Windows 10 Pro.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
On some retailers, Windows 10 Pro is around £120.

However, I've seen this kind of thing and it makes me suspicious even though the comments underneath seem to suggest it is genuine. I'd also be surprised if Amazon allowed any dodgyness to continue for any length of time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W56WYLV/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

How can they sell it so cheaply - are other vendors making a huge markup?

Groupon have had a Win10 offer for £19.99 for quite a while. I've not investigated as both our PC's are on Win7 quite happily (so far!).

Looks like the Amazon offer is a licence key, if you have win10 already installed it upgrades you to Win10Pro, not sure how you would upgrade from Win7/8 to 10 though.

This is just an upgrade license, you need to have a compatible OS already installed.

The £120+ sales are for the full software.

Run the compatibility program first to see if your setup will accept the upgrade.

Microsoft were giving the upgrade FOC until a couple of years ago. Once you have 10 installed all future OS are FOC

You might still be able to upgrade FOC

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Last edited:
OK, so the $64k question - is it worth upgrading from Win7 home/pro (our 2 PC's) to Win10?

If you have 10 home installed, you can upgrade it with a £4 key to pro from ebay

OK, so the $64k question - is it worth upgrading from Win7 home/pro (our 2 PC's) to Win10?

If it ain't broke don't fix it...

That said I upgraded when MS was rolling out WN10 (2yrs ago) and must say I find it quicker and more flexible than 7. Most software is now WIN10 but 10 will run 7 software perfectly well.

I couldn't see anywhere stating upgrade nor you needing a qualifying product.

Am I man looking?

Microsoft were giving the upgrade FOC until a couple of years ago. Once you have 10 installed all future OS are FOC

It's for new machines. I upgraded all the company ones which were worth doing and our family ones when it was free.

I think so.

Windows 10 is a real milestone in the history of Windows.

Now on build 1709, it's very stable and very reliable in my experience (of running it on around 200 > 250 company workstations including our computers and my dad's!).

Makes 8.1 and older look ancient.

So many good features.

The only negative is that I have to use Windows Media Player and I use VLC as the newer software doesn't play DVDs as they dropped the CODECS and they are a bit shyte to use.

Once Windows Media Player dies, if that is going to happen, I will need to find a new third party one.

Only to some.

Windows is vastly superior to me.

I leave it up to my users to decide what they want to use.

Both have good things and down sides.

Neither is perfect!

Oh B8******er, so do I upgrade wife's Dell Inspiron 1750 and my AMD PC to Win10 (leap into the unknown) or stick to Win7??

Oh B8******er, so do I upgrade wife's Dell Inspiron 1750 and my AMD PC to Win10 (leap into the unknown) or stick to Win7??

I was (am) more than happy with Win7 but when my laptop died the new one came with Win10. I was going to install Win7 but (a) All my programs installed and worked on 10 even though I thought there may be issues and (b) Win7 will eventually cease to be supported (way before Win10) and (c) I would have potentially have driver issues with the new laptop's hardware so I stuck with 10 and soon got used to it.

IMO there is nothing wrong with Win7 so if it is doing what you need it to, keep it.

I think if you are concerned, I'd leave it.

Windows 7 SP1 will still receive extended support (security patches) until very early 2020 so it is still technically supported. They just wont fix bugs now although after 5 years, Windows 7 SP1 should be stable enough by then (and it was in my experience).

However after that, I would suggest it is very important you do upgrade (Windows or your machines entirely) unless your computers never grace the Internet!

Microsoft are touting WIN10 as a 'perpetual' OS, in that there will be no further stand alone versions (WIN11, 12 etc). Instead MS will release updates and additional functions constantly and FOC.
Once on 10 you should never need to buy another WIN version .... supposedly...

Why would you need the Pro edition at home? The main features over the standard (non-Pro) edition is at it can join a Windows Active Directory Domain (AD), and that you can connect to the PC remotely using Remote Desktop Client (RDC). Not something a home user would need.

At any rate the Amazon link you provided is indeed for a full license (not upgrade), but it is an OEM license, which means it is for system builders and can only be (legally) sold by a retailer when bundled with a new PC, so you are in fact purchasing it as trade customer as possessed to end-user - though Microsoft have unofficially conceded that anyone assembling a PC at home (e.g. gamers) is in fact a 'system builder' and can use OEM license without infringing on the EULA. One aspect of the OEM license is that no support is provided by Microsoft - the assumption is that the system-builder (e.g. HP or Dell etc) will provide support for the product. So strictly speaking you should not be using it but form the technical point of view it will work.

Only to some.

Windows is vastly superior to me.

I leave it up to my users to decide what they want to use.

Both have good things and down sides.

Neither is perfect!

Wow John, are perfectly sane and rational response?? I must be on the wrong forum :p I was expecting to be flamed :)

Microsoft are touting WIN10 as a 'perpetual' OS, in that there will be no further stand alone versions (WIN11, 12 etc). Instead MS will release updates and additional functions constantly and FOC.
Once on 10 you should never need to buy another WIN version .... supposedly...

...the one on Amazon is 1607 (aka Anniversary Update or Redstone 1) so it's not the latest, but can be updated online to the latest version - currently 1803 (Redstone 4).

Some people might want Win 10 Pro for BitLocker encrption.

Some people might want Win 10 Pro for BitLocker encrption.

I built a system, some time ago, based on a shuttle chassis, with drives to my requirements at the time and using windows something, too long ago to remember.

Bought a new HP pc to replace as it was like me getting geriatric but was supplied with windows 10, I just could not hack it, only use pc for accessing tv when on holiday and updating tom tom, just throughly p11$$ed off with windows 10 and use mac for anything, intuitive to use and no problems, I would rather poke my eyes out with a rusty nail than use windows 10

We have a Windows 10 machine at work, as our back office used to be Windows only, I agree, I find it a horrible and seriously frustrating system to use.

My old man is now using Linux Mint as he found Win 10 too hard and all over the place.

Should a Linux Distro be easier to use than Windows?

Plug in a new printer on a Windows machine, 3 macs, Ubuntu and Mint see it no problem at all, Windows 10 machine on the network?? Nah. Hours of faffing.

Just basic things like hot corners so I can see all my apps on screen at once are things I miss.

It just feels sluggish too, compared to a Mint install on the same machine.

I reckon it is a good job it is becoming free, i needs to be.

I think the people above who like windows 10 are in the IT Industry? Or very knowledgeable of computers, us mere mortals like a computer that is intuitive to use and do not need a degree in computer science to drive the dam thing!:wallbash::wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom