Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Manufacturer recommended OIL specification other than its viscosity range and the DPF ash trap, is often related to their recommended service interval. My guess would be that its fine to run it home on the Castrol ultraclean 10w40 [ Don't you just adore marketing speak!] and its already in there anyway. Only precaution would be to observe a much shorter oil change interval. Just keep an eye on your gauges when hammering back home along the autoroutes! In the end your car your decision??
Thanks, Grober!
I hate them with a passion reserved usually only for those single serving milk pots when they spray on to my clothes as I struggle to open them.

Also, this was just what I wanted to hear. Was worried there might be some specific problem with 229.1 spec oil in the newer engines. But it sounds like there isn't and it's only a couple thousand miles back to blighty where I can get it changed.
Who knows? Maybe it'll give the engine an ultraclean? ;)

The one thing I would check is that this oil meets ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 because that will ensure a minimum HTHS of 3.5 which is the important aspect of viscosity as far as engine protection is concerned. That would be my minimum backstop.

The one thing I would check is that this oil meets ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 because that will ensure a minimum HTHS of 3.5 which is the important aspect of viscosity as far as engine protection is concerned. That would be my minimum backstop.
Thanks, 190!

It looks like it does meet the a3/b4 standard:

Castrol GTX - Protects against Engine Sludge - Car Engine Oil | Castrol GTX | Engine Oil - Car Products | Castrol United Kingdom | Car Engine Oil | Castrol United Kingdom | Castrol - Engine Oil and Lubricants | Synthetic Oil | Diesel Oil| ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid

I say 'looks' because the product pages castrol runs for the US, UK, Italian and Indian markets all seem to have slightly different information. I wouldn't put it past them to have two different versions of the same product. Grrrrr. But I think I'm OK. And thanks for the further info on oil spec.

My 2013 sl63 with 30k miles has just told me to add 1ltr of oil next time I refuel.... I've read the above and know I need 229.5, but this is only a top up before the service?
What would people recommend I put in? I don't know what's been in before.
Thanks

My 2013 sl63 with 30k miles has just told me to add 1ltr of oil next time I refuel.... I've read the above and know I need 229.5, but this is only a top up before the service?
What would people recommend I put in? I don't know what's been in before.
Thanks

First thing I would do is check the level with the dipstick- if one is fitted?
For top up any oil that meets MB 229.5 should be fine. I would suggest provenance is as important as brand especially if buying on line.
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Overview Sheets
and
MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

fuchs,mobil,shell

First thing I would do is check the level with the dipstick- if one is fitted?
For top up any oil that meets MB 229.5 should be fine. I would suggest provenance is as important as brand especially if buying on line.
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Overview Sheets
and
MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

fuchs,mobil,shell
Thank you...

I've read all that gobbledegook and it means nothing to me :D.... What you're saying is if I go to halfords and get fuchs, mobile or shell specced up to mb 229.5 it doesn't matter if its 05w30 or 05w40 etc?
I'm not a techy when it comes to this stuff!
It's service is due in April anyway and it won't do many miles between.
Thanks again.

The odd litre of 5w40 229.5 will be fine no matter what else was in before. Your online service record [ MERCEDES ME] or invoice may well detail the oil that was used previously.

Shell helix ultra 5w40....does that sound right? That's what it says on the 3 previous services but nothing for the latest one, but was done at the same place.... Should have looked there first:confused:
Thank you very much

Shell Helix ultra 5w40 will be fine. DO NOT OVERFILL! Anything past the 2/3 mark when cold will be fine-it doesn't have to be up to the max mark

Last edited:
This is a great thread and very useful.

I am pretty sure I was told MB cars leave the factory with Fuchs oil in the sump

I’m on the fence as to go with the 0w40 have recommended for my 2003 E55 or go for the little thicker 5w40
It’s only done 85k so no moon miles

5w40 is only thicker than 0W40 when cold (5W vs 0W). At running temperature they are both nominally the same (40 vs 40)

I’m on the fence as to go with the 0w40 have recommended for my 2003 E55 or go for the little thicker 5w40
It’s only done 85k so no moon miles

My indy has been using 5w/40 since I first owned the car. It has over 100k miles now though.
I supplied my own last service without a problem. £54 for 20 litres from MB Newcastle on eBAY.

I asked this before but never got a straight answer. Low ash MB 229.51 into a B-class W246 blue efficiency . As far as I understand right now its not got a DPF. It can be used no problem cant it ? My reason for asking is Its wht i use on my own and theres loads left. Enough for another service on a little 1.5.

229.51 can be used in some non-PDF diesel engines and in some petrol engines, there's an MB doc online that details which oil can be used in which MB engines. But ideally you should use 229.5 oil for applications that do not require spefically 229.51.

The most reasoned arguement for using 229.5 in petrol engines rather than 229.51 I have read perhaps comes from the USA and is summarised in this post excerpt below .

As a precautionary measure and in an effort to better protect Mercedes-Benz engines from the potential long term effects of the increased use of ethanol., DCAG has decided to differentiate the engine oils that are used for Gasoline and Diesel engines. As such, Mercedes-Benz 229.5 0W40 engine oil must be used for all gasoline engines including AMG. Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of Mobil 1 0W40 for all gasoline engines including AMG, with the exception of the SLR. 0W40 engine oil is more effective in resisting the possible corrosive effects of acidic moisture that can be caused by the increased use of ethanol [ biofuel]. The SLR requires specification 229.3, Mobil 1 5W50 oil. To maintain the integrity of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), specification 229.51 must be used for Diesel engines.
Ethanol combustion does not produce more acidic by-products but more water content in the oil . Water in oil enables acidic combustion products to dissolve better in it and these acids may accelerate metal corrosion.

Ethanol content of fuel is referenced by its E number e.g. E10 contains 10% ethanol. Having said that its likely that this would only become important if extended service intervals were envisaged. I imagine that that a 229.51 oil would be fine if changed at 10K miles and its only if you took it to 15-17K that you might begin to reach a point where the additional additives in 229.5 would really begin to be of benefit?

Top advice. Thanks a lot guys for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom