Where is the best place for valuation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Hi all. Well it's nearly time for my insurance renewal and I was thinking about the cars value. I paid £5000 for my R129 500sl in the two tone white and was wondering if it has appreciated since.
It will be 25 yrs old this year and has 104000km.
Anyone know best place to get a good valuation on it? I'm in Stafford.

Thanks all

Online, check auto trader what it will cost you to buy another one.

use autotrader or parkers.co.uk
that's what most firms use for a quick reference.

Glass I used to use, although I did get an email from them last year I think saying they were going to stop valuations :dk:

Had a look on Autotrader but prices are very mixed.

Well, the range of 500SLs of that age on sale will vary quite a bit, by spec, history, mileage and condition, so prices will vary too.

How "certain" a value do you need? If you just want to make sure you're putting a sensible value in the insurance form, then you can work out a figure from the prices shown for something that's most similar to yours.

If you think yours is unusually valuable, you can stick a higher price in. You may then be charged a higher premium, and if at some point you make a claim, you'll need to be able to justify it, through photos and documentation, or the company will ignore your figure, and use theirs.

Is it on classic* insurance? If so, you can normally agree the value, in advance, by filling out a form, and sending recent photos with it. The company can then decide whether or not to agree your figure, all in advance.

*Requires you to use it fairly lightly, have another car as "daily driver", and to be (usually) over 20 yrs old. My 1995 E220 Cabriolet is insured as a classic, comprehensive, unlimited mileage, guaranteed salvage buy-back, not garaged, and agreed value of £7,500. Adding it to my classic policy produced annual extra cost of £47. :D

Well, the range of 500SLs of that age on sale will vary quite a bit, by spec, history, mileage and condition, so prices will vary too.

How "certain" a value do you need? If you just want to make sure you're putting a sensible value in the insurance form, then you can work out a figure from the prices shown for something that's most similar to yours.

If you think yours is unusually valuable, you can stick a higher price in. You may then be charged a higher premium, and if at some point you make a claim, you'll need to be able to justify it, through photos and documentation, or the company will ignore your figure, and use theirs.

Is it on classic* insurance? If so, you can normally agree the value, in advance, by filling out a form, and sending recent photos with it. The company can then decide whether or not to agree your figure, all in advance.

*Requires you to use it fairly lightly, have another car as "daily driver", and to be (usually) over 20 yrs old. My 1995 E220 Cabriolet is insured as a classic, comprehensive, unlimited mileage, guaranteed salvage buy-back, not garaged, and agreed value of £7,500. Adding it to my classic policy produced annual extra cost of £47. :D

It is on classic car insurance. Who do you use?
Will it be classed as vintage when it hits 25yrs old? I am definitely over 20 at the old age of 34. Dont think it's unusual valuable but I think it's worth more than I paid for it .

Autotrader and Parkers do not give valuations. For a valuation contact a car club and ask the model registrar

Nick Froome

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL Standard
Convertible
Values by Condition
Fair
£6100
Good
£7700
Excellent
£13400
Condition 2: Excellent
#2 cars could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 cars that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and interior will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine compartment. The vehicle will drive as a new car of its era would. No customisations have been made. The one word description for #2 cars is "excellent."

Concours
£17700

It is on classic car insurance. Who do you use?
Will it be classed as vintage when it hits 25yrs old? I am definitely over 20 at the old age of 34. Dont think it's unusual valuable but I think it's worth more than I paid for it .

Footman James.
No, vintage is still stuck at pre-1930
Oops, my poor grammar - I meant the car needs to be 20 or over! :D

Footman James.
No, vintage is still stuck at pre-1930
Oops, my poor grammar - I meant the car needs to be 20 or over! :D

The car is nearly 25 so it's getting old now. I will try footman James .

Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom