Why you shouldn't fit aftermarket HID kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hang on, another thread? We haven't had any evidence proving then to be ok posted in the last one yet!?!

Who's getting the popcorn?

Might be worth adding this link from the Department for Transport...

In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

M.

really? So the difference twixt a halogen and HID is the 1mm difference in placement of the main part of the filament. So a very slightly bent h4 would deflect the beam just as much as the hid kit? Driving home tonight in a mates mitsubishi, I noted the four or five different levels of shading on the beam pattern (to no advantage that I could see), and the half a dozen (out of 20 ish) cars that 'blinded' me on my 5 mile journey.

Surely we should be more concerned about badly aligned lights rather that what bulb is in there?

really? So the difference twixt a halogen and HID is the 1mm difference in placement of the main part of the filament. So a very slightly bent h4 would deflect the beam just as much as the hid kit?

That's not how it works.

The issue with the incorrect filament is that the light source is always in a different place and a burner effectively has two point sources, whereas a filament lamp has one.
This means the reflector cannot focus the light, hence the scatter.

I think we need to defrentiate between our views of certain laws, and the question of whether they should be obeyed.

Going back to yet another good old 'bring out the popcorn' thread, I don't think that the legislation against private ownership of handguns makes any sense at all, and I have no doubt that if I did own a handgun it will be 100% safe and I would not be putting anyone at risk, and yet I have no intention whatsoever of obtaining an illegal handgun simply based on the premise that the legislation banning it is rubbish.

So whatever the argument in favour of fitting aftermarket HID may be... don't. It's wrong to fit them because it is illegal, regardless of the fact that some bloke on the Internet thinks it is OK.

Last edited:
I think we need to defrentiate between our views of certain laws, and the question of whether they should be obeyed.

Going back to yet another good old 'bring out the popcorn' thread, I don't think that the legislation against private ownership of handguns makes any sense at all, and I have no doubt that if I did own a handgun it will be 100% safe and I would not be putting anyone at risk, and yet I have no intention whatsoever of obtaining an illegal handgun simply based on the premise that the legislation banning it is rubbish.
WOW. What a thread derailment.

I'm not sure of the relevance of handguns to HID lights.

WOW. What a thread derailment.

I'm not sure of the relevance of handguns to HID lights.

When I applied for my FAC, the police asked me about previous traffic offences. When I asked how are traffic offences relevant to firearm ownership, the reply was that having a large number of traffic offences shows a behavioral pattern of disrespect for the law, which in itself is grounds enough to reject an FAC application.

I would argue that anyone who knowingly fit illegal modifications to their cars, potentially put other people at risk, and we should ask ourselves if they are fit to be in command of a motor vehicle?

Extreme view? Overly Puritan? Perhaps, but a legitimate point of view nevertheless - or at least as legitimate as that of those who think that laws should only be obeyed if they happen to agree with them.

What a messy sticky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom