Why in God's name don't they make an E400 saloon/ wagon?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjcodex

Car
S350 W222 SL55 AMG
As above!

I have a w212 e350 which I need to replace and don't want a diesel or a 4 cyl engine (and hybrids are no good for our current company policy due to the ridiculous mpg claims).

For me the choices now are either an e43 or an e63!

Much as I would love either of the above they are massive overkill for what I need which is essentially a direct replacement for mine!

Just love to know why!

Dammit !!!!!

That makes it WORSE!!!!! Lol

My current car has been just excellent - 180k mikes and still going strong. This is the main reason I am so mortified to not be able to directly replace it.

Admit that I am tempted but to be honest it is a bit more than I need and priced accordingly.

I have am SL55 for fun, and just looking for a reliable workhorse for the week.

Also prefer to by used so I will have to wait a couple of years. It may well be the solution.

I raised the thread mainly because I was curious as to whether 6cyl engines we just no longer interesting to my below forum members (ie it is just me hankering after such a car)

J

Your not alone, I always look for 6 cylinder petrol engines.

Well I did until I discovered the 5.5 litre V8, but realistically a 3-3.5 litre 6 cyl is my desire.

This is the very reason I bought an S6 Avant. (although this is a V8 not a V6).

I would have liked an E500 Estate but it was never going to happen in the UK. I just didn't like the new E class and as much I enjoy the 400 engine in our SL I didn't think it would suit an Estate daily.

We've had the S6 for 2000 miles now and it's proved to be a revelation. I really don't understand why Audi don't sell more of these in the UK. It is effectively a Bentley Continental estate for £100K less than the Bentely GT.

Last edited:
I can certainly see the appeal of the S6 - great cars.

If I am honest I haven't fallen completely in love with the latest version of the e just yet, but time will tell - I find the interior a little too bling in the e43.

J

You're not alone. I buy secondhand, do low miles and always look for a 6 or 8 cylinder petrol.

The 5.5 V8 in mine is great but I'd happily have settled for a 3.0 V6 TT with 300-odd BHP.

But there was no such thing available.

The 3.0 V6 TT likes to rev. The difference between our two cars are night and day and I find myself reaching for the S6 keys more than the SL. This is down to power delivery not outright performance.

The S6 feels effortless and lazy in it's power delivery and as a result the drive and ride is comfortable and effortless.

The SL feels like it want's to be revved and is much more a weekend roof down fun car but it just doesn't have the same effortless delivery of power.

In hindsight I should have bought the 500 instead of the 400.

AMG's have lost their appeal to me now for the same reason as RS's - they are simply too powerful and too much, certainly as a daily driver.

The SL feels like it want's to be revved and is much more a weekend roof down fun car but it just doesn't have the same effortless delivery of power.

your car needs an Italian tune up

I find my SL400 plenty quick and responsive enough, and effortless enough. Sure, no AMG kick but what it delivers works well for public roads. I spanked it hard, it delivered, in Norway and Scotland, and I only thought it needed more power when we were on unrestricted autobahn

your car needs an Italian tune up

I find my SL400 plenty quick and responsive enough, and effortless enough. Sure, no AMG kick but what it delivers works well for public roads. I spanked it hard, it delivered, in Norway and Scotland, and I only thought it needed more power when we were on unrestricted autobahn

I'm not suggesting it's slow or not capable in the slightest. Once I took delivery of the S6 I realised I prefer the lazy less frenetic performance of a V8.

This is less a reflection of the car itself and more to do with my personal driving style/characteristics and what I prefer.

Many people drive a Bentley GT and say it's boring and uninvolving much like a CL or S coupe, they then find much more enjoyment in an AMG product. I'd be more comfortable in the Bentley, I just think I'm getting old!

Once I took delivery of the S6 I realised I prefer the lazy less frenetic performance of a V8.

I hadn't realised the S6 has a V8, but yes, a V8 is a different experience. I think an SL500 is over engined and under developed. When I tested one, it was too powerful for the suspension set up. a V8 R231 SL is best had in an AMG.

I hadn't realised the S6 has a V8, but yes, a V8 is a different experience.

It's the same engine found in the RS6 but with smaller turbos and a double clutch gearbox. It's actually a bargain and I don't understand why they didn't sell more. I guess it suffers from "not being top of the range" syndrome.

All the new ones will be V6's

My cousin had an RS6 and whilst it was a phenomenal piece of kit, you are absolutely correct that it is just too much for most of the time.

No doubting its performance (it could outpace my old 911 turbo 996 in a straight line) but unless you were travelling at warp speed it felt like it was disinterested.

I can fully see the appeal of the s6 and may well look further when mine comes up for change.

I also occasionally look at the s8 which enjoys just awesome depreciation and makes for quite an interesting 'q'car if you don't mind bigger stuff. I always loved the idea of the v10 version- madness!!!

I have a w212 e350 which I need to replace and don't want a diesel or a 4 cyl engine (and hybrids are no good for our current company policy due to the ridiculous mpg claims).

I have loved every minute of my E350 estate, and I hated the E350cdi S212 I had before.
The UKs stupid fear of petrol is so annoying.

I got to have a go in the new BMW 540i the other day, and oh my word that is a very, very rounded car.
Definitely try one of those out.

I always feel like I am in a very exclusive group of people who like larger (but not massive) petrol cars for the miles.

Mine has been just amazing and with 180k miles on the clock it still feels strong as an ox!

It's going to be a tough act to follow!
540 eh! I will check them out. I used to run 735i s many years ago (I want to say e38 but I can't remember - the last one before Bangle ruined them) and they were great as well.

J

...I find myself reaching for the S6 keys more than the SL.

What a lovely choice of cars to have! Probably my ideal stable - I already have the V8 estate but need the SL (one day...). Mind you, having read your threads on the S6, it sounds fabulous, probably a step up from the E500: a little more torque to help with effortless progress and better handling (the E500 is really a bit soft for making progress on twisty roads).

I love my CLS55k daily, but for 95% of my driving my much loved and now departed W211 E500 "amg"sport was much quieter , more comfortable, more economical and a far smoother drive...... But I would really miss the other 5%

It looks like MB were caught of guard with the sudden unpopularity of diesel. When I just replaced my S212 e350cdi I wanted a petrol and the only options were an e43 or e63. With a smattering of options an e63 is a £100k car. I bought an e43 and picked it up a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. So far it's been great. The engine is extremely quiet (in comfort) after the cdi that I'm still checking if it's off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom