Why delete a brand name?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
I found the above very interesting, in actual fact I'm somewhat mystified.

Dropped in to ECP this morning to purchase a fuel pump, they have Pierburg pumps on special offer. Normally they retail in or around the £150-170 mark, Euro's offer is £109 which is the lowest price I've ever come across.

Opened up the Pierburg stamped box (with hologram) and find a pump made by company called IT of Poland with no reference to Pierburg, read the supplied paperwork and again no reference to Pierburg or for that matter it's parent company KSPG Automotive, Germany. Not happy, I explain to the sales guy & request a refund. I received the refund with no issues but at the same time no explanation offered on why the pump was stamped by a different manufacturer which I found a bit strange, maybe the sales guy just couldn't explain or couldn't be bothered.

The upshot, I was content that I didn't get a unknown brand product (to me).
At the same time, I was a bit annoyed. Was I being conned or was their some reasonable explanation?

Decided to phone Pierburg and see if their was some sort of reasonable explanation. And indeed their is, well it's reasonable to Pierburg. It seems their car pumps are either manufactured in Poland or France and the Polish pumps are all stamped TI and not Pierburg. I asked why & why would a company delete a brand logo or name that's well respected and over a hundred years old for a name nobody seems to know? Pierburg couldn't answer that question and said it was a marketing decision!

Now, I have a suspicion (possibly I'm totally wrong) why this situation has arisen but it actually has put me off going back and getting the Pierburg/TI pump (can't afford to have a pump fail on a forced induction engine) and I'm now going to buy a Bosch pump with Bosch stamp, made where ever.

I found the above very interesting, in actual fact I'm somewhat mystified.

Dropped in to ECP this morning to purchase a fuel pump, they have Pierburg pumps on special offer. Normally they retail in or around the £150-170 mark, Euro's offer is £109 which is the lowest price I've ever come across.

Opened up the Pierburg stamped box (with hologram) and find a pump made by company called IT of Poland with no reference to Pierburg, read the supplied paperwork and again no reference to Pierburg or for that matter it's parent company KSPG Automotive, Germany. Not happy, I explain to the sales guy & request a refund. I received the refund with no issues but at the same time no explanation offered on why the pump was stamped by a different manufacturer which I found a bit strange, maybe the sales guy just couldn't explain or couldn't be bothered.

The upshot, I was content that I didn't get a unknown brand product (to me).
At the same time, I was a bit annoyed. Was I being conned or was their some reasonable explanation?

Decided to phone Pierburg and see if their was some sort of reasonable explanation. And indeed their is, well it's reasonable to Pierburg. It seems their car pumps are either manufactured in Poland or France and the Polish pumps are all stamped TI and not Pierburg. I asked why & why would a company delete a brand logo or name that's well respected and over a hundred years old for a name nobody seems to know? Pierburg couldn't answer that question and said it was a marketing decision!

Now, I have a suspicion (possibly I'm totally wrong) why this situation has arisen but it actually has put me off going back and getting the Pierburg/TI pump (can't afford to have a pump fail on a forced induction engine) and I'm now going to buy a Bosch pump with Bosch stamp, made where ever.
some years ago i collected a skip of brake calipers from a foundry in the west-midlands to take them to be hardened,the calipers were cast in the west-midlands but they were all stamped BMW

It is the way of manufacturing now - Turn key build where most complex units are built using a variety of suppliers. The final name may well be xxx but the product was built by a,b,c,d,e..... I also believe that Bosch are not immune from this practise. One would hope that Pierburg ensure that their supplier adheres to Pierburg's standards in manufacture and stands by the product as if it were truly manufactured by them. If that were/is the case then you should have no real concern. In the event of failure you would be protected as you would if 100% OEM

Even Norwich Union dumped their name in favour of what sounded like a bus company..............

TI Automotive (an American company) took over Pierburg in 2003. It says Pierburg on the box, but it says TI on the pump (I've got one on my E55). Google TI Automotive if you want to find out more. I'm not worried...

TI Automotive (an American company) took over Pierburg in 2003. It says Pierburg on the box, but it says TI on the pump (I've got one on my E55). Google TI Automotive if you want to find out more. I'm not worried...

Indeed you are correct.
Here's an articlel relating to it:
http://www.just-auto.com/news/ti-au...urg-electric-fuel-pump-operation_id83667.aspx
Note, ''TI Automotive will continue to use the highly regarded Pierburg brand name on the product lines it has acquired.''

But my point was simply why do away with the very well known & respected Pierburg name on the actual part, to me that's what counts rather more than the packaging. Also too, people generally, possibly even within the trade wouldn't be as familiar with TI as opposed to Pierburg.

Paying top dollar for Pierburg is one thing paying it for a generally lesser known brand/name is another. Thus, I purchased a Bosch pump with a Bosch stamp on it and have no cares or concerns where it was manufactured.

Last edited:
I don't really care where it was manufactured; the Polish Pierburg factory presumably still has quality control to the standard associated with the Pierburg name, and I see no reason to suppose that a Pierburg pump now is manufactured to any lower standard than in 1998.

I did not pay top dollar for it; ECP had it on offer.

I do rather wonder where the factory that made your Bosch pump is located, as well...

And whether it is actually owned by Bosch, or sub-contracted...

I know a guy in the Midlands whose company make alloy rims for a major car manufacturer.

They feature the manufacturer's part number and corporate logo and no identifier to the manufacturer.

However, they are made to exacting standards befitting of the marque .......

Imagine opening up your MB Audio / Comand unit and discovering it was made by Blaupunkt or similar .........

I don't really care where it was manufactured; the Polish Pierburg factory presumably still has quality control to the standard associated with the Pierburg name, and I see no reason to suppose that a Pierburg pump now is manufactured to any lower standard than in 1998.

I did not pay top dollar for it; ECP had it on offer.

I do rather wonder where the factory that made your Bosch pump is located, as well...

And whether it is actually owned by Bosch, or sub-contracted...

I don't care where it was manufactured either, Poland, France wherever, even if there is no Polish Pierburg factory and it's TI factory. That's clearly not the point I was making.

Imagine opening up your MB Audio / Comand unit and discovering it was made by Blaupunkt or similar .........

Why, did you actually think M-B made their own stereos?

Why, did you actually think M-B made their own stereos?

No.

But Becker were linked to MB as their preferred audio partner for many many years.. shame they dropped it. Well there are still Becker options available on some MB cars, but this is not the same...

What happens if the Bosch branded one turns out to be a TI one?

Are not paying attention again...

''Thus, I purchased a Bosch pump with a Bosch stamp on it and have no cares or concerns where it was manufactured.''

''Thus, I purchased a Bosch pump with a Bosch stamp on it and have no cares or concerns where it was manufactured.''

I don't see those words on this thread???

But what if said Bosch branded pump turns out to be the same as the Pierburg one that turned out to be a Pierburg one?

I don't see those words on this thread???

But what if said Bosch branded pump turns out to be the same as the Pierburg one that turned out to be a Pierburg one?

Try, reading post #7.

Now to answer your question even if it's plainly nothing to with my point, I don't care who made it or where it was made.

So you're saying you don't really care about the design or the build quality, just worried about the badge on the outside?

16 yr olds do that with clothes...

So you're saying you don't really care about the design or the build quality, just worried about the badge on the outside?

16 yr olds do that with clothes...

What a post ^^^. :fail

You know what, I'll leave this this thread to you :thumb:

Try, reading post #7.

Now to answer your question even if it's plainly nothing to with my point, I don't care who made it or where it was made.

If you don't care who made it or where it was made, what's the point of the thread???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom