?

That is great advice and funnily enough I wont mention the place, I was going to get another Car done there and they didnt even give me the pre-advice over the phone!

Would you mind listing the parts?

On the front I have had the suspension Arm renewed.
She is still creaking, Would this be a Anti-roll bar?

If on the W203 would you know the parts that need doing precisely prior to the Hunter Allignment?

thanks
Jeff

Interesting yet slightly deceiving thread that i should really stay out of but i feel compelled to explain a few points....

The MB Rhomas gauge measures the declination of the front control arm/s and the declination of the rear drive shaft/s. This is a fancy way to determin the sprung bodys trim height, or in other words how much the suspension has sagged/ relaxed due to age.

MB's data offers different datum category's depending on the condition of the trim height because the recovery is dependant on the camber curve and the trims rake front-rear.

Some.... Not all Hunter machines offer the target datum on the actual trim height, not the declination of the unsprung pick up points. This is how the datum is gathered for most BMW's and Jap cars.

Pricing will always be an issue for owners and a subjective topic but it's results that really matters..... Did the £40 solve the pull or tyre wear? Was the problem simple Alignment or was it the camber position, Castor stagger or a combination of them all?

The costing will differ from car to car so a price compassion doesn't really compute since the complaints will be different.

These adjustment bolts......
The front wishbone/ control arm pick up points have a OEM bolt that sits in between two sets of internal bushing rails. The adjustment bolt has two female grooves that feed down male rails and allows the adjustment. Engaging both rails ( blind ) is very difficult and i kid you not MB UK get it wrong many times to the extent i have personally corrected this on cars that have been back to Germany and they still got it wrong.

Before fitting a adjuster bolt 1-3 under trays needs to be removed, the car needs to be raised meaning the Hunter has to calculate the suspension droop from the live data. The fitting is done but there's more...... If the MB has independent coil and oil then the wishbone has a loaded 600lb coil on it and we need to remove it's anchor!... Or if the car has air suspension the rear actuators will reset once the car is jacked up!

Given the above fitting a £7.50 OEM adjuster bolt for £30 seems fair but it does place concern that any company can solve a complaint for £40?

Earlier post mentioned a comany at Brands Hatch - any update on that please?

I have used WIM twice now, first time, couple of years back, they sorted the alignment out along with some bolts, think the cost was £200 ish, but yes the steering wheel was slightly out, on getting home, I called them, they said bring it back, but due to the 160mile round trip I lived with it until 2 weeks ago, when had the alignment redone, (no bolts), and wheel put straight, £105 inc Vat, the alignment certainly worked as the rear end of my car had been skipping about a little, feels much more planted now, I find WIM to be very good and professional my experiences with them.

I lived with it until 2 weeks ago, when had the alignment redone, (no bolts), and wheel put straight, £105 inc Vat,.

Seems a very heavy price just for alignment using adjustments only.

Have to totally agree with ricky on this one. WIM are the only place i take all my customers cars to get alignment done.

Only ever had a one problem and that was with WIM but the car but give them their due they spent most of the day putting the car on the alignment machine then road testing then readjusting.

The problem the car had was that when the steering wheel was straight the car would pull to the left. Sort the pulling out and the steering wheel was slightly off.

But their perseverance paid off and we finally got there and the car drove fine afterwards.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alignment in the Middlesbrough area for us Northern types?

Ok from the above the deal is that you measure the ride height and obtain the ride height values ( in mm's ) on each corner of the car, from those you can look up on a chart from MB that tells you what the nominal alignment settings (castor camber toe etc), should be for those particular ride height values. Except what you are saying is some Hunter Machines have this information already in their data base, means you don't need to look on a chart?

In other words the alignment values caster, camber, toe etc that you see published in books and things are only for ride heights that are at their nominal factory values.

If this is the case, and let's just say for a 1996 A124 Sportline, will ignoring the ride height make a significant difference to the alignment values if the ride height is say 20 mm below factory nominal value at each corner?

Please keep it simple, I'm a simple bloke... :):)

The cost depends on how may adjustments are made. MB charge 0.7 per camber/castor bolt.

So many camber and castor bolts are fitted incorrectly they actually damage the sub frame.

who would / do you use in Portsmouth Area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom