Wife's Golf R stolen last night - they left my AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C60three

Car
V60
We have a Golf R on 2 yr business deal, no GAP insurance. No tracker. We have had the car 6 months or so and it is insured with LV.
They broke into the house whilst we were in bed last night and took the keys to my wife's Golf leaving my C63?? This seemed to surprise the traffic cop (who hadn't heard of a Golf R)
Very scary and gutted that they have been in our house. I heard them and saw the car being driven off at speed. I always make an effort for not leave car keys where they can be hooked through the letter box. I never hide them really well, as I have always thought, if someone breaks in for the car keys, you don't want them to come upstairs looking for them!
House insurance were great, sending out a locksmith in the early hours to make the house secure again.
CSI have been out this morning and it appears these guys really knew what they were doing.
Unfortunately, the Police so far have been unable to locate the car.
With it being Easter the insurance co are on 'skeleton staff' and the guy didn't want to comment on whether we had 'new for old cover' with the car being less than a year old.
What happens if they don't recover it? When do they write it off, 30 days?
Do we have to source a car of similar age and spec?
Would insurance settle with finance co? (and we make up the 'GAP', if we don't have new for old).
I know I need to try and download our policy docs and try and wade through the small print!! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Possibly stolen to order-- may be a "same colour" wrecked Golf R somewhere ready to donate its identity to your wife's golf??

Possibly stolen to order-- may be a "same colour" wrecked Golf R somewhere ready to donate its identity to your wife's golf??

May be? Plod suggested it may be a decoy to attract attention away from another gang sealing an ATM with a digger..... Not convinced!

In theory , your insurer should put you back in the position you were in before the incident , at worst that might mean sourcing a six month old car - or they might settle outstanding finance and let you start again on a new finance deal with a new car ?

Hope they don't try to come back for the C63

Unfortunately once you have suffered a burglary you are likely to be targeted again as the scumbag thieves will expect you to replace the stolen goods and they already know how to break in.

I recommend you have a burglar alarm fitted and security lights if you haven't done so already, also take the car keys to bed with you.

I'm 99% positive that LV is new for old car replacement upon total loss for the first 12months, providing you are the first owner.

I've been checking insurance companies for this exact cover, as my insurance is currently up for renewal and I'm awaiting delivery of a new car.

Golf R always used to rank in the top 5 nicked cars. Awesome cat though and sorry for the ordeal you have been through.

, also take the car keys to bed with you.

Not a good idea. If people are willing to break into your house, do you really want them wandering upstairs with a knife, and coming into your room and threatening your wife/son, daughter, etc.

I was almost blown off the road today by newish black Golf. It was driven like it was nicked. I don't know where are you from but this happened on A5123 towards Sixfields stadium (Northampton).

Golf R always used to rank in the top 5 nicked cars. Awesome cat though and sorry for the ordeal you have been through.

Possibly getaway car - needs to be fast but Iinconspicuous? Something that does not attract unwanted attention and which will not be etched in the mind of potential witnesses...

flowrider99 said:
Unfortunately once you have suffered a burglary you are likely to be targeted again as the scumbag thieves will expect you to replace the stolen goods and they already know how to break in. I recommend you have a burglar alarm fitted and security lights if you haven't done so already, also take the car keys to bed with you.

My friend has a ludicrously fast BMW motorbike and a Harley Davidson in his garage. He's tried everything, bolting the bikes to the garage floor, lights, alarms, cctv , parking his van in front of the door; which they just move...6 times they've been broken into!

Not a good idea. If people are willing to break into your house, do you really want them wandering upstairs with a knife, and coming into your room and threatening your wife/son, daughter, etc.

If your name is Stephen Seagal , perhaps you do .

The majority of burglars are opportunist and will flee once discovered. Granted there are a very small minority that could turn to violence but these desperate thieves are after Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborginis etc.

My friend has his Audi S5 coupe stolen 2 weeks ago from Solihull. They left a brand new A class AMG.

He's heartbroken and pay out is rubbish.

Surely a simple house alarm activated at night prevents this type of theft?

I'm 99% positive that LV is new for old car replacement upon total loss for the first 12months, providing you are the first owner.

OP doesn't own the car at all, it's leased.

I've seen comments on PistonHeads about other Golf R's being stolen in the same way.

Alarm is fine as long as you remember to activate the relevant zones before going to sleep (and assuming you don't have a cat,...), CCTV not so much because many thieves these days just don't care to be seen on CCTV, but a sensor-motion activated floodlight above all external doors is a very good deterrent.

The _Don said:
Surely a simple house alarm activated at night prevents this type of theft?

I don't think it matters what system you've got. If they want it, they'll go and get it...

http://youtu.be/DshK4ZXPU9o

This is at the forefront for us at the mo, I caught a little **** trying to gain entry to the house and next door got done late last year.

House alarm for sure monitored would be best.

Nice large Alarm box and security lights also wire these so they come on from alarm

Thieves need quiet and dark to work

CCTV it make no difference at the home other that an accurate time log, or if you are away you can still watch you pet fish swimming about over the tinternet'
Let's face it CCTV is defeated by a hoody
Saying that it may deter other types of theft like walk in theft at office etc

I've been discussing security of my industrial unit with our broker only the insured value and quality of service from alarm firm makes a difference to cost so therefore only these make a difference in real terms IMHO
I've fitted new alarms at home and work after a spate of thieving in the area (Ealing w London)

It's not the Wild West out there the UK is pretty safe but making your house unappealing to thieves is the best course

Sorry to hear about your loss...
I would imagine with the car being 6 months old your insurance will get you a like for like (being only 6 months old your unlikely to get an abused car from a dealer) after having a previous high value car stolen from me in the past with a knock on the door and 2 blokes with baseball bats) i down graded cars and got two guard dogs, it puts people off knocking the door let alone robbing me & more of a deterrent than CCTV & a burglar alarm. Personally i dont keep my keys in my bedroom just out of sight.... they can take my cars but id rather not have them come next to the Mrs and me in bed to take them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom