Whirring noise from front tyre - advice ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottBacon

Car
F80 M3 Yas Marina Blue
I have this whirring noise coming from front right tyre area. It isnt really loud on rough road surfaces but you can easily hear it on very nice smooth tarmac roads. It sounds exactly like a wheel bearing sort of noise where the faster you go the more whirring occurs.

I took it into Merc yesterday and they said it was my inner edge on my front tyres that was causing the noise because they have worn unevenly on the inner edge (not across the tyre).

They recommended new tyres of course

Does that sound right to you guys ???

Tyres can make all different sounds depending on the road service. Perhaps your tracking does need doing. A wheel bearing is more of a grumbling sound than a whirring. Hope you sort things soon, Cheers Tony.

My E Class started to develop a kind of 'whirring' noise from the front near side wheel a couple of weeks back. I thought it may have been a bearing. It also started to pull to the left quite badly.

Coincidentally it had previously been booked in for a new set of tyres a few days after this noise started, despite there being around 3mm tread left.

The attached photo shows what was found along the inner edge of the old tyre once the f/n/s wheel was removed.........not a pretty site :eek:

The tyres were replaced, the tracking/alignment adjusted, and it drives like a completely different car :bannana:

Just goes to show how important it is to have tracking spot on ;)

Attachments

• 20140131_094357_1aa.jpg
    20140131_094357_1aa.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Tracking must have been miles out Alex !!!

Swap the front wheels over (unless they are direction tread patterns)

See if the sound tranfers over. At the end of the day though you'll be needing new tyres

Tracking must have been miles out Alex !!!

Yes - I had a track rod arm replaced back in December however I was reluctant to get the tracking done at the time as I has already ordered the new tyres and booked it in for 31st January (the tracking was done the following day).

The attached print-out is what was presented to me when I collected the car from the company that did the tracking and alignment. It's all gobbledegook to me - it would be interesting to learn just how much out it actually was. Unfortunately I was unable to speak directly to the guys that did it - they had already left when I collected it.

I assume it must have been out considerably to scrub a tyre down to its innards, having said that the W211's are allegedly notorious for needing to be set up absolutely perfectly.

As a matter of interest, I got 28,000 miles out of the rears but only around 14,000 from the fronts :confused: All down to around 2.5/3mm.

Attachments

• img219.jpg
    img219.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 10
You're not joking about gobbledegook - I cannot grasp what is going on either. All I know is to have that sort of wear on the inside of the rear tyres then the rear toe in is too negative ie tyre is turned outwards and so drags the inside down the road. I had the exact same condition on my SL with Kumhos on the rear:mad: 95% of the tyre was still new but the inner edge was worn down to the steel.

Others will tell you it is a camber problem - I say it is a toe problem.

These Kumho ECSTAs are directional tyres.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom