White marks on MB Badge on alloys (images included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
Hi all,

Went out to the car this morning and noticed these white marks on the badge in the centre of the alloy wheels. Checked every tyre and noticed the same thing, all appear on the MB badge.

I bought the car from an MB main dealer and have had it one month. They definitely weren't there (or didn't show) when I bought it and because MB had a full respray (bar the bumpers) completed before handover, I've been keeping a close eye on the paintwork and condition and I can safely say the marks weren't there a couple of days ago. It seems really sudden so I thought it was bird poo or something that would wipe off but I can't get it off.

Can anyone with any experience with this advise what you think it is, why it has suddenly appeared and what/if any basic action/methods I can try to remove the marks? If there isn't any, looks like it's a job for the pro's?

I had these on my last C class wheels, and I put it down to acidic wheel cleaning products reacting with the plastic centre caps.

Buy some more, £11 off Ebay or around £30 from MB dealer.

Mine are like that and maybe a bit worse but car is 4 1/2 years old. I seldom use wheel wash products though. I think the centres are plastic with a chrome effect coating and maybe corrode from the back.

That's good news. I didn't realise the caps were separate from the actual alloy so not too costly!

Sadly mine have gone the same, she'll out and buy some more , PIA I know maybe buy cheap buy regular :D

Standard for centre caps, cheap and easy to replace.

Looks like a tyre fitter (or the like) has removed them unsympathetically in the past and you'll see the diamond cut face start to corrode next winter I would imagine.

Again, nothing terminal, but might be worth budgeting for 4 wheel refurb next year.

I've seen others post on here how they got some free at services at the main dealer, when they mentioned about how they had deteriorated- will be using this trick on my next service!

That's good news. I didn't realise the caps were separate from the actual alloy so not too costly!

Yes they just push in.

ash59fifty-uk said:
I've seen others post on here how they got some free at services at the main dealer, when they mentioned about how they had deteriorated- will be using this trick on my next service!
I got mine changed at the recent 4-year service free and without question. One of the few advantages of sticking with MB services instead of indies.

If you want something different then get some Edition 1 center caps
I went for the red ones, but they do them in black red silver and white

My car was 6 months old when the centre caps started to show signs of deterioration. :(

Replaced them with a set from the Bay of E and they're just starting to go again, though after 2 and a bit years I'll probably treat it to a new set soon.

You can still get them for under a tenner and it's a five minute job to fit them, unless you want to keep the originals for some reason.

If you want something different then get some Edition 1 center caps
I went for the red ones, but they do them in black red silver and white

Just looked at these and, whilst looking good on yours, I don't think they would suit mine as I don't have the red callipers to compliment them. I've also looked at a few AMG ones, though I couldn't live with those as my OCD would be affected unless they lined up with each other when the car was parked. :doh: I've just ordered some more black ones for £8.99

Incidentally, Roger (AMGeed) managed this perfectly at MSL last year. Car parked up and the wheel centres were exactly lined up. :cool: Never seen it before or since. :D

I got mine changed at the recent 4-year service free and without question. One of the few advantages of sticking with MB services instead of indies.
But get shagged in other ways by the dealer.

After seeing Bennyboy's red centre caps and calipers :thumb: , I decided to be brave, so painted mine, and bought a set of red caps.
Haven't fitted them yet, however - need to refurb the wheels first, in matt anthracite ...

My normal centre caps are the black roadster type, which I buy in bulk (as in 20 a go) and replace at least once a year, usually after winter.

As to alignment, Dave - I'm half way there: individual wheels are not lined up, but on each the locking bolt must be opposite the tyre valve, in line with the AMG logo, and the tip of the star must point to it ... :doh:

IMG_3910small-sq_zpsjqx9vu1e.jpg

(apologies for the state of the wheels, the photo was taken right after I finished painting the calipers)

The centre cap in the above pic looks weird, due to micro-reflections from the tiny dots, but it is actually rather well made, although the metal is paper thin:

IMG_3536s_zpsadauvptc.jpg

GLK said:
My normal centre caps are the black roadster type, which I buy in bulk (as in 20 a go)

Sell me a set please lol :)

I have black inner wheels with diamond cut face- and the original blue centre caps :fail:

My colour-coordination OCD is truly offended by that combination :eek:

Sell me a set please lol :)

I have black inner wheels with diamond cut face- and the original blue centre caps :fail:

My colour-coordination OCD is truly offended by that combination :eek:

Absolutely! I've a black car (for the first time in over 20 years) and those centre caps must be black ...

Can send you a link to an 8-piece set for £9.44 or a 20-piece set for £20.85 ? :cool:

GLK said:
Absolutely! I've a black car (for the first time in over 20 years) and those centre caps must be black ... Can send you a link to an 8-piece set for £9.44 or a 20-piece set for £20.85 ? :cool:

£9.44 for a set of 8? Yeah please I'll have some of that :thumb: how do you get them off? I imagine wheel off job and pushing through would be less damaging. Then again if I'm replacing them anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom