Who still wears driving gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frank O' Phile

Car
gone
I ask this because while out and about last week I overtook a modern Honda\Toyota jap box thing and glanced across at the driver only to see him wearing a pair of skinny leather driving gloves. :crazy:Is there any benefit to be gained by wearing them in the 21st century?

I bet closer inspection would have revealed a car coat on the back seat and a trilby on the parcel shelf. :D

Why not?

My Mum used to wear them in her MG, fond memories.

I reckon trilbies, camel hair coats and Frank Sinatra are overdue a comeback!

You forgot the box of tissues on the parcel shelf........

I've got a pair..... keep them in the cupboard for the old MG. Found my chest wig in there as well. I wondered where that had gone. Thanks for helping me find it.

(I still live in dread of coming up behind Mr and Mrs Trilby Hatt in their Rover 214 on a country road)

I've got a pair..... keep them in the cupboard for the old MG. Found my chest wig in there as well. I wondered where that had gone. Thanks for helping me find it.

(I still live in dread of coming up behind Mr and Mrs Trilby Hatt in their Rover 214 on a country road)

I saay...ding dong...

I ask this because while out and about last week I overtook a modern Honda\Toyota jap box thing and glanced across at the driver only to see him wearing a pair of skinny leather driving gloves. :crazy:Is there any benefit to be gained by wearing them in the 21st century?

:D
I guess it stems from the days of driving open sports cars- woodrim steering wheel plus driving gloves to stop your hands from freezing from the slipstream at 100mph . -- wearing driving gloves in the 50's might be the equivalent "my other car's a Ferrari" sticker back then. :eek: Now the leather is on the steering wheel so fairly pointless really. :confused:

To achieve the true vintage sports car driver look you really need the leather flying helmet and circular goggles. :cool: However the "Biggles look" may be misconstrued down the pub and make you the source of much casual ribaldry. You have been warned.;)

I used to wear them in my Plus 8, perfect for the wooden Momo. Along with a tweed cap. I never bought a Flying Jacket, helmet and Goggles but a friend (who had a Dutton Phaeton - spit) did, plus a white silk scarf with a straightened coat hanger shoved in it to make it stick out when the car was stationary.

I used to wear them in my Plus 8, perfect for the wooden Momo. Along with a tweed cap. I never bought a Flying Jacket, helmet and Goggles but a friend (who had a Dutton Phaeton - spit) did, plus a white silk scarf with a straightened coat hanger shoved in it to make it stick out when the car was stationary.

I suppose with that name a Plus 8 was inevitable.

Same name as the managing director, Charles Morgan, who was the brother in law of my dealer. I always got very good service, albeit after some confusion. But not related in the slightest, alas.

MG, Morgan, open top, 1960's... yes I can see the point for all of these, but an 07 plate Avensis? (example)

You forgot the box of tissues on the parcel shelf........

Did see a crocheted doily but difficult to see what was underneath :D

I used to wear gloves in my Metro, but it had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with Marxist heater systems :D

I see them occasionally, usually in an Asian Practice Coffin too.

As per the above, if I ever bought an Aeromax then I would hope it came with a nice pair..

Same name as the managing director, Charles Morgan, who was the brother in law of my dealer. I always got very good service, albeit after some confusion. But not related in the slightest, alas.

I did wonder.

I used to have a pair, that I would wear when driving the SL on a cold day with the roof down.

Who still wears driving gloves?

1161355843.jpg

Goes well with Stay-Press action slacks and a cardigan from M&S`s `sports casual` collection.

Admission time - I'll speak very quietly.

I have a pair of thin leather driving gloves. I wear them when driving the CLK with the top down in the depths of winter and they do a great job of keeping my hands warm!

I have gloves that I use when driving in the winter as I like to have the windows down.

I also have several hats, trilby included and a flying jacket.

Off to M&S for me then.

I am glad to hear others still have hats. It is remarkable looking at photos of even the 60s and virtually everyone is wearing a hat. Nowadays, with the exception of the odd beanie, everybody goes bare on top.

Who still wears driving gloves? HRH The Queen. I would put money on it.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom