Wheel Corrosion - Warranty Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_M

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mini & Porsche
Thought this article from a recent AutoExpress may be of interest to those who are fighting Mercedes for warranty claims on corroding diamond cut wheels.

Issue 1251, February 2013:

8503541664_ea32491178_b_d.jpg

It's not too clear, but it is the usual corrosion around the centre cap area.

8502434393_4fc626872b_c_d.jpg

Hope it may help someone else who gets the usual runaround from Mercedes.

S

Standard MB rusty wheel bolts too :doh:

Looks like there's some marking to the edges of the wheel as well? I wonder if MB may have rejected replacement wheels if the edges were marked - betterment?

The new wheels will oxidise exactly the same in time I reckon. A painted silver finish might be a better long-term solution.

I know, I don't quite buy the 'always used good shampoo' and then suddenly the wheels are all corroded as if it happened overnight.

But either way, if I was in a simialr situation I would wave this article under the service manager's nose....

Bet it's either been washed at the local Bosnian car wash where they spray it with TFR while you wait in line , or it gets a regular dose of Wonder Wheels.

Both kill these sort of finishes.

Mine were fine until I had the tyres changed the wheel centres off. Chip a bit of that lacquer off and they are gone.

I'm considering letting them get worse and then getting painted gloss black.

My bolts are rusty, I will buy new ones if they get worse. The level of bureaucracy MB throw at their customers trying to resolve body work warranty issues is not worth the hassle for the price of a refurb and some bolts.

This is why I had my original 18" Sport Wheels powder coated Gloss Black which are on now. (excuse the skanky Pic, Tiz winter dont cha know!)

IMG_0412_zps0f1d60f2.jpg

My 19" Diamond Cut wheels will also be getting the Black Powder coat treatment as despite being less than a year old they are showing signs of corrosion also.

IMG_0090.jpg

I know, I don't quite buy the 'always used good shampoo' and then suddenly the wheels are all corroded as if it happened overnight.

Exactly.
If She had been hand washing the car every week then She would have noticed the corrosion starting.

Diamond cut wheels will never last as the Lacquer can't grip the aluminium.

Mine were fine until I had the tyres changed the wheel centres off. Chip a bit of that lacquer off and they are gone.

I'm considering letting them get worse and then getting painted gloss black.

My bolts are rusty, I will buy new ones if they get worse. The level of bureaucracy MB throw at their customers trying to resolve body work warranty issues is not worth the hassle for the price of a refurb and some bolts.

MB replaced my rusty bolts - all of them including the locking ones - no questions asked - when the car was just two years old.

Top marks for warranty service, bottom marks for build quality though - the new bolts rusted again two years later. :(

My 'low equity' cars from Renault and Vauxhall never suffered from rusty wheel bolts...

When I had my OEM Sport wheels Powder coated I also had the OEM bolts and locking Bolts Electro-plated (I think!) which gives them a dull Gold colour which you can just see in the pic, cost me £25 and will last 'forever' apparently if I aint too rough with the Torque wrench! :p

This is why I had my original 18" Sport Wheels powder coated Gloss Black which are on now. (excuse the skanky Pic, Tiz winter dont cha know!)

IMG_0412_zps0f1d60f2.jpg

My 19" Diamond Cut wheels will also be getting the Black Powder coat treatment as despite being less than a year old they are showing signs of corrosion also.

IMG_0090.jpg

You don't have to powder coat them black! Bright silver powder coat would be a good compromise against a diamond cut original.

Never really been keen on black wheels, but on most MBs they don't work too well IMHO - and if you mark them it will stand out worse than a standard silver finish.

Black wheels just look like you are too lazy to clean them.

Only exception is if it has a diamond cut rim , although this look is being monopolised by Barry's nowadays.

Why don't MB fit little plastic caps on the wheel bolts, like on an Audi?

You could also ask why they don't make their cars properly so they don't rust, unlike Audi :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom