Whirring noise while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_Doe

Car
C32
Afternoon all.

I seem to have a random whirring noise while driving that obviously get louder and faster when I speed up. I know usually this could be anything so I decided to jack the back of the car up and have a look to check for the obvious, like brakes rubbing, bent alloy, bulge in a tyre...

But while she was in the air I thought I would let her run to see if I could hear the noise on rotation... Instead I found... Well I'm not really sure!

With both wheels in the air, surely they should both turn at the same speed nice and freely? Instead the left wheel (where I assumed the noise was coming from) runs really slowly and then randomly stops. Am I going mad or is this not normal?

I did a video recording of it but I can't remember my YouTube details at the mo so will try upload later. You can't quite hear the noise on the clip but I assure you the banging/knocking is very loud

Perfectly normal if you don't have a limited slip diff. If you do it's broken ;)

The rubbing could be the parking brake cable on the propshaft.

Knackered centre bearing on prop?
Split rubber donut where prop fixes to diff?
Could also be a shafted diff, think they rumble quite a bit.
Just some friendly suggestions.

Mechanic says diff :-(

Thinking it might be time to part with her

Try changing diff oil, if the oil you drain is metalic in colour could indicate a failing bearing or internal gearing.not sure what mb use but often silver in colour is a bearing type fault or brass/ gold colour a planet / sun wheel shim fault.
Diffs usually give a different noise on drive than on overrun when faulty it may help to confirm or not.

Last edited:
Just find a second hand diff in a breakers or on eBay and get it whacked in. Just make sure the ratio on the diff matches yours.

out of interest would this cause random misfiring? engine light came on an kept putting me in limp mode and when he diagnosed it it was coming up with P0305? 306, 302, all engine misfire or random misfire.

related or yet another issue?

Cant see any way they could be related. Sounds like another issue. Is your noise definately diff ?

Misfired could be down to a dodgy coil pack maybe. Out of interest, what car is this?

I'll be amazed if it is the diff, Propshaft would be my first port of call and neither of these would not be related to a misfire

So it looks like it could be time to part with her then.

It a 2002 c32 on 105k so it's not really worth spending masses amounts of money on really is it.

She still has tax and MOT so I may try changing the oil in the diff to see if that makes any difference, but I don't think I would go much further then that

Came here after seeing your for sale add. Sounds like the flex disc is very worn. If it goes while driving it can cause a lot of damage..

Did you ever get to the route of the misfire?

Hey. Nothing like a good project. Get her fixed.

Show her some love.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hi Tony,

Being new to this forum I saw this car listed for sale and contacted you while I was at work today. I think this car could be fixed.
2nd hand diff's can be had for around £300 or so.
I had a Celica GT4 that whirred as I went along exactly as you described. We swapped it out for a 2nd hand unit and it worked straight away.
However it is difficult to tell without being there as it could be the prop.
The misfire could be numerous things.
Working for MB at HQ in Milton Keynes I could get the workshops guys to give it a once over if this helped you.
You may decide that it's worth fixing and keeping or it may also help you get the right selling price for the car.
I appreciate WBAC gave you a £2k value but was that based on it's current condition?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom