Why buy new diesel cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you are buying diesel, then new (with new car warranty) is the only way to go.

A member here was quoted £3k repair for a B-Class just out of warranty because the flaps in the intake manifold broke.... MB UK offered 10% goodwill contribution because the car had full dealer service history... scarey stuff.

And you don't want to know the cost of a new diesel pump... or misrefueling (which is not covered by warranty anyway).

Modern Petrol's are getting just as complex...

Regarding the original post there doesn't seem to be a lot, or maybe not enough, of press coverage advising people of potential health risks associated with diesels. So why would they be any the wiser. This is a car forum and there are articles and opinions posted but if you not particularly interested in cars other than as transport information on particulates etc doesn't seem very frequent.
The brochures for new diesel cars followed by salespeople tell you how clean they are.

Just got home to find a TB from Nissan telling us to get the QQ 1.5dci to them ASAP for a fix as they have identified / been found out an overheating issue that may damage the DPF (the software is missing a logic step on the thermal diagnostics)

It's a very common car with an extremely common multi badge engine, so I am surprised, but the doomsayers have been warning us about 7 or 8 year old modern diesels.....

It will be our last diesel - a hybrid next (though I will hang onto the V6 CLK for a bit longer...)

PS why did we buy a diesel car?

Choice (lack of), a poor petrol alternative for what SWMBO wanted and then economy.
Yes it's a pollutant, but EU5 is pretty good

My conscience is clear. I never buy new. :bannana:

I don't buy new and don't have diesels any more. Luckily I don't do many miles now so cost is less of a factor. I just got bored with the boom & bust delivery of the modern diesel powered engines. All or nothing even in many newer twin turbo guises.

I say Petrol V8's all the way

Many diesels are being mis-sold as not suitable for short journeys, local journey or lower mileage. The particulates are obviously worse as we don't have DPF's on Petrol cars. I stopped trusting the govt, politicians, statistics as they all lie. When we get real stats and the truth then maybe we can make some decent informed decisions.

In the meantime....V8....V8....V8!

Why buy new diesel cars? Simple. Herd mentality and a minimum of 100+ mpg! :D

One morning George, public officer, noticed that his first neighbour Mike have parked a shiny brand new, silver diesel car. George thought that it is a good idea to lease one diesel car him self, thinking if it's good for sale rep Mike who drives 50k miles pa in a company diesel car it must be good for George too and his school runs, trips to Tesco, GP and twice a year Spain and France.
7 days later George made his first school run in a shiny silver diesel car. George was happy.
(George has a wife Matilda and Matilda loves SUVs but that is another story)
Disclaimer:
The story, all names, characters, and cars portrayed in this story are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), and products is intended or should be inferred.

I blame Maggie, she kicked it all off! No it's true, go and buy a green diesel she said and then we'll make the price of diesel the same as petrol!
And so it happened and and everyone lived moaning ever after. And so endeth the lesson.

TBH when I purchased mine it really did not occur to me that I may be killing people, I assumed that the car was compliant and suitable for use.

Each week we seem to have experts advising us that one thing or the other is bad for us then changing their minds a few weeks later.

The most destructive thing on the planet is the human race which seems to be increasing at an alarming rate and consuming the planets resources but no one dare suggest we procreate less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Headhurts said:
The most destructive thing on the planet is the human race which seems to be increasing at an alarming rate and consuming the planets resources but no one dare suggest we procreate less. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
China did. That's a fair chunk of the world.

I know this has been discussed within many other threads, but I still fail to understand why people continue to buy new diesel powered cars. I'm not really interested in whether or not they cost less to run (debatable) or provide greater torque (not something that most drivers will appreciate). My worries are over the now much publicised health concerns.

I can perhaps understand why reading something like this "A Mercedes Benz CLA (2.1l) diesel emitted 8-12 times the limit on the road" (https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ew-diesel-cars-far-higher-than-official-limit) has little influence on buyers' decisions. For most I suspect the reaction is "So what?". But why oh why do people ignore the often repeated headline:

"Diesel pollution blamed for 12,000 early deaths a year" (Diesel pollution blamed for 12,000 early deaths a year | News | The Times & The Sunday Times)

"Almost 12,000 people a year die prematurely in Britain because of exposure to nitrogen dioxide (NO2), which is largely produced by diesel engines, the European Environment Agency (EEA) said."

Don't the people who buy new cars ever take notice of these warnings? Or is it just that they don't care about anyone else? Don't they realise that they're also putting the lives of their loved ones at risk? Or is it simply that they don't think about such things, preferring instead to concentrate solely on their own pockets?

I've heard all the excuses such as "The CO2 levels are lower in diesels so fit within my company car limits", or "The manufacturers don't provide enough choice of petrol cars", or "People die from drinking, smoking and all sorts of other things". To me, they all sound like shrugging shoulders - "Not my problem"

So is that it? People just don't care!

Surely if emissions are such a worry, you would be driving a much smaller engine car / hybrid / EV or even better, riding a bicycle instead of going for the 350 petrol? :fail

It's a pretty simple rule of thumb really, in todays world of conflicting realities :-- people who tell you awkward or unpleasant things--- stuff that's difficult to deal with ---are probably telling you the truth. People who tell you stuff that makes you happy--- that everything's fine ---- the stuff you want to hear--- are usually lying- to you and maybe to themselves.

It's a pretty simple rule of thumb really, in todays world of conflicting realities :-- people who tell you awkward or unpleasant things--- stuff that's difficult to deal with ---are probably telling you the truth.

Except when it comes to statistics .... which aren't always what they seem - particularly when quoted with no supporting context.

Some things are inconsistent. As I stated previously we are bombarded with health messages which strongly suggest public health is getting worse but at the same time life expectancy has gone up and they've used this to bump up retirement age.

I have no doubt that pollution from diesels can be harmful to some people - but I also have been bombarded by messages backed by a taxation regime that tell me that petrol engines prodice to much globally harmful CO2.

Meanwhile if I care to look behind some of the statistics it looks like buses may well be one of the worst offenders when it comes to air quality.

So why does nobody question their use? Or tax the bus companies to move them to electric.. And why does a significant % of the ppupulation get encouraged to use them with discounted or free travel.

So sometimes it's not about good or bad news - but the way the truth or real mechanisms are just ignored - while the PC liberal elite that know better focus on what is so unthinkingly obvious to them and assume that we shouldn't think and accept it because they do.

Maybe if there was a bit more intellectual honesty and less of an air of righteousness then the real truth - bad or good news - would be better understood and acted on.

Last edited:
Some procreate less (afluent indigenous individuals in Western societies) while some procreate more (everyone else) - this won't reduce the number of people on the planet, just change the demographics.

Unfortunately those who are in decline are also those who care most about the environment.

A report from the PC liberal elite who tell you stuff you don't want to hear
https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/2915/download?token=fV_ubz8n the short version
https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/2914/download?token=NZzDVymh
the long version

PLUS

a heartfelt apology from VW
980x.jpg

Unfortunately those who are in decline are also those who care most about the environment.

I'm not sure I understood that.

My view is that people in Elysium have the resources to squander and make esoteric choices at the same time lament. Those on the other side of the divide don't have the resources to make choices and no time to lament.

Odd question. For most people diesel is the best compromise between power and economy. Resale is good so lease costs are affordable. I'm sure for most new car buyers that's as far as they look and why not. As the roads get more and more congested in the South East where I live it becomes more and more irrelevant what engine you have as you aren't going anywhere hence the 220d to commute. Luckily I can afford to have the SL63 for weekends but it's uneconomic otherwise.

I've got an E220D on order for March delivery (and I'm not an OAP!). The main reason for buying diesel is that there's so little choice; I was brought up on petrol cars, but there are very few petrol competitors in that segment. I looked hard at the Lexus GS, but it just didn't appeal; the cvt gearbox does not belong in the luxury sector, and the rear legroom is minimal. Couple that with the low residuals, and you'd have to be a real tree hugger to choose that. There are BMW 5 series petrol models, but I currently drive a 520 D, and one reason I'm changing is the appalling service from my local BMW dealer. Again, there's also the issue of residuals - BMW dealers just tell current owners that there's no demand for the petrol versions.

Most of the other marques only offer petrol as performance variants - which is not what I'm looking for.

What am I meant to drive other than diesel if I want to stay in the executive sector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom