Wheel Detailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h17n dj

Car
W126 500SEL
Hi Guys,

Want to give the wheels a thorough clean before the summer starts. Whats the best process with the products I have, listed below....

Iron X and Tar Remover (all in one spray)
Clay Bar
Super Resin Polish
IPA - Panel Wipe
C5 sealant.

All help greatly appreciated

1 safely jack up car and remove wheel.
2. Spray all over with good APC and leave to dwell.
3. Now Jet wash as much crap off as you can.
4. Using your wheel cleaner of choice, Smart Wheels, Billberry, Sonax etc, etc, and soft brushes clean the wheel thoroughly.
5 Once clean jet wash off again and inspect, repeat above if needed.
6. You can now use your Iron X and Tar Remover if required. I would not clay the wheel, my preference,as you may get some surface marring which will require polishing out afterwards, depends on how bad they are?
7. Clean tyre wall with APC.
8. Dry off thoroughly and wipe down with IPA.
9 Apply your G Techniq C5 sealant.
10. If desired add a couple of coats of wax on top for extra gloss / protection.
11. Dress tyre - again your choice of tyre dressing.

4. Using your wheel cleaner of choice, Smart Wheels, Billberry, Sonax etc, etc, and soft brushes clean the wheel thoroughly.
6. You can now use your Iron X and Tar Remover if required. I would not clay the wheel, my preference,as you may get some surface marring which will require polishing out afterwards, depends on how bad they are?
10. If desired add a couple of coats of wax on top for extra gloss / protection.

That's exactly what I do with mine, plus they will be so much easier to clean next time you wash your car :thumb:

On a separate note Matt,
Why havnt Mercedes put the 400 engine in the new C Class Coupe? I am right in saying that even the C300 is a 4 cylinder?

Thanks for the response guys. They are pretty mint as they're taken off every winter!

Excuse my ignorance, what is APC?
I was hoping to just use wheel cleaner, then Iron X & Tar remover, IPA then seal followed by collinite 476S?

Would this suffice?

Tyre dressing of choice is Megs Endurance using the special applicator.??

I dont think you would go far wrong with that regime my friend.

On a separate note Matt,
Why havnt Mercedes put the 400 engine in the new C Class Coupe? I am right in saying that even the C300 is a 4 cylinder?

Hi mate

The C300 Coupe is a 4 cyl engine and is about 245bhp

The C43 which is due later this year will use the 3.0 V6 twin turbo which will be about 360bhp (basically the same engine as used in '400' models)

Don't forget to give the wheel arch a clean (and general inspection) and clean off the hub and caliper as well, no point in letting all that effort be undone with rusty/dirty hubs etc :)

DB

Bilberry
Wheel woolies
Possible clay
HD wax or Autoglym wheel seal (the new stuff)

Best results :thumb:

I applied C5 to my wheels, did all the correct prep work prior to application and TBH I personally think the stuff is really overrated. It initially makes the wheels look really glossy, however they just don't feel very slick and as a result I don't think it makes the wheels any easier to clean and the glossy finish really,doesn't last. I get a much better finish by washing them with Megs shampoo, AG SRP, then a couple of coats of FK1000 wax. ( de tarred prior to that of course). They are an absolute doddle to clean now and stay pretty glossy too. I top up the wax about every half dozen washes.

If you look at most car tyres they seem to be changing colour from black to a slightly brown colour which most people hide with a wheel dressing. Meguiars 'Super Degreaser' will clean that brown surface grime off and leave a nice original black finish which won't need a dressing. I spray it on, leave it for five minutes and then quickly scrub the tyre with a stiff brush (plastic nail brush) and hose off with fresh water. Also cleans wheel arches and engine bays.....definitely worth the effort.

How long does this process take per wheel? Can you offer any shortcuts please?

How long does this process take per wheel? Can you offer any shortcuts please?

No need to remove the wheel if you have good brushes like wheel woolies.

I applied C5 to my wheels, did all the correct prep work prior to application and TBH I personally think the stuff is really overrated. It initially makes the wheels look really glossy, however they just don't feel very slick and as a result I don't think it makes the wheels any easier to clean and the glossy finish really,doesn't last. I get a much better finish by washing them with Megs shampoo, AG SRP, then a couple of coats of FK1000 wax. ( de tarred prior to that of course). They are an absolute doddle to clean now and stay pretty glossy too. I top up the wax about every half dozen washes.

That's pretty interesting, I have used C5 for a few years and love it - although the Mini wheels have been refurbed at some time and feel much rougher to the touch. I am not too sure it will fair so well on those.

No point waxing on top of C5, perhaps GTechniq Exo if you are feeling rich.

Preparation is key - get the weeks off and get all the muck off with cleaners, degreasers, iron and tar removers, clay bars whatever you need to get it ALL off.

S

Why is there no point in waxing on top?

I was going to apply 2 layers of colinite 476S on top of the C5....?

No harm in doing so. Extra layers will just help fend off the brake dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom