White smoke from center of 2006 CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redhammer999

Car
Mercedes cls320
Hi,

I just got to work a few minutes ago and there is a fair amount of white smoke coming from center of the car when I parked up. It doesn't smell like burning rubber but there is a little bit of a smell coming from it. Other thing I noticed is the radiatior fan (I think) was working really hard when I turned off the engine.

I tried to google but i only came up with this: white smoke from 4.5 | Mercedes-Benz Club of America
This sounds like it could be about the same as I'm experiencing?

Can anyone help, I'm really worried about this as I just bought the car two weeks ago.

If you bought the car from a garage take it back , if privately get it on a ramp and get it checked could be gear box fluid or coolant .

If you bought the car from a garage take it back , if privately get it on a ramp and get it checked could be gear box fluid or coolant .

Private buy.
Ok, I will get this checked out. Can I not check these from under the bonnet myself?

Yes you could look and see if you can find any obvious cause and source of the problem.

Yes you could look and see if you can find any obvious cause and source of the problem.

Ok, so checked the fluids, Transmission and Coolant levels look ok.

Put my diagnostic tool onto it and got this (attached).

Attachments

• IMG_3168[1].jpg
    IMG_3168[1].jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 27
Ok, so checked the fluids, Transmission and Coolant levels look ok.

Put my diagnostic tool onto it and got this (attached).

Actually having googled it, this would not cause these kinds of results.
I think it could be a coolant leak but just checked coolant and transmission fluids which are both around maximum level.

Any ideas?

Oil landing on the exhaust pipe - either ATF or engine oil from a leaky valve cover.

Hi Rorf,

Ok this sounds promising. Would this cause white smoke? Just curious as on web they reckon if it's to do with oil then it would be black smoke?
I didn't smell oil either. Just pointing this out because I dont know right now.

Also if your correct, would it cost alot to fix do you know?

thanks

Taken into dealership today. Mechanic identified as a fuel leak immediatley. Going to have a look for me tomorrow.

Hey guys, update. Leaking return pipe from injector. Stealer ship charged £130 and they valet end inside and out too.. Plus topped all fluids up. Quite pleased!

Geez

The pipes only a few pence and takes seconds to fix, they must have felt guilty and spent the rest of the hour cleaning the car for you.

As for the other problem looks like the Oxygen sensor (O2) Pre Cat is faulty, check the fuses as some of them have a fused supply.

Last edited:
E270 Owner said:
Geez The pipes only a few pence and takes seconds to fix, they must have felt guilty and spent the rest of the hour cleaning the car for you. As for the other problem looks like the Oxygen sensor (O2) Pre Cat is faulty, check the fuses as some of them have a fused supply. .

A fuse hey, I'll check that out for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom