Window Shades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Like many of you on here, I have a child with another due at the end of December. I use my W211 as my Dad wagon and use those annoying stick on blinds for the side windows. I'm not hugely into window tints but have seen these custom fit window blinds.

www.carshades.co.uk

These guys seem to do blinds that clip into the window frames and do the rear side windows and back screen. Easy enough to fit/remove but actually look quite tidy, far better than blinds suctioned onto the windows.

Anyone have any experience of these?

I had a set of these from the same place in an E60 BMW. Unless you're very close to the car you can't tell they're shades. Easy to fit. Easy to remove and cheaper than film tints. The fit was very good. In fact, my boy has my old car and still has them in there to keep the sun from his little 'un.

Thanks Nat, that's really helpful. Looks like I may have go down this route. Also thinking the same for the other half's CLS as that will be the other family wagon.

They certainly look good and even if you can see they are shades, if they fit as well as they appear to that's no bad thing. :)

Just found these. I knew I had them stashed away somewhere.
CQDzieb.jpg

jYl6gwN.jpg

Alex,

Same as yourself I had my first W211 and was considering what to do regards the sun blinds etc. In the end I bought another higher spec W211 (not for that particular reason!) which has the factory blinds built into the rear door cards - really neat and useful (you can open the windows with the blinds in place too) :cool:

A bit of a long shot but could be worth asking some of the breakers or looking on eBay for a set of the factory fit ones, you might be lucky? :thumb:

Thanks for the replies chaps. Didn't know about the factory blinds, they sound pretty cool.

Must say the windows on the BMW look good Nat, like you said you wouldn't know from that distance that they weren't tinted.

I thought that the blinds were factory fit on the 5series. Mine had them and the electronic rear window blind.

Another couple of pictures of the other side. I didn't take any from the back.

NUmJEu1.jpg

NxJRjdm.jpg

I thought that the blinds were factory fit on the 5series. Mine had them and the electronic rear window blind.

Sadly not. This one had nearly every option box ticked apart from heated seats :eek: and a moonroof. Great car. It was a rare 530i manual that was great on fuel. It gave way to a CLS500 a couple of years ago.

I have them on a BMW E60 and a Hyundai ix35. Very easy to fit. Work very well - keep the cabin cool during warm weather and add privacy. I bought them mainly for protecting newborn from the sun in the back of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I’ve also been thinking about something like this. No kids in the offing when I spec’d my W204 six years ago so I didn’t include tints. But after giving up all hope, we now have a gorgeous littl’n regularly travelling in the back (in a rear-facing seat). As cute as she looks in sunglasses, they don’t give her as much protection as we’d like.

My question is, do the blinds reduce views out of the car? Can we still see clearly through them from the inside?

My question is, do the blinds reduce views out of the car? Can we still see clearly through them from the inside?

The in-door ones on my 211 (without privacy) and the in-door ones on my 212 (with privacy glass) didn't/don't stop the rear seat passengers seeing out. You look through them.

I’ve had a set of these on three different motors and had they made a set for the Panamera they would be on that too. All three cars had privacy glass already but the UV shades make them look pure black and yes you can still see through them quite easily. The first set I purchased were from a German company (can’t remember the name) which like all German products were excellent. The rear screen was a single shade whereas the ones you are looking mostly use two pieces that fit together to make up the screen. This leaves a thick vertical edging in the middle of the rear screen, slightly annoying but you do get used to it.

baby_sunglasses_on_baby_1_grande.jpg

Let's not over-engineer this. Car windows are already tinted. Kids need shades for a time. But, honestly, how long for?

From memory, we used them a few times, in the Summer, for long trips.

You don't need sun shades to go to the Park, Waitrose, Starbucks, or even Grandma's

and you definitely don't need them for six months of the year (We live in the UK)

Don't we spend enough money, and effort, on tiny arrivals which would be better spent when they're bigger.

The Weather forecast.png

Last edited:
16A6AD4C-1891-49E1-B5F4-B73ADF77CCBF.jpeg
baby_sunglasses_on_baby_1_grande.jpg

Let's not over-engineer this. Car windows are already tinted. Kids need shades for a time. But, honestly, how long for?

From memory, we used them a few times, in the Summer, for long trips.

You don't need sun shades to go to the Park, Waitrose, Starbucks, or even Grandma's

and you definitely don't need them for six months of the year (We live in the UK)

Don't we spend enough money, and effort, on tiny arrivals which would be better spent when they're bigger.

View attachment 73244
I must admit that’s what I’ve been thinking. She can stay with her personal shades.

My daughter is four and hates sunglasses yet the sun still bothers her when it’s low!

With a second little one imminent I would rather these than the naff suction cup ones I’ve been using. Look better and appear easier to see through too.

I'm on my 4th set. I personally love them just for cosmetic reasons. Yes the rear window split is annoying but not annoying enough to justify paying twice as much (and alot longer lead times) for the German ones. Also bear in mind that they have at least 50 % resale value so what's to lose in giving them a go!!!

I looked at these but have opted to go for a tint instead as my little girl is a sun shade assassin ! She can't help but pull off, chew, rip or remove the mechanism from anything within reach.

Hahaha gotta love kids, they're like little shaven monkeys!! My daughter likes to just stick her hands on the glass so lovely hand prints. Could be far worse though I must admit.

they're like little shaven monkeys!!

LOL well said, don't they just make you want up plastic wrap everything behind the front seats including the back of the front seats :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom