Why you shouldn't fit aftermarket HID kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Note the word mostly, the link to the article is based on a reflector headlight, didnt see anything about projectors

The link in post #4 is very clear IMHO.

That may be, but half the cars on the road have such poorly aligned headlamps that the 'poor' beam pattern in the link is negated. When i fitted a set to my 1996 iveco lorry, i could see better. A lot better. And noone flashes me.

What is your statement that half the cars on the roads have poorly aligned headlamps based on? I find this surprising especially considering that the aligment is checked annually for the MOT test.

Most internet Chinese HID headlamp conversion kits don't usually dazzle anyone for long
THEY ONLY WORK FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS AND THEN ITS BACK TO STANDARD BULBS.
THEY ARE JUNK.AND WOULD BE BETTER FITTED TO A CHINESE JUNK!!!

What is your statement that half the cars on the roads have poorly aligned headlamps based on? I find this surprising especially considering that the aligment is checked annually for the MOT test.

Subgectiveness. If thats a word. Theres far worse alignment issues than the posted few mm of max brightness of the illuminating element. If it doesnt dazzle, its fine. Imho.

MB being fairly thorough carmakers, probably provided the vehicle with adequate lights to begin with. Washing the dust off the reflector abd fitting a new bulb will make it as good as new. If you feel that the standard lighting is inadequate, it might be due to defective night vision.

I do not find it surprising at all. What is stopping someone from opening the bonnet and increasing the height of the lights manually using just a screwdriver? Also you know how cars with non xenon/led lights from factory have that knob that lowers the lights when you have a load in the back area of the car or towing? Who is telling people to use it? Nobody! That is half of the problem. Self leveling lights should be mandatory on all cars due to the amount of monkeys that do not know what half the switches in their car do.

That's him told...nearly three years later!!:doh:

Indeed.
Though I've just read the thread as it is a 'sticky' and hence I thought it might be of interest.
Most interesting point was Godwins Law ;-)

As for legality and otherwise, guess similar opinions (and facts) relate to removal of cats and so on ...

There's a law somewhere on the internet that states when the conversation includes Hitler the it should be closed.

...What is stopping someone from opening the bonnet and increasing the height of the lights manually using just a screwdriver?...

It never occurred me to me to try and do that.

In fact I would hazard a guess that 90% of motorist (present company excluded) never ever open the bonnet... let alone pick-up a screw driver and and randomly start turning various screws in the engine bay........

How many motorists actually check the oil level between services anyway?

I expect that a minority of cars will need to have their headlamps alignment done at MOT times... but the vast majority won't.

It never occurred me to me to try and do that.

In fact I would hazard a guess that 90% of motorist (present company excluded) never ever open the bonnet... let alone pick-up a screw driver and and randomly start turning various screws in the engine bay........

How many motorists actually check the oil level between services anyway?

I expect that a minority of cars will need to have their headlamps alignment done at MOT times... but the vast majority won't.

Agreed

Everyone I know batters there car but never thinks to check the engine oil

upgrading my front lights

hi guys..i have just registered i really dont know how to post..basically i have cla45 orange art 2016. needed help on upgrading my front lights from xenon to led..any help welcomed pls

I do not find it surprising at all. What is stopping someone from opening the bonnet and increasing the height of the lights manually using just a screwdriver? Also you know how cars with non xenon/led lights from factory have that knob that lowers the lights when you have a load in the back area of the car or towing? Who is telling people to use it? Nobody! That is half of the problem. Self leveling lights should be mandatory on all cars due to the amount of monkeys that do not know what half the switches in their car do.
Agree, I used my mothering laws car the other night only to find the headlamps turned right down on the rotary switch.

When I returned the car to her she said she had no idea what the rotary switch was and must have moved it while cleaning the car !

She had been driving it like that for months. Auto adjustment all the way.

hi guys..i have just registered i really dont know how to post..basically i have cla45 orange art 2016. needed help on upgrading my front lights from xenon to led..any help welcomed pls

If I were you, I would not even entertain that. The xenons are good enough. If it is a straight swap xenons for LEDs, I would imagine the cost involved (if even possible) would not be worth the outcome. If you are talking ILS for ILS with the multi-beam (don't know if that's even available on the CLA), then cost will be through the roof. Cameras, sensors etc for the LEDs, not to mention all new headlights, wiring and so on.
Drop that idea and enjoy the xenons. Think of the millions of cars that don't even have that luxury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom