Wheel corrosion vs warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ant1

Just about to buy a car with mercedes extended tier 1 warranty.

It's been pointed out to me that the alloys have the usual corrosion that mercdes suffer from.

Can anyone tell me if the warranty will cover this?

Cheers

If the dealer has pointed out and made you aware of an issue with the car then this would be classed as a known problem or accepted condition of the sale. The only way around it is if the vehicle is still within the manufacturers warranty and alloy corrosion would only be covered normally for the first year. Or speak to Mercedes customer service and explain your dissatisfaction and argue the case with them but i wouldn't hold out to much hope alloy corrosion can be caused by many different factors so their are lots of ways they can get out of responsibility. If they have had lots of complaints though about the particular wheels you have there could already be a goodwill scheme set-up so worth checking!

Thanks SImon

Thanks for the replies chaps, I enjoy a challenge so will take it up with MB when I collect the car.

I would have thought that the best approach would be to say "OK, I buy the car if you get the alloys fixed", BEFORE paying. ;)

I agree with tode. Get the dealer to sort out the wheels rather than trying to argue with Mercedes about whether or not they're covered by the warranty.

Anyway, what's all this about "alloys have the usual corrosion that mercdes suffer from". What usual corrosion? My CLK was 13 years old when I sold it last year and the wheels were unmarked. Yes, I'd had corrosion problems with the bodywork, but not the alloys.

On one alloy wheel has signs of corrossion on my 8 years old car, and it is almost certainly due to a tyre fitter using a screw driver to remove the centre cap.

I agree with tode. Get the dealer to sort out the wheels rather than trying to argue with Mercedes about whether or not they're covered by the warranty.

Anyway, what's all this about "alloys have the usual corrosion that mercdes suffer from". What usual corrosion? My CLK was 13 years old when I sold it last year and the wheels were unmarked. Yes, I'd had corrosion problems with the bodywork, but not the alloys.

Had 2x Mercs with corrosion around the same area, more lacquer peel. Looked at a e55 amg at the weekend and that also had the same issue. Hence the quote above chap.

I would have thought that the best approach would be to say "OK, I buy the car if you get the alloys fixed", BEFORE paying. ;)

Yes you would be right but when did I say I was buying it trade?? ;-)

Yes you would be right but when did I say I was buying it trade?? ;-)
You can still ASK a private seller to sort out problems as part of a deal chap. However, if it's a really good deal you're getting already then you'll just have to accept it for what it is and probably pay to get the alloys sorted yourself chap. That's the benefit/risk of buying privately chap.

You can still ASK a private seller to sort out problems as part of a deal chap. However, if it's a really good deal you're getting already then you'll just have to accept it for what it is and probably pay to get the alloys sorted yourself chap. That's the benefit/risk of buying privately chap.

What's with the "chap"?

The price is more than fair so no need to build it into the deal. The thread was created on the off chance that someone might of been in this position before.

I will try my luck with a dealer first, if not the simple solution is a refurb. Shame as they are curb free.

All diamond cut alloys corrode. Mercedes won't repair any over the 3 year initial warranty, and why should they?

If it's a private sale, tough.

Warranty won't cover wheels I'm afraid, as mentioned by Mr Dazzler.

You'll just have to get them refurbed or buy some new ones.

If you're as picky as me, buy some new ones. lol

:thumb:

as above, warrenty wont cover that, if its a dealer get them to sort as part of the deal, otherwise as you say, refurb route.

3 years covered, providing no evidence of kerbing. I had all four replaced on my sport plus after 9 months from new, I was told if these go the same way, then providing I have no evidence of kerbing they will replace again and again untill 3 years then its wear and tear and not covered at all. I now wax them every couple of weeks and park well away from the kerb. Eddie

This is exactly what I did.

I said I want the car, but not with those wheels - the dealer changed the wheels before I collected the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom