1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

why VW diesel onwners in Europe not compensated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m2mb, Dec 4, 2016.

1. m2mb

m2mb Active Member

Car:
    E220 CDI 2008
  2. 400ixl

400ixl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    In the UK, the government hasn't re-banded the cars to make them a higher tax bracket and the value doesn't appear to have suffered on the secondhand market.

Therefore, what is there to compensate the owner on? You could say that people don't want a car which pollutes more than they expected, but how do you compensate for that?

Most owners I know don't seem to care, some compensation would have been nice, but a bonus not a requirement.

The US owners I know have an entirely different mentality and saw only dollar signs from day one.

3. grober

grober Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    [​IMG]
    Pretty much sums it up.

4. Dryce

Dryce Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    US is a different jurisdiction:

(1) Different test standards

(2) Different specification

(3) A different legal system

The UK legal system is based on damages compensating for actual loss.

In the US the system is based on damagess being awarded for loss and they amy be increased as a punishment.

Also VW is a foreign company to the US. The EU and US tend (IMO) to be harsher on US and EU companies respectively when it comes to investigations and fines.