Windows 10 Pro.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can you imagine buying a new Merc and needing to be a fully qualified Mercedes mechanic and having a full star diagnostics kit in the garage to drive it? Why should computers be different

All the posts defending windows bloody 10 are by knowledgable IT guys!;)

I'm not defending Windows 10 - just giving the other side of the story.

It's clear you prefer Macs so you should just switch.

I am not a fully qualified Merc mechanic so I have to take mine to someone else who is to fix it.

No different to a computer really...

Can you imagine buying a new Merc and needing to be a fully qualified Mercedes mechanic and having a full star diagnostics kit in the garage to drive it? Why should computers be different

I'm not defending it and have no opinion either way. It is just a tool to do a job & purely subjective. Some will like...some won't. There is no right or wrong just opinion. Each to their own.

I've only been in the IT/tecnology game for 25 years so not an expert yet [emoji6]

I started life/trained as a Mac engineer & looked after Spurs/****nal/West Ham for their Mac kit their IT guys didn't want to look after. Get involved in all sorts now & don't tend to give my cash to Apple. Had to buy the wife an Xmas pressie iPhone & it broke my heart to give them 500 quid of my own hard earned!

I have no real opinion on anything tech. I can tell you what is good or bad but it is up-to the customer (who is always right...I do mean that BTW) what they decide. A car is a car & if you can't unlock it, open the door, sit in then start & drive the car you shouldnt have a license. Shame there is no licence for computer use [emoji6]

I have helped all sorts of people & companies to do all sorts of stuff. Still to do this day after 25 years in the business it often amazes me how they expect the average Joe to do some of the stuff you have to do out of the box.

Made me laugh when we bought my son an XBox for xmas & his birthday. It took 2 days of updates/downloads before he could use the bl4sted thing. Setting up MS accounts, live accounts, parents accounts & this and that. Crazy joke really. He just wanted to plug it in and use it on Xmas morning. Never had that issue with bat and ball on an Atari VCS in my day!

Not so sure Mercedes cars and computers are that different.

For both, I find some technical knowledge and diagnostic capability are very useful accompaniments to successful ownership.

Apple have no presence in the professional IT market outside digital design. - We run huge server farms both Linux and Windows boxes, not a Apple in sight.

To Jo public they are better as they have a nicer GUI thats all. its all show and virtually no-go. - Its a Unix system anyhow.

I grew up with Macintosh's rather than PCs aswell - LCs, Performers, Power Mac 6100/66's, 8100s - Finder 7.1+ (Finder is the OS, before MAC OS).

If you dont want to tinker with your 'internet machine' buy a tablet (non-Apple ;) )

I don't mind thread creep at all.

Makes for a productive discussion sometimes!

Apple have no presence in the professional IT market outside digital design.

Of course they don't, but they are not really aiming to are they?

Surely the mac is just the best selling Linux distro isn't it?

It is stability......made easy.

I’ve yet to get to grips with efficient file handling on iOS which is a piece of pi55 on Windows. And I’m not keen on the way iOS sorts things out for me in the way it thinks I want them, when it usually isn’t. But basic operations such as Internet browsing do seem more straightforward on the iOS preferred browser (I have too many browsers loaded on Windows and use them all).

Regarding an earlier comment about Windows being unfriendly when adding new equipment, I linked a new wireless printer to the family’s network last night after drinking more than my fair share of a bottle of red. It was completely straightforward on everything, no matter which OS.

I don't think you can compare Mac OS with iOS?

I understood Mac "Linux" was so far removed from Linux that it couldn't technically be classed as that anymore.

Not that I know much about it other how to use command line!

But that was surely the point, it was the stability of Linux with one of the easiest user interfaces out there.

You now have other Linux Distros that look like osx as well.

Zorin..
gnome-shell-mac-os.jpg

...which allows you to chose OSX look or Windows look.....
Zorin-os-lookchanger-620x504.png

Then you have Elementary OS which feels and looks very similar to OSX..
Elementary-OS.png

Some Linux builds are meant to just be very stable and very easy to use, but then they tend to not allow you to tweak as much, which is why many like Linux in the first place, but they can be the best for just building a rock solid base OS if you 'know' the hardware.
That is the problem with Windows I suppose, the infinite combination of hardware. With a Mac they know the hardware, so they can tweak the balls out of the OS and 'know' it will work.

Apple have no presence in the professional IT market outside digital design. - We run huge server farms both Linux and Windows boxes, not a Apple in sight.

To Jo public they are better as they have a nicer GUI thats all. its all show and virtually no-go. - Its a Unix system anyhow.

I grew up with Macintosh's rather than PCs aswell - LCs, Performers, Power Mac 6100/66's, 8100s - Finder 7.1+ (Finder is the OS, before MAC OS).

If you dont want to tinker with your 'internet machine' buy a tablet (non-Apple ;) )
Those were the days? When 20mb hard drives were 5.25in and the size/weight of a house brick. Ram back then was 25 quid per 1mb!

I got involved in Macs at the end of OS 6 and PC's on Windows 3.11. Unfortunately IMHO Apple is rotten to the core. Like many capitalist scumbags.

I didn’t know I was. In fact I’m certain I wasn’t because I’ve never used a Mac.

No, you were comparing iOS with Windows, but iOS is very, very different to Mac OS, and the comparison is Windows vs Mac OS.

What iOS does with files is very different to what Mac OS does with files.

Those were the days? When 20mb hard drives were 5.25in and the size/weight of a house brick. Ram back then was 25 quid per 1mb!

I got involved in Macs at the end of OS 6 and PC's on Windows 3.11. Unfortunately IMHO Apple is rotten to the core. Like many capitalist scumbags.
Full-Height 5Mb Winchester Drives, mate ;)

Yes I'm that old...

Must be older than 45 then unless you started early than poor little me [emoji6]

No, you were comparing iOS with Windows, but iOS is very, very different to Mac OS, and the comparison is Windows vs Mac OS.

What iOS does with files is very different to what Mac OS does with files.
Sorry, I thought the thread was about Windows 10 and then went on to compare it with other operating systems. I introduced iOS to the discussion just because it’s far more widely used than Mac OS (but not as popular as Android which I never really got on with). If the discussion is intended to be just about operating systems for desktop PCs then I’ll bow out because my knowledge on that platform is limited to Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom