Wheeler dealers Quest (SLK) 9.00pm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
As above tonight

Quite enjoyed it - thought the s-c sounded just as noisy though after replacement

Hard to beat old Ed though !

Tbf it was ok wasn't it ;) they missed the bit of tin worm on the corner of the nearside front wing tho lol

Many jobs would be simple if you had a fully equipped workshop , but a lot harder for the rest of us to do on our drives !

cb1965 said:
That's the difference between being proper engineer and a grease monkey or amateur meddler!

That's the difference between doing the job for real or making a bit of TV fluff.

Most of the work is done by his "mate" Paul.

Interestingly, if you buy one of the cars, the registration document is in Paul's name and he's the one you deal with and agree the price with. It's then scripted through with Mike at the end.

Great show though!

how many times can Ed say fantastic in half an hour lol

Tbf it was ok wasn't it ;) they missed the bit of tin worm on the corner of the nearside front wing tho lol

I doubt that sort of a smart repair would last. It's the sort of thing I used to do on my old cars years ago. Puncture, scrape rust blister, rub down and apply Kurust, then prime and paint.

Nice set of replacement wheels, but did anyone noticed the state of the brake calipers?

And they're doing a G Wagon, too.

The G-Wagen will be on Quest+1 at 4 pm (same time as F1 qualifying), the SLK is on NOW!!!!

Which MB breakers was featured in the SLK episode? Watching it now they made sure the name was obscured. For some reason they didn't want us to know.

Dronsfields IIRC
dronsfield40_1_2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set of replacement wheels, but did anyone noticed the state of the brake calipers?

And the brake hose ferrules - an MOT failure when excessively corroded.

That SLK had more (potentially) expensive faults than just about any car they've done before. As mentioned, the rust (get a man with an angle grinder :doh:) issues were skated over in about two minutes and the state of the brakes/suspension systems should have been filmed in soft focus.

How jammy is Edd when a relay and pump easily solved a problem that would otherwise sent the heap to the scrappys.

I appreciate that labour costs are not taken into account, but, as Pontoneer states, Edd's lavishly equipped workshop bears no relationship to the resources of the average but competent DIYer.

That's the difference between doing the job for real or making a bit of TV fluff.

So his engineering qualifications and experience count for nothing? That's the difference between the real world and the world of the Internet car enthusiasts forum were everyone is a better driver than Ayrton Senna and a better engineer than Brunel! This one being worse than most for that sort of 'genius'!

I would say take some time to find out about Ed and the how the programme is made, but doubtless you know it all already so what's the point :D

I would say take some time to find out about Ed and the how the programme is made, but doubtless you know it all already so what's the point :D

Just voicing my opinion.

Comparing Wheeler Dealers' finished vehicles (I looked at the E36 M3 a few years ago and considered it a worn out banger with a few jobs done but not a long term ownership proposition) and comparing it to the results of the restorations in "For the Love of Cars" I still consider "Wheeler Dealers" to be fluff.

However, this is just my opinion. I have never claimed to know it all or even have expert knowledge.

Why resort to a personal attack?

IMHO their cars appear to be in decent condition for the price they sell them at. They've generally had a LOT of work done ... you can often see cosmetic things in the final 'turntable' shot that have been fixed but were never mentioned in the programme.

The SLK was a £2k car and they sold it for a bit over £3k IIRC - peanuts really. So yes the brake callipers looked pretty awful etc. but that would probably be the case with most examples of that age/price.

The Cobra replica they did looked (and sounded) fantastic and was basically a new car ... had only covered 1000 miles.

You can't compare the full resto's done on for the love of cars to the lightly tarted examples from WD and hold that against Eddand Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom