Will this come out with T Cut?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's just Fates way of telling you that you need to buy a new shiny thing.

It's just Fates way of telling you that you need to buy a new shiny thing.
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Subject to the frame not being twatted, that's (obviously) a new wing and a (to save pissing about) door - plus labour to swap the door cards/glass/electrics (and maybe mirror, clearly). The fun is finding a matching one, or getting one sprayed.....(or at least blended)

A long time ago I had a VW Bora and was in a (very tight) multi-storey - someone entirely screwed up a corner and took out my drivers door. Then reversed, tried again, and took out the driver side rear door as well. Following paint job and costs of hire car, I believe the bill was circa £4,500 - and that was around 2004/2005.

For context, my last bop (a very embarassing rear shunt, circa 2012, entirely my fault) knocked a (new) Yaris bumper onto it's strut. New bumper, swap, paint, plus repair to the strut under it, and swapping parking sensors, was also nigh on £4000

Either paint is stupidly expensive, or someone is having a giraffe.

Also, T-Cut alone won't do it. You'll need a good clay bar afterward.

Get it back off the insurers, have a new wing fitted, source a 2nd hand door in the same colour (may take a while).
Then take it to a decent paint shop to have the other door repaired and the wing painted. £2k tops
Only down side is the car will then be a category N or D so make sure you keep photographic evidence of everything, so when you sell the future buyer will have nothing to worry about.

Get it back off the insurers, have a new wing fitted, source a 2nd hand door in the same colour (may take a while).
Then take it to a decent paint shop to have the other door repaired and the wing painted. £2k tops
Only down side is the car will then be a category N or D so make sure you keep photographic evidence of everything, so when you sell the future buyer will have nothing to worry about.
Good tip about photographic evidence - thanks.

All this depends on the insurance company being okay with you buying the car back. I know Admiral aren't keen on this.

All this depends on the insurance company being okay with you buying the car back. I know Admiral aren't keen on this.
This might sound like a stupid question but am I right to presume that if it's written off then I need to deal with the other parties insurance company for buying it back as they are potentially liable for the payout and would therefore be the owners of the (my) written off car?

This might sound like a stupid question but am I right to presume that if it's written off then I need to deal with the other parties insurance company for buying it back as they are potentially liable for the payout and would therefore be the owners of the (my) written off car?

Not sure buddy, I would've thought your insurers sort everything out, agree a value, pay you etc and then finally hand the 3rd party insurance company the bill but I may be wrong.

Are you sure you want to buy it back? It will always be a CAT car. Selling it and potentially insuring it will be a headache.

Are you sure you want to buy it back? It will always be a CAT car. Selling it and potentially insuring it will be a headache.

Aye but you'll know how much damage there was and that it's been repaired properly and not bodged.

If you keep photos and paperwork of the repair then it shouldn't be too hard to shift. If I was buying a car and a Cat D was good value and the seller had pics and could tell me what was done to fix it then it wouldn't bother me.

Also if you do buy another car, there's no guarantee that doesn't have any issues, there's plenty of cars for sale with unrecorded damage.

I wouldn’t buy a cat car no matter how many pictures, receipts, promises, the cheque is in the post......

Once it’s on the register, rightly or wrongly, it’s a bad ‘un.

Not worth the hassle imo.

Have it repaired if that’s an option and keep it if you like it.

Or take your money and move on.

Let’s be honest, selling a used car is a PITA at the best of times.

Do you really need the hassle of revisiting the event in a few years time when you come to sell?

Last edited:
If you're planning to keep it forever, being a Cat car doesn't matter. Unfortunely, I believe the large majority of drivers wouldn't buy a Cat car, and would be put off from the moment they read it in the adverts, and would be seriously unimpressed if the vendor didn't mention it, and they went on to view or buy.

Excuse me if I've read your post incorrectly but whose insurance are you claiming from?

I ask because whilst your insurance company has the right to declare the repair uneconomic, when claiming from the lorry driver's insurance company, you are entitled to insist the car is returned to the condition it was in prior to the collision, regardless of cost.

In other words, the third party's insurers are not entitled to right your car off/ declare it uneconomic to repair.

Excuse me if I've read your post incorrectly but whose insurance are you claiming from?

I ask because whilst your insurance company has the right to declare the repair uneconomic, when claiming from the lorry driver's insurance company, you are entitled to insist the car is returned to the condition it was in prior to the collision, regardless of cost.

In other words, the third party's insurers are not entitled to right your car off/ declare it uneconomic to repair.
I am actually using Mercedes Inchcape (who use Auxillis) to handle it all.

My question was to try and work out a write off value percentage and therefore whether is is likely to be written off (ie company X may set 50% as a repair ceiling whereas company Z may set it at 60%).

My car is realistically worth £18500 so £10500 plus loan car is borderline.

Just trying to get ahead of the game and do some maths.

Si

This is a grey area. My wife's C-Class Estate was written off when we did not want it to be. Both insurers argued that the car was beyond economic repair. They did offer to sell me the car, which I declined (didn't want the hassle). But there is a "tipping point" at which insurers just write it off. That used to be around the 60% of market value, but the factor into that cost potential underestimates and overspend on the repairs.

My wife's car appeared ( to the novice) to require: Bonnet, wing, headlight, grills etc. But then we were told it needed. Inner wing: Suspension, chassis jig etc.. The costs ratchet up very quickly.

So if my 15 year old a class gets hit by a lorry and it’s worth £1500, I can insist that the 3rd party insurers spend £9000 repairing it !
I wondered what was driving the premiums up ?

Well that's that one answered.

Got an email today stating that the repairs have been authorised.

Happy with that.

HD

Whilst I would not to like have this happening to my CLS I cannot see where they reached 10 k plus for repairs.
Just prior to my XF being written off (category B ) in a non fault accident the car was fitted with four new doors due to severe corrosion. Cost of this was half of this estimate.

That won’t cost the insurer £10k plus to repair, it’ll be nearer to £3k once they’ve wrangled with the body shop; over £10k to repair that damage is tantamount to profiteering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom