Why Hide Registration Number Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SUPERNOVA1a

Car
Mercedes S63 BiTurbo 2012. LEXUS LS400. JENSEN INTERCEPTOR Mk3 8.2
Life would be much easier if when I am looking for a used car that the the number plate a) is not hidden, if it's to be hidden behind a company logo then somewhere in the details of the car the reg. number should be placed. Homework on any used car should be done before I set of in some case's 150+ mile trip

It's annoying for sure, but mostly I think it's a good idea to protect yourself from the apparently endless sea of scumbags out there. A valid numberplate with details of the car it belongs to is a useful thing to have for those with criminal intent. Yes, you can of course gather that information in many other eays, but trawling car ads on the internet is probably the easiest, quickest and safest for them.

I'm guessing it's to stop criminals looking to clone registrations for cars used to commit crimes.

But it is annoying and I have found calling the seller will be all it takes to get it.

So that people can't clone them from pictures on the interweb.

I think it's a kind of paranoia from living in a surveillance society; either that or they've genuinely got something to hide...

If it's any consolation, I don't like that my VIN is on display in the window... but I'm too lazy to do anything about hiding it.

It is amazing what people can pinch from the web, i have just found a picture of my steering wheel and my shins on an ebay ad for a steering wheel re-trimming service, the wheel was done by Royal Steering Wheels and not the other ebay company. The only place i posted the picture was on here and the other MB forum , nowhere else.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...220538?hash=item3d362244ba:g:MhQAAOSwHMJYN2cv

I am contemplating taking them down the legal route for an appearance on Judge Rinder to get some royalties for my shins being used without my consent.

Kenny

Last edited:
Seriously? Cloning?

Maybe we should hide our number plates when parked in the street? This is nonsense.

It is amazing what people can pinch from the web, i have just found a picture of my steering wheel and my shins on an ebay ad for a steering wheel re-trimming service, the wheel was done by Royal Steering Wheels and not the other ebay company. The only place i posted the picture was on here and the other MB forum , nowhere else.

Mercedes Benz CLC SL CLS Steering Wheel Upgrade Leather AMG R230 CL203 W219 | eBay

I am contemplating taking them down the legal route for an appearance on Judge Rinder to get some royalties for my shins being used without my consent.

Kenny

Count yourself lucky all my shins have ever earned me is getting kicked in football matches.

If I am interested in a dealers car and the number plate is covered I send them a email asking for the number so I can check it out,no reply no deal.

But it's ok to post other people's cherished plates on here? Double standards methinks.
I don't do that either. - Unless I know them, why would I be quoting their plates on a public forum.

In reality I'm more concerned about things like track days so that my driving the car around Oulton Park (or any other track) can't be used against me by an insurer.

(I did say it was a paranoia.)

I'm guessing it's to stop criminals looking to clone registrations for cars used to commit crimes.

All they have to do is look at any car in the street ( or car park / garage forecourt ... )

If it's any consolation, I don't like that my VIN is on display in the window... but I'm too lazy to do anything about hiding it.

Then cover it up .

None of my cars display it there , seems a daft idea to me anyway .

Not all traders mask the plates.... MB Approved Used don't. BMW Approved Used don't. Audi Approved Used don't. Etc.

Not sure why people do this to be honest.

If anything, a hidden plate sends the wrong message... you would thonk a trader would want to give an impression of being someone who is open and transparent... not shady and elusive.

Anyway, anyone looking to clone a car can just browse through the thousands of used cars on offer on the manufacturers own websites, no need to trawl AutoTrader on eBay.

Last edited:
I suspect this comes back to "conventional wisdom" on the internet a decade or so ago, and people insist on masking the plates despite it being logically ineffective.

The other reason to cover the reg plate is to try reduce the nuisance phone call scams claiming "your due compensation for a traffic accident" it's one less piece of information for the caller to have.

Not all traders mask the plates.... MB Approved Used don't. BMW Approved Used don't. Audi Approved Used don't. Etc.

Not sure why people do this to be honest.

If anything, a hidden plate sends the wrong message... you would thonk a trader would want to give an impression of being someone who is open and transparent... not shady and elusive.

Anyway, anyone looking to clone a car can just browse through the thousands of used cars on offer on the manufacturers own websites, no need to trawl AutoTrader on eBay.

Actually MB used sales sort of do. They put their own blank plate over the front plate in the first photo but then usually leave the rear exposed (so to speak). They then go further and show the registration number in the advert. Weird really.

Can you tell that I have been car shopping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom